Notices
Vehicle Marketplace - Old A place for Rennlist Members & Sponsors to sell their new & used vehicles.
Mark this thread as Unsold
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Cont. Porsche Models:

Mileage (numbers only please):

Color:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Transmission Type:

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

FS: 1996 993 Turbo Arena Red/Cashmere 50K miles

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 02:25 PM
Boober
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FS: 1996 993 Turbo Arena Red/Cashmere 50K miles

Year: 1996
Make: Porsche
Model: 911
Cont. Porsche Models: 993 Turbo
Mileage (numbers only please): 50500
Options (Please check ALL which apply): Airbags, Air Conditioning, Alarm System, Antilock Brakes, Cruise Control, Foglamps, Intermittent Wipers, Leather Seats, Power Brakes, Power Door Locks, Power Steering, Power Windows, Sunroof, Traction Control
Color: Arena Red
VIN: WP0AC2990TS376084
Price (no $ sign please): $119000
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (Region): Midwestern
Body Style: Coupe
Transmission Type: Manual - 6 speed
2 or 4 Wheel Drive?: 4 Wheel Drive
Engine Type: Turbo
Stereo System: AM-FM CD

UPDATED PHOTOS ON SECOND PAGE

A career change has forced me to sell my dream car.

I am only the second owner of this incredible and unique machine. The original owner ordered it as a 50th birthday present to himself and the car spent its first 18 years cruising around Massachusetts during mild New England summers. He covered 47,000 miles driving back and forth between his home near Boston and his beach house on the coast. Rigorously maintained (full records included) and always stored in a temperature controlled garage for the colder months, this car was an immaculately preserved gem when I first saw it (clearly enjoyed but never abused). And it must be seen in person to be appreciated. The Rootwood interior trim may not be popular with some folks, but with the combination of Arena Red and Cashmere leather, the warm Rootwood accents really enhance the overall presence of the car. Other unique options include titanium painted brake calipers and the rare "bat phone" cell phone console (see the window sticker for a full listing of options).

During my two years of ownership, I have endeavored to keep this car in pristine shape as well as make my own personal touches to address some of the less desired traits of these cars (the off-road stock ride height and too quiet exhaust to be specific). After just a few months of ownership, I installed Bilstein PSS10 coilovers and Fabspeed turbo sport catted X-pipe and supercup mufflers. Now the car looks right and sounds right (IMHO). I have driven approximately 3,000 miles since these were installed. I also addressed the primary exterior cosmetic faults by having the front bumper restored and repainted. I then had a clear bra installed on the bumper, as well as partial fenders and hood. Shortly after owning the car, a careless person backed her car into the drivers side rear fender while in a parking garage. The damage was minor, consisting of a small dent and a scratch but the only way to restore the panel to proper condition was to repaint the fender and blend into the doors and rear bumper. This work was performed by the premier shop in my area and the work was flawless. There are no masking lines (side glass was taken out as well) and the paint is a perfect match.
In the summer of 2015, I updated the turbo feed lines to the 996 turbo style braided hoses with check valves. The stock turbos have shown no sign of coking and appear to be in excellent shape. The intake and intercooler pipes are clean and dry, and there is no smoke at start-up.
This year, I have worked to address the further maintenance needs with a 20 year old car . I recently had the spark plugs/wires/cap/rotor and drive belts replaced. While the plugs were removed, I went ahead and had a compression/leak down test performed. As expected, the numbers were very good:
CYL 1, 130psi, 6%
CYL 2, 135psi, 4%
CYL 3, 140psi, 3%
CYL 4, 135psi, 4%
CYL 5, 135psi, 4%
CYL 6, 140psi, 3%

I also had both lower valve cover gaskets replaced as the left side had developed a slow leak when the engine was shut off. The latest work performed was to fix the check strap for the drivers door. The work was performed by the same, highly experienced, personnel who performed the paint work in 2014.

Though it has covered over 50,000 miles in the past 20 years, it certainly doesn't show it. This car needs nothing but the loving care and attention it's received its whole life. At my asking price of $119,000 I feel that it represents a great value for the money.

UPDATE:
I wanted to update my thread as several people have come to me with the same general questions and it occurred to me that I should provide some more details here.

