Notices
Vehicle Marketplace - Old A place for Rennlist Members & Sponsors to sell their new & used vehicles.
Mark this thread as Unsold
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Cont. Porsche Models:

Mileage (numbers only please):

Color:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Transmission Type:

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

FS PORSCHE 930 TURBO SLANT NOSE

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014 | 09:29 AM
Melb-Mike
Instructor

Default FS PORSCHE 930 TURBO SLANT NOSE

Year: 1987
Make: Porsche
Model: 930
Mileage (numbers only please): 2581
Options (Please check ALL which apply): Air Conditioning, Power Brakes, Power Windows
Color: BLACK
VIN: WPOEB0934HS070159
Price (no $ sign please): $75000
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (Region): SouthEast
Body Style: Coupe
Transmission Type: Manual - 6 speed
2 or 4 Wheel Drive?: 2 Wheel Drive
Engine Type: Fuel Injection
Stereo System: AM-FM Stereo

Factory steel 930 turbo slant nose deigned by the legendary Formula 1 designer Neil Harvey @ Performance Development

Porsche IMSA 962 twin plug race engine with K33 ceramic bearing turbo just rebuilt to like new specs by Robert Pye of Turbo Built. The engine features a 20 quart dry sump oil tank with triple race oil pump, 962 based fuel injection with 5 selectable pre-programmed ECM maps, large full width intercooler with twin fans, two large front mounted oil coolers with fans and billet aluminum engine mounts.

Suspension is Porsche race derived control arms with bump steer correcting geometry, coilovers and Brembo race calipers and rotors. I did install Carbotech street pads to keep the squeeling down to a minimum. Pirelli P-zero Rosso new tires all around mounted on Fikse wheels make sure the rubber to the ground is as good as it can get.

Recaro race type buckets with 6 point harnesses, 4 point mount roll cage and other race quality features of this car prepares this car for the life on any race track. However, I can state that this car has never been on a racetrack or has ever seen race duty. When I got the car the suspension had never been set and the coilovers were still in their original positions. I set the suspension ride height, set the corner weights, and aligned the car to the best known suspension settings, and I have never raced this car.

Paint is concourse quality as is every other aspect of the car. The only weakness may be the carpet which is good but not great. Truly a rare and beautiiful car with the best of everything. The car features 4 fan powered a/c condensors to keep the Kuehl compressor working at the coolest possible settings with air blowing at 43 degrees. The car was built for an attorney in Las Vegas and apparently he didn't want to be hot.

The original design of the power train was featured in the Road and Track August 1996 0-100-0 shootout whereby this setup beat all challengers by a wide margin, even the Porsche factory supplied 911 turbo and tuner cars.
Attached Images      
Old 12-08-2014 | 04:54 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Interested how long have you owned it?
Old 12-08-2014 | 06:27 PM
Melb-Mike
Instructor

I bought the car from an estate in October 2013. At the time, the only information that came with the car was a placard that accompanied the car at a previous auction. I met the man who owned it and subsequently passed away about nine months prior to his demise. Ironically, he showed me his car collection of about 70 cars, one of which was this Porsche. Since I race in SCCA and other events, I offered to take him and his beloved Porsche to the track to run it in a safe manner. He told me he didn't need to do that, that he used his long concrete driveway to race up and down. Yes, 1/4 mile long 14 foot wide concrete driveway lined with giant live oak trees. So I told him he was going to kill himself doing that. Well a few months later he did just that in a modified Corvette.

Original poster that came with the car claimed the engine was built by Ed Pink Race Engines. I called them to inquire and was told they have built Porsche 962 based engines but didn't recall that one but they did tell me how to identify their builds by the numbers they would stamp on the side of the block. No such stampings were found. After some searching on the internet, I came onto an article in Excellence magazine written in the late Spring of 1996 whereby they described a very exotic 1989 Porsche built by a very special designer, Neil Harvey. The description of the build matched my car exactly so I searched out for Neil Harvey and found his company, Peformance Development in Costa Mesa, Ca. I sent him an email and asked if he knew about my car. No response for almost two weeks. Then I get an email with a picture of an engine, caption saying "if this is your engine, call me" and a phone number. So I called him, and after a 45 minute conversation, I had found the creator of the engine and car. Graciously, he sent me quite a few pictures he had taken of the build and the design. Incredible design.

Since then, I have gone over the entire car and documented all of its functions in a "manual" which explains what does what and where it is. This is a very complicated but yet very logical build, and it is the finest one could every do. It is truly a work of art. The car really should be tracked but it is very civil on the streets and very comfortable. I have too many cars (11) and too many activities with my racing to be able to devote the time this car really deserves. It needs an owner who is willing to drive it in a manner it was intended to be driven........well maybe a tad bit less than that. Neil told me the horspower was upwards of 800 crank horsepower and he did use Ed Pink's dyno to test and tune this and other engines. I have all the documentation that I could dig up. The only thing I'm missing is the history between the time the lawyer in Las Vegas had and the gentleman in Monterey that subsequently ended up with the car prior to hits sale to a man in Ohio, then a sale to Robert Martin of Umatilla, Florida.
Old 12-08-2014 | 08:23 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

So nice. GL
Old 12-08-2014 | 08:28 PM
Melb-Mike
Instructor

Here are some more pictures.
Attached Images      
Old 12-08-2014 | 08:47 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

What a beautiful beast!
So 2581 total miles? How many of those were driven by you? How does the car drive/feel?
Old 12-08-2014 | 10:07 PM
Melb-Mike
Instructor

Originally Posted by hf1
What a beautiful beast!
So 2581 total miles? How many of those were driven by you? How does the car drive/feel?
I can't be sure of the mikes but from all indications of wear & tear on the car, including the under carriage, I would think this is legitimate. I have driven the car about 125 miles in the time I've had it. I have spent more time getting the car right than had time to drive it. First of all, the a/c had leaks and didn't work. I replaced 4 of the hoses, purged the system, fixed several control relays and now it blows 43 degree air. The turbo was leaking oil everywhere so I got it rebuilt from the expert of all race Porsche turbos. The fuel cell had a minor leak so I replaced the tank. The spark plugs were the original plugs (12 of them) so I replaced them which took about 8 hours total. The suspension was never set and neither was the alignment, ride height, etc. lots of work went into making this car correct and functional.
Old 12-09-2014 | 10:30 AM
Jed
Rennlist Member

Mike , I am retired and live in Knoxville. Do you have any other excellent condition low mileage, Porsches air cooled ,or water cooled 911's you wish to sell. You can contact me at Jed Norden 785 -224-4246 Thank you!
Old 12-10-2014 | 08:57 PM
Melb-Mike
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jed
Mike , I am retired and live in Knoxville. Do you have any other excellent condition low mileage, Porsches air cooled ,or water cooled 911's you wish to sell. You can contact me at Jed Norden 785 -224-4246 Thank you!
Hello Jed,

No, this is the only Porsche I have to sell. I'm keeping the 996TT for the time being. There seems to be plenty of other Porsches selling on this forum and other places like Hemmings. No shortage of these cars for sale. Good luck.

Mike
Old 02-05-2015 | 08:01 AM
Arrow
1st Gear

Is the car still for sale?

Quick Reply: FS PORSCHE 930 TURBO SLANT NOSE