Notices
Vehicle Marketplace - Old A place for Rennlist Members & Sponsors to sell their new & used vehicles.
Mark this thread as Unsold
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Cont. Porsche Models:

Mileage (numbers only please):

Color:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Transmission Type:

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

1989 Porsche C4 Coupe Guards Red 5sp 3.8L

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 06:07 PM
Dave White
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 Porsche 964 C4 *****SOLD*****

Year: 1989
Make: Porsche
Model: 911
Cont. Porsche Models: 964 C4
Mileage (numbers only please): 88000
Options (Please check ALL which apply): Air Conditioning, Antilock Brakes, Cruise Control, Foglamps, Intermittent Wipers, Leather Seats, Power Brakes, Power Door Locks, Power Steering, Power Windows, Sunroof, Traction Control
Color: Guards Red
Price (no $ sign please): $55000
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (Region): Midwestern
Body Style: Coupe
Transmission Type: Manual - 5 speed
2 or 4 Wheel Drive?: 4 Wheel Drive
Engine Type: Fuel Injection
Stereo System: AM-FM CD

After a few years of debating this, I finally decided to put my beloved C4 up for sale. I have owned the car around 18 years. As it was one of the first 964s, it developed the dreaded head leak, and when I finally couldn't take it anymore, I had it rebuilt top to bottom, and while I was in there......!!!!! 3.8 Mahle racing pistons and cylinders, ported and decked the heads, rear blower delete, JIC lowering suspension, upgraded brakes(928S4/993), braided brake lines, and some stiffer elephant racing bushings, just for upgrades. Everything was rebuilt or replaced including alternator, dual distributors, power steering pump, wheel bearings, cv joints, a/c condenser, starter, belts, even the expensive awd solenoids. The two things I can think of that were not done was the fuel pump and the high pressure brake pump, as they tested fine. The bottom end is a rebuilt 92 unit, as mine wouldn't quit leaking for some reason so it was swapped, and the whole top end was gone through with no expense spared. I wanted a non leaking, better than new car, and thats what I got! All the work was done by Steinels Autowerks in Twinsburg, OH in 2011. I have since put maybe 4000 miles on the car. The finishing touches that it needs are the following: There are a few rust bubbles around the windshield seal, I never got around to finding someone to do the work and replace the original windshield while they are at it as it has the typical pitting and a chip.Repaired 9/8/16 The custom Steve Wong chip needs dyno'd and optimized for the car to be the best it can be. It currently stands on old tires that need replaced due to age as well. the paint has been retouched over the years, but there are a few dings in the hood and of course the mentioned bubbles on the cowl under the window seal. It's a driver, and I thouroughly enjoyed it over the years. After the rebuild, I went through a divorce and my priorities changed. Lately, I am more into motorcycles, so the car just sits. I have driven it on vacation a few times to the east coast and northern Michigan, it never has let me down. Hopefully, someone else can enjoy it as much as I have. The interior is as I bought it, original, except the stereo and speakers, which are Alpine. There are some added LED's from previous alarm systems before I bought it, I have some spare vinyl pieces to replace it to new, just never got to it. The A/C was working fine until last year, may just need a recharge, as it was perfect after the new condenser a few years ago. JUST CHARGED 7/7, WORKS FINE. The clock works fine but will not set. Those are the only issues. PPI's welcome with a deposit. I will put up more info and a link to more pictures in the next few days. I have records only from my time with the car. Located in Akron, OH area.

Last edited by Dave White; 11-23-2016 at 09:49 AM. Reason: sold
Old 06-05-2016, 07:57 PM
rswamy29
Instructor

Awesome car, GLWS... Have you dynode it?
Old 06-05-2016, 08:22 PM
Dave White
Racer

No, I never got around to it, started traveling for work, then never got back to it with life changes.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:58 PM
Dave White
Racer

I forgot to mention the drivers side heated mirror glass has some marks and would need to be replaced to be perfect. I was going to change to Aero mirrors, so I didn't replace it, but never did. If anyone wants a more specific photo, let me know! The two bubbles around the windshield are in the first group of photos.
The more I think about the car, the more I remember, I also had the injectors sent out to be cleaned and flow tested as well. Original owners manual included, compressor, most of the tools I think?, reflector kit, and I've never seen another one, original first aid kit, in German of course! Will entertain legitimate offers.

