Notices
Vehicle Marketplace - Old A place for Rennlist Members & Sponsors to sell their new & used vehicles.
Mark this thread as Unsold
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Cont. Porsche Models:

Mileage (numbers only please):

Color:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Transmission Type:

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

1987 944 Turbo w/76K miles, original paint and all records.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 12:50 AM
sempaipaul
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 22 Posts
Thumbs up 1987 944 Turbo w/76K miles, original paint and all records.

Year: 1987
Make: Porsche
Model: 944
Cont. Porsche Models: 944 Turbo
Mileage (numbers only please): 76000
Options (Please check ALL which apply): Airbags, Air Conditioning, Alarm System, Antilock Brakes, Cruise Control, Foglamps, Leather Seats, Power Brakes, Power Door Locks, Power Windows, Sunroof
Color: Black
Price (no $ sign please): $10000
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (Region): NorthEast
Body Style: Coupe
Transmission Type: Manual - 5 speed
2 or 4 Wheel Drive?: 2 Wheel Drive
Engine Type: Fuel Injection
Stereo System: AM-FM CD

For sale: 1987.5 Porsche 944 Turbo. I purchased this car approximately 8 months ago fairly locally. The vehicle has sat for approximately 3-4 years prior to me obtaining it – and, I purchased it as my goal has always been to own a superior 944 Turbo. The car was the perfect candidate for me to make it 110% with it’s 76K original miles, original paint, and overall good condition. Now that I am 95% through my goal – my plans have changed and I am trying to sell a few of my vehicles (this 944 and a 71 Super Beetle). The car has its records back to day #1 – and some of the major services include the following:
  • 2015 – Full, complete timing belt service with all rollers/tensioners, belts, camshaft oil seals, all new gaskets, all new coolant hoses, all new oil cooler seals, oil pump drive hear, thermostat, water pump, oil seals, power steering pump, cam tower gaskets, spark plug wires, rotor, spark plugs, (close to $4,000 parts and labor)
  • 12/13/2003 – All new front engine seals, guides, retention belts, engine cooler seals, all hoses, complete flush of system, replacement of thermostat and CV joints. Replacement of Alt/AC belts, cap/rotor, alternator, motor mounts, replace hood shocks - $2,812.41
  • 08/20/1997 – Remove and inspect transmission torque tube and bell housing. Replace clutch and release bearing. Replace flywheel seal, sand clean the flywheel. - $2,062.93 (72,446 miles)
  • 10/26/1995 – Replace coolant pump, replace timing belt and balance belt, replace cooling hose ($1,418.64)
  • 03/28/1994 – New radiator
  • 10/23/1989 – Cooling system go through/part replacement

Plenty of other oil changes, 15K, 30K etc. maintenance invoices, brake changes, tire changes, alignments, battery replacements, tire balancing invoices as well.

