Where to park my expanding car collection? - Los Angeles

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 06:52 PM
jsimon777
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Where to park my expanding car collection? - Los Angeles

Hi All,

I'm interested in starting to expand my car collection. Ideally it will grow beyond the 3 stalls I have at my house. It's a bit of a chicken or an egg thing. I want to expand the collection but need a place to park and store them. Ideally parking for like 3-4 cars.

Anybody in Los Angeles have guidance for me? Where can I rent parking spaces? I'm in the San Fernando Valley.

Thanks!
Old 03-13-2018, 08:50 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would suggest looking for a warehouse complex that has "units" for rent. This allows one to have a secure venue for your cars without worry of any exposure to the public at large. Insurance companies always want to know where your cars are stored and will ask for pix of same. Some on Rennlist do this and it can amount to enough space for three or four cars or, at the other extreme, an airplane hanger for the rest of their "hobbies".
Old 03-15-2018, 05:56 PM
bmw_e30
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 112 Posts

i know of a car garage in el Segundo if you are seriously interested. its something like this

http://www.crevierclassiccars.com/storage
Old 03-25-2018, 12:27 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

I don’t know your area but I do know about offsite car storage. You have several options:

1) Up here in the Bay Area we have Autovino, among others, that provide full-service vehicle storage. It is expensive but everything is taken car of and it is secure, http://auto-vino.com/. They can even store your car in a nitrogen bubble... really. These businesses can be found anywhere there is a density of wealth.

2) Warehouses partitioned into units. This is a hit-or-miss proposition and it entirely depends on what else is being stored there. Quite often, the secure partition is a chain link fence that separates plots within the warehouse and you could have someone storing cars in one, a boat in another, a contractor keeping tools in another, and so on. My problem with this type of storage is that it is easy for people to see what you have and I don’t like that.

3) Self-storage facilities...you know, the orange roll-up door or equivalent places. Ground level units in these facilities can easily store a car and the bigger ones can go 2-3 vehicles. Not all of them allow for the storage of vehicles so you have to check but they are secure, have camera systems, coded gates, and a manager who is on duty and often lives on-site. These places have the benefit of hiding in plane sight, most people expect these units to be holding household stuff or operating as a business storage, and with additional protections you can install, like a battery cutoff, they are a good option to consider.

4) Sharing with someone you know. It’s not hard to find someone who has a similar problem and you team up on a small warehouse. This is my favorite option because you can find a small warehouse unit in some non-descript tilt-up complex for a reasonable price and nobody will ever know what you have in there. I have cars in an arrangement like this and when I walked in for the first time I was breathless “holy ****, there’s an F40 along with a Boss 302 and a Hemi Cuda!”. You would never expect that this crappy warehouse in an industrial area close to my home would house these cars. The downside is that you have to provide your own security system, which is actually really easy to do these days with internet connected cameras and sensors. You are also committing to a lease and it will be more expensive than the 3rd party partitioned warehouse or self-storage, but you have complete control over the facility.

Last edited by jnolan; 03-25-2018 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:54 AM
FastFasterTurbo
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My friends store their cars in warehouse units. There are a lot of options in LA where you can get 4-6 cars in a single unit. We also use the offices in the front to share a drink, watch a game, or entertain clients.
Old 07-28-2019, 02:15 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 149 Posts

Would anyone be willing to share what some of these going rates are? I would be interested.
Old 07-28-2019, 03:12 PM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

A couple of friends stored cars in Pasadena in N Chester Ave. to the best of my knowledge, they were full and here was a waitlist. Not sure this is the case these days.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:48 PM
FastFasterTurbo
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bcrdukes
Would anyone be willing to share what some of these going rates are? I would be interested.
75 cents per square foot in El Monte. 80-90 cents per square foot in Arcadia.
Old 08-15-2022, 03:32 AM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 149 Posts

Hi folks,

Old thread but wanted to bump this up to see if anything has changed. I see some boutique storage facilities such as West Collector Car Storage just a few miles north of LAX but have yet to inquire about their storage fees.
The following users liked this post:
mattyf (08-27-2022)

Quick Reply: Where to park my expanding car collection? - Los Angeles