Notices

Goodyear Endurance Trailer Tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 12:31 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 172 Posts

Went with 4 215/75R14 on enclosed ‘00 Trailex. 10 hrs on them so far, so good, time will be the judge, but so far so good. Store outdoors w/ covers.

A couple of points, one tire arrived / failed on install, broken belt internal. Tech mention 6 internal seams, way more then “normal”. Tire Rack replaced under warranty, but had to eat #5 shipping/deinstalled/installation charges. Also, these are a snug fit under Trailex fenders. Have some “bottom out” rubbing visible on fenders. Clears when loaded and static, but suspect bottom out when hitting bumps/pot holes/etc. Running In rim Amazon China TPMS too. Start @ 60lbs and will expand to 65-67 and reach 130F at freeway speeds 65-70mph. Towing 4800-5100 lbs total.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:13 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

Not really surprised about the rubbing since I believe that the tirerack published dia specs are incorrect based on math alone; the goodyear site seems to have the correct dia specs.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:06 AM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 76 Posts

Had one blow out on me. Massive rupture on the sidewall. It may have been a freak thing and I can’t rule out a tire pressure issue, since I didn’t check them on that AM (did for the prior trip). May have had 1000 miles on them. A bit ironic since I replaced the full set, preventativeley, this spring.

Old 07-10-2018, 11:47 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Had a blow out with one as well.

Did they quit making the marathon?

I have to double check but think we run the goodyear g14

Also found that speed and heat play a big culprit of unexplained tire blow outs.

When we had the toterhome we blew tires on every trip. Slowed down to 60 mph from 68, and quit blowing tires
Old 07-15-2018, 06:17 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by stujelly
Had a blow out with one as well.

Did they quit making the marathon?

I have to double check but think we run the goodyear g14

Also found that speed and heat play a big culprit of unexplained tire blow outs.

When we had the toterhome we blew tires on every trip. Slowed down to 60 mph from 68, and quit blowing tires
Generally agreed that excessive heat can damage a tire. I trailer at 75-80 and have never had an issue in 10 years.
Old 07-28-2018, 07:56 AM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by MK_TT
^ I would not recommend mixing them with the Marathons. (different tread pattern)

I had a customer that just put a set of the endurance's on his Intech from the OE trailer kings and it was a great improvement.
I would not mixed Goodyear Endurance with China tires because the tire spring is significantly different than China tires. The net result is transferring more load to China tires causing them to fail.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:21 AM
Brian C in Az
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T&T Racing
I would not mixed Goodyear Endurance with China tires because the tire spring is significantly different than China tires. The net result is transferring more load to China tires causing them to fail.
Unless you weigh the trailer and know the corner weights, you have no idea if you are increasing or decreasing the load on the cheap tires. Few people check the corner weights of their trailers. That is why so many have blow outs. The number one cause of a blow out is overloading the tire. How do you know if the tire is properly loaded or overloaded? Check the corner weights of the trailer. You may find that you need more air in the front axle pair than the rear axle pair due to the load weight, or you may find that you need more air in the rear pair. Or you may find that you need to redistribute the weight by moving the car 6" or 12" forward or back. Until you check, you have no way of knowing. I find it interesting that so many seemingly intelligent people refuse to check the obvious. The trailer and hitch manufacturers ALL say to check tongue weight and check load balance, yet how many of you offering advice regarding tires and blow outs have checked the basics?
Old 08-01-2018, 09:27 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 172 Posts
Default TPMS is a must

Originally Posted by Brian C in Az
Unless you weigh the trailer and know the corner weights, you have no idea if you are increasing or decreasing the load on the cheap tires. Few people check the corner weights of their trailers. That is why so many have blow outs. The number one cause of a blow out is overloading the tire. How do you know if the tire is properly loaded or overloaded? Check the corner weights of the trailer. You may find that you need more air in the front axle pair than the rear axle pair due to the load weight, or you may find that you need more air in the rear pair. Or you may find that you need to redistribute the weight by moving the car 6" or 12" forward or back. Until you check, you have no way of knowing. I find it interesting that so many seemingly intelligent people refuse to check the obvious. The trailer and hitch manufacturers ALL say to check tongue weight and check load balance, yet how many of you offering advice regarding tires and blow outs have checked the basics?
Interesting proposition. But moving the car will also effect the tongue weight, which is also a handling problem.
Chasing corner balance would be an ongoing thing as car w/ and w/o fuel, empty full jugs, which tires are on car and in the tire rack, which box goes where and which cabinet holds what could easily shift a few hundred pounds around just between an outbound and return trip.