Last edited by Dave White; 11-23-2016 at 09:50 AM. Reason: sold
Old 06-06-2016, 05:18 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,049 Likes on 666 Posts

Looks like you replaced the engine bay sound insulation pad while you had the engine out too.
That's always a big plus, since it's next to impossible to do with the engine still in.

nice car Dave.
=Steve
Old 06-06-2016, 06:12 PM
zizu
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Beautiful 964 C4. I still miss mine and regret selling it. Something special about them.
I wish there was no rear spoiler though, I like the clean look without IMHO.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:25 PM
Dave White
Racer

The turbo tail was there when I bought it, it was what sold me on the car as I don't like 911s without it.(too round) But, that was the 90s! It has an added switch on the center console that used to operate the electric tail as the first year didn't have one. The deck lid still has the motor for the tail, might still work?
Cosmetically, I only updated the wheels to Cup 1 replicas, which gained me 1.5" of rubber in the front, and 1" in the back. That made a huge difference in handling. It's a great car, I will miss it. I have one of the original posters for the series that my car is probably in, with the first 100 guards red cars in a pirouette that my wife bought for me and had framed.

Last edited by Dave White; 06-06-2016 at 09:58 PM.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:47 AM
Dave White
Racer

Lowered the price! $58,000 I babied this car, no track days and only 1 autocross over the years, and that was before the complete rebuild. The engine was properly broke in by me after the rebuild for 1k miles, then the valves were re-adjusted. It's ready to be driven for a long time to come. Please PM any questions or offers.

Last edited by Dave White; 06-10-2016 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:56 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Stienels does great work ,Price for cell phone viewers?

Last edited by Chaos; 06-10-2016 at 10:21 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:43 PM
Dave White
Racer

Anyone interested? Really, I don't bite. I have $30,000 in the rebuild and all of the mechanical updates and refreshening. Mechanically it is brand new with only a few thousand miles on the engine, suspension, and all of the wear items. Cosmetically, very little needs done to bring it to 100% and personalize it. PM me with concerns, etc.
Old 06-16-2016, 05:17 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Yea I gotta agree Dave. This is a delicious car, and at a price that "should" attract, given markets these days. Getting harder & harder to find too. It's all about finding the right person with the right funds,... at the right time.

If I didn't already have one of similar vintage (mine's a '91), same color,.... I'd jump on something like this ('course I'm a bit more of a wide body guy). I like the mods you've done. Everything seems reversible, if someone ever wanted to. Of course the "collectors" who want examples that are already all original, are going to pass,... but I would expect there are many who want to buy something with a little "extra" in the way of personalized,... but knowing in the back of their mind that it could be put back to stock.

GLWS.

And hey, why not post more pics (interior/dash/etc, & exterior)! We all love looking.... (Edit: oops. sry, I see them in the photobucket)
=Steve
Old 07-08-2016, 07:27 PM
Dave White
Racer

Recharged the AC yesterday, working fine.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:47 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Whoaaaa!!... this is still for sale????

Come on guys,... somebody buy Dave's car,.. before I go & do something stupid like suggest this purchase to my wife (& use some lame excuse like we should help my 21 yr old son finance it,.. cuz they are getting more & more expensive & he'll never be able to buy one when he's outta college by 10 yrs...). I'm sure to get myself deep into trouble with any "justification" I might conjure up.

UGHHHHH!!!!!

I still love this car.
Old 07-09-2016, 04:45 PM
teaberry
4th Gear

Hi Dave, Rennlist is a bit confusing. Is there a way to PM contact emails so we can discuss about the car? I am in Texas and very interested. Thank you.
Originally Posted by Dave White
Recharged the AC yesterday, working fine.
Old 07-09-2016, 04:57 PM
Dave White
Racer

You would click on my name and send me a message. I just sent you one, so check your profile page for messages. Thanks

Quick Reply: 1989 Porsche C4 Coupe Guards Red 5sp 3.8L