Notices
Vehicle Marketplace - Old A place for Rennlist Members & Sponsors to sell their new & used vehicles.
Mark this thread as Unsold
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Cont. Porsche Models:

Mileage (numbers only please):

Color:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Transmission Type:

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

1996 Porsche 993 Turbo Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 08:30 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 121 Posts

Year: 1996
Make: Porsche
Model: 911
Mileage (numbers only please): 30853
Options (Please check ALL which apply): Airbags, Air Conditioning, Antilock Brakes, Cruise Control, Intermittent Wipers, Power Brakes, Power Door Locks, Power Steering, Power Windows, Sunroof
Color: Arena Red
Price (no $ sign please): $80000
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (Region): NorCal
Body Style: Coupe
Transmission Type: Manual - 6 speed
2 or 4 Wheel Drive?: 4 Wheel Drive
Engine Type: Conversion
Stereo System: AM-FM Cassette

I want to address a few question that keeps coming up. This is NOT a race car. It's a hot street car that can hold it's own on the track for DE days. I've run it on the track 6 times and it's very capable.

Ride quality is outstanding on the street. Much more comfortable than stock due to the dual rate springs on the PSS9's. You can also soften/stiffen them to taste with the rebound adjustments.

The exhaust note is not loud. It's very civil. You can still talk on a cell phone without the exhaust overpowering the call. WOT it does get pretty loud but other than that no resonance etc.

While it's currently tuned for 100 oct fuel it can easily be re-tuned for 93 pump. It just wont make the same power as it does now. With 93 pump expect 400 crank HP. Since I have easy access to 100 & 116 Oct fuel it made sense to take advantage of that and the higher power levels it affords. The car is no way restricted to race fuel though.

AC blows VERY cold and heat works pretty well in milder climates.

Last edited by MarinS4; 05-01-2016 at 08:46 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:19 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Bump, Still available.....

Just returned from 3 weeks of traveling abroad. I apologize to those I have not gotten back to yet. Catching up on e-mails and PM's today.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:52 PM
melman911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice build Tom. You rarely see this color with black interior. GLWS!
Old 06-08-2016, 09:13 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

OMG... I just noticed the CA license plate "993TWIN". That's the plate from Waldo after he was sold to an out-of-state buyer. Nice to see my old plate on such a worthy car. GLWS. I would love to have your car.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:58 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 574 Likes on 363 Posts

Bring it to Cars and Coffee at Canepa this Saturday. We can try to convince Steve (ca993twin) to buy it.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:59 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

This is by far the best value car going for an air cooled.. Too bad not many aren't seeing it.

Steve should pick it up and enjoy it.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:46 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

That's a great car. It has a lot of potential. The steering wheel is great but I'd lose the seats and sell them separately. Be patient weather is better, driving season is here, glws!
Old 06-09-2016, 01:56 AM
kcphuah
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 28 Posts

I was very close to buying this car and Tom was straight up and explaining the car to me, GLWS.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:33 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I hope to be at Canepas on Saturday, and I will try to leave my checkbook at home. Damn you Jeremy (Pirahna). Don't be an enabler of bad behavior.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:28 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Do it Steve!
Old 06-13-2016, 02:34 AM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Not sure why I did not receive updates to this earlier.....Thanks for all the positive feed back guys!

Steve I LOVE the plate! I remember when you gave it to me way back when. You're one of the good ones here. Sorry again about Rufus.

TT Surgeon: I hear you about the seats. While I love em they tend to turn off most Porsche buyers. My goal was to wrap em in Leather and Alcantera. Never quite got there as I warmed up to them as is.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:03 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

I decided to clean up the interior a bit. I scored a rear set delete in black. Matches the interior perfectly!

The front seats are going to be recovered in mid July. I will be copying the design Sparco did for the Porsche RS cars. Leather sides and Alcantera centers. I will also cover the door card inserts in Alcantera to match.
Attached Images   

Last edited by MarinS4; 06-30-2016 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:15 AM
green gene
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW
This car just keeps getting better, I love iT

If only its still available nine months from now, GLWS
Old 06-30-2016, 10:49 AM
Brett B
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a beautiful car, clearly a well thought out build. Good luck with your sale, I'm surprised it hasn't sold yet.

I wanted to comment on your statement below:

Originally Posted by MarinS4

By combining high compression/low boost with longer duration cams you get a broader power band. The ultra flat torque curve you see on the dyno sheet is the result of a well planned combination.

I also have a high compression/low boost 993 turbo conversion that I built about 10 years ago and this has been exactly my experience as well. The driving experience is more like a large naturally aspirated engine and makes for a very responsive and fun drive. My dyno curve looks very similar to yours and the linear power band is a perfect match for DE days on the track.

Another benefit of the lower boost levels is that it also keep charge air temps much cooler, minimizing heat soak, keeping these air cooled engines much happier.

Again, very nice car, and good luck with the sale. I suspect the new owner will be thrilled.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:39 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brett B
What a beautiful car, clearly a well thought out build. Good luck with your sale, I'm surprised it hasn't sold yet.

I wanted to comment on your statement below:

I also have a high compression/low boost 993 turbo conversion that I built about 10 years ago and this has been exactly my experience as well. The driving experience is more like a large naturally aspirated engine and makes for a very responsive and fun drive. My dyno curve looks very similar to yours and the linear power band is a perfect match for DE days on the track.

Another benefit of the lower boost levels is that it also keep charge air temps much cooler, minimizing heat soak, keeping these air cooled engines much happier.

Again, very nice car, and good luck with the sale. I suspect the new owner will be thrilled.
Thanks Brett! It's a brilliant combination! Clearly misunderstood by the masses.

After that dyno was done I added an Electronic Boost Controller. That stopped the 8 to 6 psi boost taper and really flattened the torque curve even more. The part throttle boost response got even better in the process.

Quick Reply: 1996 Porsche 993 Turbo Conversion