Notices

Weight distribution hitches

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 09:34 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts
Question Weight distribution hitches

Been reading up on them but still confused. Seems like they take TGW and TW into account. But TW is to be between 10% - 15% (650lbs - 975lbs in my case with a TGW of 10k lbs). The ratings I see are usually X lbs +/- 100 lbs and TGW. Since getting one with a higher TW rating than needed is supposed to affect ride quality how do you spec one in real life, have it somewhat future proof for all that accumulated stuff you will add/carry later? Does future proof mean you have to reduce TW?

TIA
Old 06-04-2017, 05:23 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Every WDH I've used has adjustable tension to account for varying tongue weight. I recommend buying as much as you think you'll ever need because you can adjust downwards.
Old 06-04-2017, 05:47 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

I like my Equalizer.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:31 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Drew_K
Every WDH I've used has adjustable tension to account for varying tongue weight. I recommend buying as much as you think you'll ever need because you can adjust downwards.
Interesting. I've downloaded manuals and none of them show that flexibility. Which ones were those?

Originally Posted by linzman
I like my Equalizer.
Great. Unfortunately that doesn't answer my question. Can you be more specific?

One comment I received mentions to install helper air bags on top of my rear suspension for leveling and just add sway controls to attach to the tongue.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:50 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,280 Likes on 1,586 Posts

I have an Equalizer and I believe it is the best one on the market.

When I went to buy it I got someone on the phone and they told me which one to buy. You need the right one - its not like you can buy one rated for 20,000lbs when you really need one for less or more.

Give them a call or shoot them an email and they can help answer your questions.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:19 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ExMB
Interesting. I've downloaded manuals and none of them show that flexibility. Which ones were those?
Depends on the design. Some use chains to set the tension, like a Reese WDH I have. The shorter the chain length, the more tension you're putting on the hitch, which in turn moves more weight towards the front of your tow vehicle. It's an iterative procedure to figure out the correct chain link, and it's explained in the manual.

With the Equalizer, you install more or less washers to set the angle of the hitch, which in turn sets the tension on the hitch. The Equalizer is easy to install because it doesn't require drilling into the trailer tongue, but I don't think it does much for sway control compared to other designs out there (debate for another time). My Reese required drilling big holes in the trailer tongue, so the installation took a lot longer.

Also as mentioned above, you don't want to overbuy on capacity. My point was you estimate 975 lbs of tongue weight now. If you think that some day you might load your trailer up to the point of having 1200 lbs of tongue weight, you should buy a WDH that will also be able to carry that tongue weight.

When you figure out your trailer weights (current and potential future), call the manufacturer. I've called Reese a few times and they've been EXTREMELY helpful. Same for Equalizer.

With my Reese, one of the brackets bent a little after using it for a few years and they sent me a replacement free of charge, no questions asked. Great service.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:22 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ExMB
One comment I received mentions to install helper air bags on top of my rear suspension for leveling and just add sway controls to attach to the tongue.
With 975 lbs of tongue weight, I predict the rear of your F150 is going to sag a lot, so air bags are probably a good idea. But I'd try the WDH first and see how things look.

For comparison, I have a 2013 F250 diesel, and the rear sagged quite a bit with the 800 lbs of tongue weight from my enclosed trailer. I installed air bags with a wireless remote so that I can air the bags up/down on demand.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:14 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Depends on the design. Some use chains to set the tension, like a Reese WDH I have. The shorter the chain length, the more tension you're putting on the hitch, which in turn moves more weight towards the front of your tow vehicle. It's an iterative procedure to figure out the correct chain link, and it's explained in the manual.

With the Equalizer, you install more or less washers to set the angle of the hitch, which in turn sets the tension on the hitch. The Equalizer is easy to install because it doesn't require drilling into the trailer tongue, but I don't think it does much for sway control compared to other designs out there (debate for another time). My Reese required drilling big holes in the trailer tongue, so the installation took a lot longer.

Also as mentioned above, you don't want to overbuy on capacity. My point was you estimate 975 lbs of tongue weight now. If you think that some day you might load your trailer up to the point of having 1200 lbs of tongue weight, you should buy a WDH that will also be able to carry that tongue weight.