Exterior: I feel the exterior is a SOLID 9 out of 10. It's not perfect but there are no dents or scratches and though there may be a number of rock chips, 99% are so small as to only be seen up very very close and over a period of time (say repeated waxing). There is only 1 noticeable chip on the corner of the front drivers side fender right at the edge with the front bumper. There is road rash on the inside most part of the front fenders behind the front wheels but not at all easily noticeable (as they are actually inside the wheel well). I touched them up with Dr. Colorchip. There IS a dent on the inside rocker of the drivers door frame but it would be difficult to repair and is only visible when the door is opened so I chose not to address it.

Interior: I feel the interior is 9.5 out of 10. There are only two areas that do not present as near new condition, That would be the obvious drivers seat left side bolsters and the drivers side door wood trim piece. The seat is in great shape and the wear is not excessive in the least. A quick Color-Plus type leather restoration to those small areas would make it in nearly as-new condition. The door trim has a hair line crack running vertically along the middle. It has honestly never bothered me so I've left it alone. I'm sure there are ways to hide it but again, it's not very noticeable.

Mechanicals: The clutch is the original one as far as I have found in looking through past records. It has never shown any sign of slippage in my ownership and the service tech stated as such. He did say that the accumulator will likely need changed within the next year or so but that is a relatively small job. There are no leaks that I know of. Again, the engine and transmission/drivetrain appear to be in excellent condition. The front bushings are original as far as my records show, but they also appear to be in good shape. The shifter might need new bushings eventually. The brakes are in great condition, best pedal feel of any car I have ever owned or driven.

Tires: the tires are Michelin Pilot Sport Plus A/S and were installed at the end of May 2012. The latest check in July stated that all 4 tread depth are 7/32" or greater.

Wheels: the wheels are the original hollow spoke twists and I would say they are 8 out of 10, no curb rashes or dents. There are a few areas where the paint has flaked off around the rims and I had planned to send them out for refinishing this fall but obviously the next owner can decide to do that or not.

I think that about covers the bulk of questions I've received.

I will attach more photos soon.
Attached Images        

Last edited by Boober; 09-06-2016 at 08:59 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 08-28-2016, 08:37 PM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
Stunning. GLWS
It really is, glws
Old 08-29-2016, 01:04 AM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

I am drooling...!
Old 08-29-2016, 02:26 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

hard car to let go.

GLWS
Old 08-29-2016, 02:29 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

holy batman, robin! glws
Old 08-29-2016, 02:43 AM
raidentech.com
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the cellular phone console!
Old 08-29-2016, 09:26 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Very good presentation. The PPI is done. Ready to be bought. Priced to sell. Good luck on your new job.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:14 AM
Boober
Racer

Thanks for your comments guys. I'm honestly gutted to see it go but not much choice. Though I didn't get to use it as much as I planned, it's been a great car and will hopefully give the next owner more of the same.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:16 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought you'd have this one forever. GLWS.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:14 PM
Boober
Racer

Me too, funny how things go sometimes. On the bright side, I'm slowly coming along with my Sierra Cosworth clone project. Should have her running by October then ready for paint. Maybe I can finish it by Carlisle next year.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:16 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Originally Posted by Boober
Me too, funny how things go sometimes. On the bright side, I'm slowly coming along with my Sierra Cosworth clone project. Should have her running by October then ready for paint. Maybe I can finish it by Carlisle next year.
Keep me posted on that. When it's done I'll come out and see it.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:44 PM
Boober
Racer

OT but it's my FS thread so whatever. I don't have a pic of the most recent engine status but all hose have been installed, just sorting the wiring now. I've got to install the fuel tank and get all of the trunk mounted battery wiring sorted and can get her running.

Old 08-29-2016, 05:26 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Looks like Guards Red in the sun too.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:46 PM
Boober
Racer

It's close but more orange. It's Scarlet Red from 90's Dodge Stealth. I painted my first car (XR4Ti) in this color and have always wanted to see a Cosworth in it.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:23 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

993 Turbo is the one I'd love to have but unfortunately timing is just not right. Great looking car, glws.

Quick Reply: FS: 1996 993 Turbo Arena Red/Cashmere 50K miles