Notices

Roadtrip Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 01:57 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Roadtrip Suggestions?

Hey folks, so this Saturday 9th I'm off on a roadtrip with my 9 year old son. Taking my yr 2000 996 Cab from the San Francisco bay area to Vancouver BC and back. Attached is my rough route, I have hotels and some activities booked in Seattle and Vancouver, I changed my plan slightly and spending the first night on Vancouver island. We will be taking 7 days to get up to BC, a few days there then a quicker drive back home over 3 days down highway 5.

Anyone here have recommendations for must see things along the way? Thanks!

Chris
Old 06-07-2018, 11:06 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 467 Likes on 166 Posts

That sounds like an awesome trip. I've got a 2 little guys as well and would love to do a trip like that with them.

Let me put together some ideas for you and ask some of the other local guys over the next day or so. You definitely want to go up the 1 before Eureka from SF. Its some of the prettiest coast.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:08 AM
Elumere
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris(MA)
Hey folks, so this Saturday 9th I'm off on a roadtrip with my 9 year old son. Taking my yr 2000 996 Cab from the San Francisco bay area to Vancouver BC and back. Attached is my rough route, I have hotels and some activities booked in Seattle and Vancouver, I changed my plan slightly and spending the first night on Vancouver island. We will be taking 7 days to get up to BC, a few days there then a quicker drive back home over 3 days down highway 5.

Anyone here have recommendations for must see things along the way? Thanks!

Chris
I'll be leaving Saturday as well, but from LA. I'll see you on the open road, look for a silver 996.1 with red interior!
Old 06-12-2018, 10:53 AM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Well I'm on the road now and so far it's been amazing! Heading to Portland today
Old 06-12-2018, 11:08 AM
Elumere
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris(MA)
Well I'm on the road now and so far it's been amazing! Heading to Portland today
Awesome! As am I, but I took 3 days just in Cali (Mt Shasta loop, Highway 1, rt33 to rt25).
Old 06-12-2018, 06:10 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Got my first check engine light of the trip, I put a new gas tank vent valve in on the gas inlet before the trio but looks like I have another problem elsewhere
Old 06-14-2018, 01:35 AM
Elumere
Rennlist Member

That’s a code mine threw every now and then too. I did nothing, aside from changing the gas cap and delete the codes. So far it’s been trouble free for 12k miles.

Don’t fret it, it won’t kill your engine (likely)..
Old 06-15-2018, 10:52 AM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Elumere
That’s a code mine threw every now and then too. I did nothing, aside from changing the gas cap and delete the codes. So far it’s been trouble free for 12k miles.

Don’t fret it, it won’t kill your engine (likely)..
Yeah I had gross leak CEL's weeks before my trip so swapped out the gas tank vent valve but that one was new, reset it and it hasn't come back yet (touch wood). Leaving seattle today for vancouver
Old 06-19-2018, 10:45 AM
Elumere
Rennlist Member

So, do we get an update on your trip?

We’re now back in the States after a few great days in vancouver. We’re taking the inland route down, currently just outside of Yakima, WA.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:53 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Elumere
So, do we get an update on your trip?

We’re now back in the States after a few great days in vancouver. We’re taking the inland route down, currently just outside of Yakima, WA.
Yeah, crazy since I got back as I was living at my in-laws (kitchen at home being remodeled). Trip was a blast, only got that CEL twice on the whole trip, I checked one of the valves in the engine since getting back and its fine so it might have been caused by overfilling of the gas tank at various gas pumps.

Vancouver island was a slight let down as I messed up and booked a hotel too far away; their speed limits are very slow and lots of tourists slows things down. So ended up booking a closer hotel and eating the cost of two rooms for one night...ugh...

On the way back we circled around and took in crater lake; was amazing and clear. Will try and link a video from youtube

Will attach some pics with porsche content (of course)
Old 06-25-2018, 02:38 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Also took in this route from the porsche website; was a fun section. Radar detector really helped me out as the cops did have some speed traps in various places in Oregon and they seemed to leave their Ka bands on so could pick them up from far away
Old 06-25-2018, 02:43 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Oh and my trip was 2315 miles and I calculated (I think correctly) an average of 22mpg over the whole trip. This sounds about right as I didn't have a lead foot really and also hit some areas of suck traffic, mainly around portland/seattle and the border with canada
Old 06-27-2018, 02:13 AM
mrjonger
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's awesome. I can't wait until mine get's a little older.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:04 PM
Elumere
Rennlist Member

Thanks for sharing all that!

Maybe I’ll get it together soon to post my own trip.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:03 PM
j5m
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Fun photo.

If you ever do a similar route again, I'd make sure to hit Crater Lake. Love that place. Would also do some of the roads east of Interstate 5. Lassen is a great stop. Love the hike to the peak. What a view.

Quick Reply: Roadtrip Suggestions?