When you figure out your trailer weights (current and potential future), call the manufacturer. I've called Reese a few times and they've been EXTREMELY helpful. Same for Equalizer.

With my Reese, one of the brackets bent a little after using it for a few years and they sent me a replacement free of charge, no questions asked. Great service.
With 975 lbs of tongue weight, I predict the rear of your F150 is going to sag a lot, so air bags are probably a good idea. But I'd try the WDH first and see how things look.

For comparison, I have a 2013 F250 diesel, and the rear sagged quite a bit with the 800 lbs of tongue weight from my enclosed trailer. I installed air bags with a wireless remote so that I can air the bags up/down on demand.
I estimated 650 - 975 lbs which represents 10% - 15% (recommended range posted everywhere). The WDH I'm looking at is the Curt C17500 which is an Equalizer knockoff at quite a bit of savings (~40%). It allows a range of 800 - 1000 lbs tongue weight. Go "much" lower and the ride suffers per google.
Part of the reason I'm looking at this model is that I don't have to drill into the tongue (the manufacturer recommend additional welded plates in that case for $$$ of course), you can back a trailer with it (the other designs say not to) as well as less parts to remove when I put it in storage.

Hope this babble makes sense. Am I looking in the right direction? What am I missing, not understanding?
Old 06-05-2017, 10:32 AM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

There are so many models of WDH's it can get confusing. That Curt you picked out looks fine and I think is the right capacity, assuming you have your tongue weights correct. I recommend measuring your tongue weight to confirm. You can buy a tongue weight scale or use the bathroom scale method (google it - it's a leveraged way to use a home scale).

The only thing I don't like about that Curt model is that, based on the pictures, it looks you can't make very fine adjustments to the tension. I see 3 holes you have to select from and they're rather far apart. With the Equalizer, you use washers and can make finer adjustments. But that's just me looking at pictures. If the reviews say the Curt adjusts fine, I imagine you're okay.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:01 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Thanx. I'm easily confused. Thats why I came on here to get answers from those that went through this exercise previously.

I realize the washer method allows for finer adjustment. This one appears to be a 5 position. Guess more research is in order on this design.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:16 PM
Sboxin
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We use this economical system - and the best thing is the Anti Sway friction bar that truly does reduce sway in windy conditions . . .

Pro Series 49903 Complete Weight Distribution Kit
- can be bought thru Amazon or local dealers -

The tongue weight scale is also very important and worth the price

Used for 6 years with no problems and very good results . . .

Regards,

Edit: you can back up the trailer - we do every time returning to the house . . .

Last edited by Sboxin; 06-05-2017 at 04:18 PM. Reason: added info
Old 06-05-2017, 12:19 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Ah I see now - the Curt allows for 5 adjustments. I bet it'll work just fine, and it has good reviews. Can't beat the price.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:43 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Ah I see now - the Curt allows for 5 adjustments. I bet it'll work just fine, and it has good reviews. Can't beat the price.
What price did you find and where? Maybe its better than the one I found.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:51 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sboxin
We use this economical system - and the best thing is the Anti Sway friction bar that truly does reduce sway in windy conditions . . .

Pro Series 49903 Complete Weight Distribution Kit
- can be bought thru Amazon or local dealers -

The tongue weight scale is also very important and worth the price

Regards,
Thanx

With this one I have to drill into the tongue (the trailer manufacturer recommends additional welded plates in that case for $$$ of course), you can't back a trailer with it and more parts to remove when I put it in storage.

Still haven't found an economical TW scale. Drew K's suggestion with the bathroom scale trick should get me there.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:55 PM
Hoyt
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I've been using this system from Blue Ox for a little while with no issues at all. Its super easy to hook up and unhook when I'm done. Plus they've got a clamp on design option for the trailer tongue.

http://www.blueox.com/trailertowing/swaypro/

My tow rig is a 2015 Ford F-250 (diesel) with a 24ft Haulmark enclosed trailer. I bought it mostly for the anti-sway, but it also help with the truck sagging when I'm fully loaded.

Oh, I purchased it from the people over at etrailer_com

Quick Reply: Weight distribution hitches