I purchased the car and had it towed directly to my mechanic. My mechanic conducted all of the work identified above “2015”. After this I drove the car several days to work (80 mile round trips) and decided to take it to my body guy to get a small dent pulled/minor paint work completed on the rear right panel right under the tail light. He did a fantastic job pulling the dent and blending a small spot in the back right corner of the car. After this – I de-trimmed a large portion of the car and took it to my detailer who spent an excessive amount of time wet sanding, compounding and buffing the entire car. The car looked (and still looks) amazing. You would never be able to tell that the paint is close to 30 years old (especially as it’s a black car). Upon completion of detailing work – we installed new (used – crack free) rear tail-lights and properly resealed them to the body of the car via polybutaline “seal”. Additionally, we installed a new turbo badge and the car really started looking great. Upon completion of some of this detailing work – I got the car back into my garage and, decided to freshen it up under the hood a bit. One thing led to the next and I was replacing all kinds of seals (which weren’t replaced before) including the AOS seals, oil dipstick tube seal, coolant flange seals, etc. I went through and updated the heater hoses with silicone and installed a metal heat control valve to prevent failure of the stock plastic one. Additionally, I conducted a full venture delete via Lindsey Racing Kit; installed Lindsey Racing AOS hose and the J-boot. I replaced all of the clamps in the engine bay and, re-did all of the vacuum lines with silicone ones as well. I installed a Lindsey Racing boost controller (in the engine compartment as I thought that was a cleaner install). Additionally, I took apart the fuel rail, had the rail re-finished, had the injectors cleaned by WitchHunterPerformance, and replaced all of the 0-rings. The cam housing was removed and had its letters polished as well as the housing itself and the end caps painted. The intake manifold was removed and was cleaned and re-finished. Same occurred to the brake booster and the master brake cylinder. The turbo downpipe was wrapped in heat-shield wrap, the brake lines were replaced with stainless steel units. The engine bay was thoroughly cleaned, and – many brackets, mounts and such were refinished. Additionally much of the hardware was replaced with new screws, washers, bolts, etc. The intercooler was removed, professionally cleaned, and re-installed with new rubber mounts and hardware.

At this point – the car is 95% complete. The interior is quite nice. The rear seats/territory is like new. The front seats have rips up front on the lower cushions where they ”fold in”. You could easily re-wrap the lower bolsters and the seats would look fantastic. The dash has several cracks – HOWEVER, a new dash is included with NO cracks as well (probably a $1,200 value alone by the way these things sell online). The rear hatch area I did some work on as the car came with a custom speaker set up and the carpet was cut. I removed those speakers and purchased an additional rear hatch carpet, which I haven’t yet installed but, it will be included. You can decide on whether or not you want to run the custom speaker set up (Infiniti speakers). I am including new visors for the car, and a new cruise control stalk (I unfortunately snapped the stalk when I was under the car to loosen the brake booster) to remove it off the car. Additionally, I cleaned out all of the valve ports, installed all new manifold gaskets, K&N intake filters, upgraded diverter valve, power steering fluid reservoir (flushed the system too), went through the oil system of the turbo and replaced the seals, cleaned all the sensors, cleaned out and replaced the seals in the throttle body, flushed the brake fluid and the tranny entirely with new fluid. Also, flushed the cooling system entirely with new fluid as well.

With all of the above said --- the pros are as follows:
  • 1987.5 944 Turbo
  • Original 76K miles
  • Original paint (except for small area on back where dent was repaired)
  • Service records stemming back to the 80’s – and, a clutch service which was done just a few months ago.
  • Very many and very expensive services conducted last year which essentially have under 500 miles on them.
  • Car is 90-95% complete to being a really really nice Porsche 944 Turbo with very low miles.

The cons are as follows:
  • After conducting the vacuum line replacement with all new silicone lines and re-routing all those lines – the car has a strange idle where it’ll idle up itself, then come down. I am 100% confident that I hooked up a wrong vacuum line to somewhere (there are thousands of vacuum diagrams out there) so one would simply have to follow through my vacuum line running.
  • I was planning on going through and replacing all of the suspension bushings and installing coil overs on the car. It rides fine – but, new poly bushings and some coil overs would really bring out the perfection of the 50/50 balance of the car.
  • The interior could use the installation of the new dash (included); installation of the cruise control stalk (included); replacement of the visors (included); installation of new pedal rubber pads (included); installation of new rear seatbelt hinge enclosures (included); recovering of the bottom cushions of the front seat; re-installation of the old carpet and the speakers into the trunk; or, installation of the other “just carpet”.
  • The under side of the hood could benefit from the installation of the new heat-pads (included with nice “PORSCHE” symbol).
  • Installation of the new cowl cover panel (included) as I removed and went through the blower assembly and, never reinstalled the new cowl panel.
  • The wheels (Boxster 17” wheels) could use some new tires as the existing pirelli’s are showing some dry-rot.
  • The AC system needs to be gone through. I actually paid my mechanic close to $400.00 to convert it to R134 and, it worked great for over a week – however, then it stopped. Probably an easy fix.
  • The title shows “not actual mileage” due to a stupid mistake by the MVA in Ijamsville, MD at the time of last owners’ registration in 2007. The mileage was written down as 867,497 miles when it was supposed to be 67,497 miles (a ~9K mile increase since 2004; and not the 800K+ mile increase that unfortunately shows).

