Notices
Vehicle Marketplace - Old A place for Rennlist Members & Sponsors to sell their new & used vehicles.
Mark this thread as Unsold
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Cont. Porsche Models:

Mileage (numbers only please):

Color:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Transmission Type:

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

[MI] 1990 C4 Coupe, 5sp, Sunroof, 150kMI, $45k/neg

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 12:50 AM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default [MI] 1990 C4 Coupe, 5sp, Sunroof, 150kMI, $45k/neg

Year: 1990
Make: Porsche
Model: 911
Cont. Porsche Models: 964 C4
Mileage (numbers only please): 150000
Options (Please check ALL which apply): Airbags, Antilock Brakes, Cruise Control, Foglamps, Intermittent Wipers, Leather Seats, Power Brakes, Power Door Locks, Power Steering, Power Windows, Sunroof
Color: Black
VIN: WP0AB2966LS451816
Price (no $ sign please): $45000
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (Region): Midwestern
Body Style: Coupe
Transmission Type: Manual - 5 speed
2 or 4 Wheel Drive?: 4 Wheel Drive
Engine Type: Fuel Injection
Stereo System: None

The C4 is brilliant in traffic, city or highway, moving and accelerating with a calm, businesslike competence that’s unlike anything else I’ve ever driven.

It is fun to drive: torquey, mean sounding, strong, and very sure footed. Accelerating to redline in third is thrilling. Every. Single. Time. I bought it in 2011 w/ 111k on it.

People *love* this car. I’m regularly asked about it, how old, is it for sale, is it fast… you feel like a rockstar driving around in it and people are always looking.

Challenges:

1. The body is showing its age and a lifetime of use and love:

a. Bumpers have cracked paint from impact

b. Rust is starting at the bottom edge of the windscreen. 3 small spots, see photos.

c. Spoiler surround shows typical cracking.

d. Areas of thin paint on

e. There are a couple big chips concealed with plasti-dip.

2. Engine

a. Oil leaks

i. Leakage from underside of engine.

ii. There seems to be an intermittent oil release on top of or above the engine which may be related to the factory original oil fill cap gasket hardening.

iii. The 'triangle' seals on top of the motor were replaced; I don’t think they're leaking.

iv. The intake manifold will drip oil if the oil tank is too full (common w/964)

v. The overall loss rate is low- <1 quart/3000 miles when it was last being driven regularly (see the oil analysis image- make up oil was 4 quarts over a 15,000 mile interval).

b. There is one broken head stud; I discovered this on my first oil change/valve adjustment and have simply lived with it.

c. Hot-soak misfire

i. Rare, intermittent at high load/ high rpm after the car has been running and then sat idling/off for several minutes.

ii. The plug wires are oiled

iii. The car is fitted with known-suspect silver coils

3. Brakes

a. On hot days or if the car has been sitting in the sun the high-pressure hydraulic pump sometimes will not turn off.

b. Pressure switch replaced in 2016; the problem went away for a while but returned.

c. No issue when cool

d. Pump and accumulator test ok; on 6/6/18 I ran a couple tests back to back:

i. 58-61 brake depressions to deplete accumulator (car off, count pedal applications until the pedal goes hard)

ii. It takes the pump 73s to full-pressure cutoff from 'empty' (Turn car to ‘On’ and time how long the pump runs after a ‘depressions-to-empty’ count).

4. Oil cooler seeping; does not seem to be from the connections. Recently serviced/tested good

5. AC disconnected, compressor removed but included (w/ hardware). Condenser fan inop.

6. No front speakers. They were shot when I got the car and I never replaced them.

7. No spare tire compressor

8. Tires will need replacement soon

Good:

1. Presents well

a. Glossy paint

b. Interior leather not dry, faded, or cracked

c. Carpet still fluffy

d. Dash/doorcards/IP good shape.

