Vendor Announcements A place for Rennlist Sponsors to post new products, sales, and deals for members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AutoQuest Motorsport - Titanium Caliper Piston Pucks for the Failing Factory Ceramics

Old 08-26-2017, 04:58 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default AutoQuest Motorsport - Titanium Caliper Piston Pucks for the Failing Factory Ceramics

The Issue

We have found that the majority of enthusiastically driven/tracked GT4's and 991 GT3/RS's coming through our shop have failing or failed factory ceramic caliper piston pucks. Regardless of whether the brakes are factory Steel or PCCB calipers, there are factory ceramic pucks screwed to the face of the pistons that serve as a thermal barrier between the pads and the pistons, lessening the heat transfer to the fluid. Due to the intense heat and heat cycles from hard/extended braking, the ceramic pucks are becoming brittle and disintegrating. Early signs of this are cracking or chipping. Broken or lack of ceramic puck material may cause reduced braking effect and additional heat transfer through the pistons and into the fluid. If a large number of the ceramic pucks were to fail this could lead to significant braking issues.

This problem is often overlooked during pad replacement, as technicians are not aware of the issue and are not checking for it. Unfortunately replacement ceramic pucks are not available, Porsche only offers complete replacement calipers. They will only replace the calipers under warranty if the car is running OE pads and rotors. Even if replacement calipers are installed, the issue will ultimately happen again. To prevent spending thousands on new calipers and to solve the issue once and for all....

Titanium Piston Pucks. They offer similar thermal qualities to ceramic pucks but will not fail under repeated heat cycling. Titanium alloy proved to be the best solution, and although expensive it maintains a thermal barrier as compared to stainless steel which allows heat transfer to the fluid.

We have installed them on numerous GT4's and GT3's over the last year with no noticeable change in brake feel or fluid temperature. Our experience has shown this to be a long-term solution, eliminating the need for expensive and repetitive complete caliper replacements.

Fitment:

• 918 Spyder
  • 991.1/991.2 GT3
  • 991.1/991.2 GT3RS
  • 991.1/991.2 Turbo
  • 991.1/991.2 Turbo S
  • 991 911R
  • 981 GT4

Price:

Front: $57.92 per piston puck (there are 12 of these smaller piston pucks required)

Rear: $58.75 per piston puck (there are 8 of these larger rear piston pucks required)

If you have any questions or are interested in placing an order, please feel free to PM me, email me at john@autoquestms.com, or call me at 484 883 6197 (Cell) or 239 432 1700 (Work, just ask for John). Also, if you are in Florida give me a shout! I'd love to meet up with some of the locals, or those that are visiting the area.

Factory Ceramics - Cracking

Factory Ceramics - Chipping

Factory Ceramics - Breaking

AutoQuest Titanium Replacements

Last edited by AutoQuest Motorsports; 10-25-2017 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-07-2017, 02:24 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

For those with GT4's or if you know someone that has one...we just released our shorter final drive ratio to take care of that long gearing once and for all! : )

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AutoQuest Motorsport - Titanium Caliper Piston Pucks for the Failing Factory Ceramics