Lastly, the car has a full Borla exhaust with upgraded piping up front, and also has a chip. I have not opened up the DME to find out what exact chip it is. The vehicle has a Pro-Comp boost gauge along with an A/F gauge as well; and an alarm system. Factory – the car has power windows, locks, seats, etc.

I do not absolutely have to sell the car. I am now close to $11K into this thing not even counting the countless hours I have put into it myself recently. It’s not a show vehicle but with little effort it surely could be a pretty nice showstopper. All of the hard stuff is done --- and putting in a few weekends towards making it perfect could really provide you with an incredible daily driver – or, weekend warrior. I am reconsidering my overall car line up at this time (as I have 7 vehicles) and, trying to downsize to just my 1979 Carrera SC for my “toys” which I am thoroughly involved in restoring right now. With that – this car along with the 71 Super Beetle that I recently acquired have to go.

I am looking to get $10K due to the condition, amount of time and money vested, as well as the mileage and original paint condition. With that said however, I am negotiable as I’d like to sell and clear my garage space.

I will post pictures this weekend as I get some time off work.

Regards,
Paul
Old 02-11-2016, 09:54 AM
hlee96
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 124 Posts

Any pics? Cannot see your location from mobile app. Where is your location?

Thanks
Old 02-11-2016, 10:27 AM
kraeburn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interested, where in the Northeast are you? Feel free to PM me.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:10 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

This will go fast!
Old 02-11-2016, 11:41 AM
kidentist
Track Day

No photos???
Old 02-11-2016, 11:48 AM
sempaipaul
Rennlist Member

Guys,

I am in Gaithersburg MD.

Per the ad - pictures to follow this weekend. I received a lot of responses in past 12 hours as well so please bear with me.

Regards,
Paul
Old 02-11-2016, 11:51 AM
switchcars
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 468 Likes on 189 Posts

Not surprising. I was too late on this one or I'd buy it for inventory. Well below market value.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:47 PM
sempaipaul
Rennlist Member

Guys,

Pictures will be here early next week. The car is at my mechanic's for an oil change and, he's looking into my vacuum routing to see if he can figure out this weird idle. Along with that --- he is also updating the power steering hose (the original ones like to crumble). This was the only hose that wasn't done in the engine at the time we did all of the other work identified above.

I appreciate all of the responses and interest for the car. I will be responding to everyone in order of interest - so please, bare with me.

Regards,
Paul
Old 02-13-2016, 05:41 PM
MaddMike
Drifting

Received 1,737 Likes on 846 Posts

Sounds interesting...
Old 05-20-2016, 02:37 PM
bughaus
2nd Gear

Is this 944 still available?
Old 05-20-2016, 10:47 PM
Rey Gunn
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think this was a fake ad. Pics were never added and he never messaged me back.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:27 AM
bughaus
2nd Gear

oh well - guess our 944 search continues!
Old 05-21-2016, 12:10 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 634 Posts

never understand when this happens... why go to the effort and never follow up?
Old 05-21-2016, 07:13 PM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Rey Gunn
I think this was a fake ad. Pics were never added and he never messaged me back.
Fake ad? Who writes such a long for sale ad...only for the ad to be fake. Maybe he changed his mind or got a better offer but I wouldn't call it fake...at least that is my opinion but who knows.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:23 AM
sean911sc
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your going to write or cut/paste its best to add some pictures.

Quick Reply: 1987 944 Turbo w/76K miles, original paint and all records.