Given the price is a no brainer, I think everyone needs to add TPMS to their trailer tires. Pays for itself in saving just one blowout. Tire pressure and temperature growth will give you a lot of insight into how the tires are being stressed. I can even tell which side of the trailer is facing the sun by the temp diff when on the road...

YMMV, be safe out there...
Old 08-29-2018, 04:07 PM
FOS373
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

slightly O/T - but the thread started going there - what would you recommend for a reliable TPMS trailer system? Started looking and the reviews of lower to higher priced systems seemed to vary no matter what the design ("traditional" internal vs external).
Old 08-29-2018, 11:57 PM
jwasilko
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

We have 3 axle trailer and a Volvo tractor with 10 tires (total of 16). I monitor them with the TST 507 from https://tsttruck.com/
It gives temp and pressure for all tires, and alerts immediately if there is a pressure drop.
Old 08-30-2018, 12:00 AM
Sboxin
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fosbibr
slightly O/T - but the thread started going there - what would you recommend for a reliable TPMS trailer system? Started looking and the reviews of lower to higher priced systems seemed to vary no matter what the design ("traditional" internal vs external).
We've been using TireTraker and they have an updated monitor T500 - - they have provided excellent phone customer service also.
It is an external system, but we have not had any problems with it - - will be testing again on our 1000 mile trip to COTA.
https://www.tiretraker.com/

And, a little additional info - we use Bridgestone Duravis R500 225/75/16 80 psi truck tires on our 24' enclosed 8K # trailer . . .

Regards,
Old 08-31-2018, 11:13 AM
Brian C in Az
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kein_Ersatz
Interesting proposition. But moving the car will also effect the tongue weight, which is also a handling problem.
Chasing corner balance would be an ongoing thing as car w/ and w/o fuel, empty full jugs, which tires are on car and in the tire rack, which box goes where and which cabinet holds what could easily shift a few hundred pounds around just between an outbound and return trip..
A couple hundred pounds is not going to make a huge difference. Many trailers literally have 1000 pounds or more variance left to right and tongue weights can easily be double or triple what they should be. As any experienced RV'er would know after weighing the trailer, everything has it's place and everything goes in it's place. Changing tires won't affect the balance, empty fuel vs loaded fuel is a small percentage. You mark the one and only spot for the car's tires after you weigh the trailer. With a Porsche, the car should be backed in, the engine always goes in the front of the trailer. Many times I hear guys complain their trailer is unstable, they are loading the car with the engine in the rear of the trailer. The engine ALWAYS goes in front of the trailer axles..
Old 08-31-2018, 08:55 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian C in Az
The engine ALWAYS goes in front of the trailer axles..
I call BS on that one. Its all about balance and capability of the tow vehicle. One doesn't want to overload the tow vehicle and its restrictions.

Old 09-02-2018, 10:07 AM
NbyNW
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Endurance tires on my ‘18 Trailex. Right after getting the trailer we did a road trip. 3700 miles there and back and no problems. Driving across Indiana and Illinois was tough... some pretty bad roads so lots of dodging. Lots of cringing after the boom when hitting a hole. I ran 60 psi and kept it close to 75mph.

I do need to update the spare, for some reason they used the C rated Marathon.

It’s stored outside with tire covers.

And I agree with ExMB, just make sure your load is balanced. I’ve trailered mid-engine cars for over a decade and always pulled them in.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:21 PM
Skibum1963
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Resurrecting old thread. Replacing my tires on an open Featherlite which has 205/75R15 tires on now. The endurance tires are D rated for that width. The next width up is a 225 which is an E rated tire. Does anyone know if I can mount those wider tires on the wheels?

Quick Reply: Goodyear Endurance Trailer Tires