2. Engine strong.

a. Great oil pressure under all operating conditions

b. Great oil analyses (see pics) and consumption is very low; 1 qt/3000 miles with enough leakage that I park on cardboard.

c. Starts great, even after sitting.

3. Trans shifts smoothly .

4. Good upgrades

a. Recent brakes; Performance Friction pads, coated rotors, caliper rebuild/powdercoat, OE lines.

b. KW v3 coilovers

c. Recent AGM battery (kept on tender when not being driven)

d. Oil cooler lines rebuilt by Pelican forum guy.

e. Oil cooler service + new OEM oil cooler fan, resistor, switch.

g. Proper M1 SHC gearbox and front diff lube

h. Steering rack replaced w/ Pelican ZF reman unit. Reservoir replaced, M1 ATF

i. All 4 axles rebuilt by CV of Ocala (Florida)

j. front diff seals

k. Walrod front suspension bushes

l. Front bearings replaced

m. Newer tie rods

n. G-pipe

o. Fuel injectors cleaned/flow-tested

p. fan/housing PC'd ~2011

q. WEVO engine mounts w/ fresh black cushions

r. C2 5 spokes in black plasti-dip.

s. LED interior/lic plate lighting.

t. H4 headlamps installed

5. Spares (see pics)

a. Take offs

b. misc hardware

c. oil filters

d. Streather manual

e. 9m actuator seal set

f. Valve tool

6. Available accessories (see pics)

a. Hammer

b. sway bar set

c. snow tires

d. cup pipe

e. complete decklid (damaged corner)

7. Well cared for, just used.

a. Always good oil

b. Always gentle warm up

c. Regularly driven responsibly hard

d. Kept clean

8. All receipts/records since 2011 (entirely self-serviced) and some from before that.

Why am I selling? It wasn’t an easy choice- I’ve been kicking the idea around for the better part of two years. Here are the major reasons:

1. I’m frugal by nature and have a kid approaching college; it’s difficult to justify the expenses associated with getting this car where I would like it to be.

2. It’s not a great car for my environment; I live in Detroit and the roads are straight and poorly paved.

3. It’s appreciated enough that I’m hesitant to use it and I can’t justify owning a garage queen.

Who should buy it? Someone looking for a project car. The list of needs makes this Porsche a blank canvas to build what you want. One could address the major issues and drive it as a tough survivor/streetfighter, send it to Singer for lift/tuck/heart transplant, or anything in between.

Naturally, I’m willing to show the car and/or assist with a pre-purchase inspection in the Detroit area. There are several known-good shops around here; I’d prefer not to drive to Ann Arbor. I’m also willing to split the cost with a/several buyer(s) with the caveat that I’ll add the results to rest of the public for-sale information.

I’m also willing to assist with shipping the car if needed; buyer’s expense.

Higher-res versions of almost all the photographs are available as are other pictures not shown here. The full set of low-res pics is here: Index of /Misc/964 . I also have a couple videos, one of the brake pump running, shutting off, and then a cold start, and one of warm idle/stationary revs. I'd be happy to (re)take any additional photos of interest.

Price: $45,000/best. There aren’t a lot of 964s for sale and it’s tough to figure value. While I don't really expect anyone to offer me $45k for a car in this condition that rare impatient buyer is more than welcome to do so. At the same time, I have no need or impatience to sell and a minimum value in mind. If you’re interested, get in touch via email [porter_t_dog at hot mail dot com] and we can discuss it; I’m neither unreasonable nor ill-informed and would love to have this C4 go to someone that’s able to update and enjoy it.

Last edited by FeralComprehension; 06-30-2018 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Moar text! Moar deets!
Old 06-30-2018, 09:34 AM
993pbug
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Great, straight forward, and thorough write-up from an owner that has obviously cared for his car. GLWS!
Old 07-02-2018, 04:24 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

DEAL PENDING
Old 07-05-2018, 03:09 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

SOLD at $38k

Quick Reply: [MI] 1990 C4 Coupe, 5sp, Sunroof, 150kMI, $45k/neg