Notices
Vehicle Marketplace - Old A place for Rennlist Members & Sponsors to sell their new & used vehicles.
Mark this thread as Unsold
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Cont. Porsche Models:

Mileage (numbers only please):

Color:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Transmission Type:

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

1962 Porsche 356B Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 09:22 PM
Bluegooseracing
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1962 Porsche 356B Coupe

Year: 1962
Make: Porsche
Model: 0
Cont. Porsche Models: 356
Mileage (numbers only please): 212483
Color: Silver
VIN: 210579
Price (no $ sign please): $59000
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (Region): NorthWest
Body Style: Coupe
Transmission Type: Manual - 4 speed
2 or 4 Wheel Drive?: 2 Wheel Drive
Engine Type: Carbs
Stereo System: None

356B T6/1600 Reutter Coupe - Price drop!

Father/son owned since 1967. Excellent driver. Most records going back 50+ years. Approximately 16,000 miles since "refresh" 25 years ago (engine rebuild by Jeff Gamroth to “Super” spec, paint, body, interior). COA, all extra parts included (original bumpers, side mirror, radio, drivers "normal" seat which is finished in the same red leather, extra wheels).

Not numbers matching…when my Dad had the first transmission rebuilt in the ‘70’s (when no one cared about matching numbers) he did the Stoddard “swap” where you sent them your transmission and they sent you another correct, but not numbers matching, rebuilt transmission. Everything else, engine, panels, etc. is numbers matching.

Has the car been raced? My Dad grew up in the bay area and as a teen spent many weekends out at Laguna Seca watching and crewing in races during the 50’s. He always dreamed that someday he’d race a Porsche. During my youth, he did an occasional DE day out at PIR (Portland) and when he’d finally put the last of his 4 kids through college he pulled the trigger, restored the old bathtub roughly as he remembered the cars back in the day and did exactly 3 SCCA historic races. He enjoyed it, but with that bucket list item checked off (and the car now too nice to “daily” it soon started collecting dust in his garage.
About 6 years ago he sold the car to me. She looked great, but there were a few issues that needed to be sorted:
  1. Transmissions did not sound right. A rebuild by German Transaxle in Bend, OR resolved the issue (a bad bearing).
  2. The steering just didn’t feel as tight as I’d remember all those years ago – a steering box rebuild took care of that issue (German Master Tech, Bend, OR)
  3. A few other miscellaneous things:
  • Replaced brake cables
  • Replaced heater box flapper cables
  • Swapped out the brake lights (candles) with LEDs. They don’t look like LED lights, just much brighter and the originals just pop right back in if one wanted period correct “dim” brake lights.
  • New tires – Vredstein Sprint Classic 185/70 HR15. Note: The car comes with 3 sets of wheels including the original 4 ½” wide wheels (these were spray painted at some point, but appear to be in good shape).
What does it need? Not much unless you want to do concours, but if that’s the case, this probably isn’t your car anyway: The windshield wiper motor needs to be rebuilt...low on my priority list since the car hasn't seen rain in about 20 years and in Central Oregon it’s pretty easy to avoid the rain. The fuel sensor in the gas tank does not work (the fuel gauge works perfectly and was just rebuilt). I just go off the trip odometer. The windows are somewhat difficult to roll up and down. Some mechanics have told me there are two types of felt one can purchase to replace the original (one from Stoddard and one from Sierra Madre) and that one of these is a little tight. Their guess is that during the “refresh” the thicker felt was chosen. Not sure and I just haven’t had time to pursue. The roll bar is a bolt in and can be removed fairly easily by just removing the seats. The back “bucket” seats were not recovered during the “refresh,” but appear correct when folded down (see pics). There are some minor rock chips up front, a tiny scratch/ding in the panel above the rear left wheel and a small crack in the paint where the rear bumper would connect (see pics).

Why am I selling? Because I’m a horrible son and am not willing to carry on the family legacy…so say some of my “friends”. The reality is that I own a small tech services company, work 70 hours a week and my wife and two kids have zero interest in this car or any other. When we do have free time, we’re usually taking advantage of Central Oregon’s outdoor activities and therefor the car just sits and takes up garage space. My dad always said, “If the day comes you’re not driving and enjoying the car, sell it so someone else can!” Sadly, that day has come.
Attached Images                           
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
356 COA.pdf (741.8 KB, 153 views)

Last edited by Bluegooseracing; 10-15-2017 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:16 PM
ajskydiver
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Beautiful car, glws.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:33 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 102 Posts

Wow that is nice.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:11 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Gorgeous car. GLWS!
Old 08-14-2017, 11:32 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,840 Likes on 1,121 Posts

What a great ad and story. This car looks fantastic. If I ever get a356 this is the one. Just like this. Looks great. Great to drive.
Old 09-10-2017, 03:25 PM
Bluegooseracing
4th Gear

Default Price drop

Thank you all for the nice comments! Car still for sale, price dropped.
Old 09-10-2017, 04:12 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 651 Likes on 405 Posts

This is a really beautiful car--I'm a sucker for silver with red interiors--and an even more beautiful story.

If I was in the market for such a car, or even knew more about what I was looking at, I would consider it very seriously.

GLWS!
Old 10-02-2017, 01:35 PM
BunkYolo
1st Gear

Is the car still for sale?
Really nice job on the ad. I wish you could buy extra "time" in your life to keep the family ownership going and get some more enjoyment from this beauty.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:31 PM
Bluegooseracing
4th Gear

Thank you. Car still for sale, but in negotiations...
Old 10-02-2017, 04:28 PM
Oregonian
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bluegooseracing
Thank you. Car still for sale, but in negotiations...
From another Bendite (former '63 356B Super 90 Coupe owner) I hope the car stays local, I would love to see it around in the summer! GLWS
Old 10-03-2017, 12:01 PM
Bluegooseracing
4th Gear

Who knows, if this doesn't go through you might see it around this fall! Beautiful driving weather right now.

Quick Reply: 1962 Porsche 356B Coupe