Notices

I need some trailer input please.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 06:36 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by kurtkrum
Also look at an InTech Lite. For the 20' length you might be able to get in your price range. The build quality is awesome and they come with extruded aluminum floors - a nice feature.
Except on their option list it doesn't show the large driver's side escape door which he is looking for. Not sure if they would push you towards their ICON package since their Lite package is supposed to save you $ in their mind.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:06 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by C-gt3
2006 Cayman S fully prepped race car.
i currently haul with a trailex 7541 with all the add ons. tire rack, spare tire, two fuel racks for 4 jugs, hand crank wench and a tool box.
i haul with an F 150.
i will not be upgrading the f 150.

now for the trailer advice. Im going for enclosed.
i will not be racing, not for at least the next 5 years.
Im just a DE and open track events driver.
Why not just keep the open trailex, especially if you won't be racing? Light, short, carries all you need -- the rest goes in the truck/bed. Won't kill your f150's transmission. Fits next to the house. Would probably even fit in the garage with the race car on it for out of season storage.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:25 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB

See red above.
Not per the floor plan that Martin S. recently posted 20' ATC specs see post #62 attachment.

20" ATC
flat front
no cabinet
the forward D rings are 21" from the front wall, I'm sure ATC allows custom placement but you still are limited for room in a 20' because the car has to be placed for tongue wt.. Custom placement allows for more inboard or more outboard location of the D rings, In a longer trailer there will also be more fore and aft flexibility. Rear D ring placement is similarly restricted the shorter the trailer On Martins 20' the Drings are just short of the door on the beaver tail.

Bottom line the car fits in a 20" especially when there are no cabinets but there isn't a whole lot of room for other things.

I'm in the market for an ATC too
I'm thinking
22'
V or wedge nose- more for room for a winch than any other reason, no cabinets
escape door
beaver tail
405 series because it has aluminum floor swivel D-rings and rear spoiler
wireless winch w/ synthetic line
Old 03-20-2017, 08:52 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Not per the floor plan that Martin S. recently posted 20' ATC specs see post #62 attachment.
Custom placement allows for more inboard or more outboard location of the D rings
Bottom line the car fits in a 20" especially when there are no cabinets but there isn't a whole lot of room for other things.
And only he can answer whether or not he requested those placements or not. Custom placement is custom, it isn't limited to in/out but also includes fore/aft. Therefore the assumption made is unresolved.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:10 PM
Moondog4224
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Deleted
Old 03-20-2017, 10:18 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

I have a 20' enclosed 4' V-nose ATC. Perfect trailer for what you are talking about. I have been pulling it with my Cayenne and Tourag before that. I am moving up to a 22' with 4' V-nose but that was personal choice and desire to get cabinets and a little fancier trailer. I have used my ATC for >10 years and it still looks nearly new!
Old 03-20-2017, 11:35 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

if one of you want a 22', I'm going to build a 40' stacker so mine will be available soon....its a full custom 22 ATC.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:40 PM
C-gt3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

guy thanks for all the replies.
i have an agreement to buy the enclosed trailex from hsuku.
it will work for me for the time being.
it's a temporary solution for my needs. ill be able to haul like normal and use my truck for whatever space i need.
nxfedlt1, if my deal falls through, shoot me your info on your 22. i would like to see it.
i have a buddy who just bought a cup car, he might want to look at it.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:17 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

guy thanks for all the replies.
i have an agreement to buy the enclosed trailex from hsuku.
it will work for me for the time being.
it's a temporary solution for my needs. ill be able to haul like normal and use my truck for whatever space i need.
nxfedlt1, if my deal falls through, shoot me your info on your 22. i would like to see it.
i have a buddy who just bought a cup car, he might want to look at it.
We have towed a hell of a lot of miles with a small trailex enclosed and if you are just looking for something to get your stuff out of the elements, etc, they work great, especially for smaller tow vehicles. The f150 won't care it is back there other than a little hurt on fuel mileage. Plus, they are just tall enough to be able to put your fold out chair in and sit in it out of the sun/rain/etc at the track. And they are like gold, so resale is super easy down the road.

The only thing we noticed is that if you really pile the gear in them, it wears the inside of the tires badly, while the outside will look perfect, so keep an eye on those. We change the tires on that trailer about every year to year and a half.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:33 PM
C-gt3
Racer

good to know about the tires on the trailex.
im assuming car, plus one set of tires and maybe 300lbs of gear 4 jugs, two jacks and stands etc. is about all ill be hauling.
i would think under 4000lbs total ..
i think in florida and trailers its every three years or sooner or else.
why cant i multi quote?
Old 03-22-2017, 02:36 PM
C-gt3
Racer

sometime in july i will be listing my 7541 2012 model with almost everything on it.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:09 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
We have towed a hell of a lot of miles with a small trailex enclosed and if you are just looking for something to get your stuff out of the elements, etc, they work great, especially for smaller tow vehicles. The f150 won't care it is back there other than a little hurt on fuel mileage. Plus, they are just tall enough to be able to put your fold out chair in and sit in it out of the sun/rain/etc at the track. And they are like gold, so resale is super easy down the road.

The only thing we noticed is that if you really pile the gear in them, it wears the inside of the tires badly, while the outside will look perfect, so keep an eye on those. We change the tires on that trailer about every year to year and a half.
As far as I have seen on my 8045 and enclosed, the axle sizes (3.5K) and tires (205/R14) on the Enclosed and open trailers are the same. So the tire wear is a function of the smaller tires and how the axle flexes with the additional load. You're adding about 1000lbs of trailer bits over your current open trailer, and then whatever extra stuff you feel more inclined to add in now that the stuff is shielded from the elements or does not need to migrate from your garage to the trailer for every trip. I've hypothesise that any trailer with 3.5K axles is likely to behave in a similar way w/r to inside tire wear for the same load.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:33 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I've hypothesise that any trailer with 3.5K axles is likely to behave in a similar way w/r to inside tire wear for the same load.
I think trailex is one of the few manufacturer's left that still uses leaf spring axles with 14" tires. Most of the others worthwhile mentioning have migrated to torsion and 15". IMHO torsion is better than leaf springs, newer tech versus older. 15" also is preferred by me over 14" in case you ever need to find a replacement tire while on the road.

why cant i multi quote?
Because your instructor (RH in avatar pic) only knows hand signals.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:49 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
As far as I have seen on my 8045 and enclosed, the axle sizes (3.5K) and tires (205/R14) on the Enclosed and open trailers are the same. So the tire wear is a function of the smaller tires and how the axle flexes with the additional load. You're adding about 1000lbs of trailer bits over your current open trailer, and then whatever extra stuff you feel more inclined to add in now that the stuff is shielded from the elements or does not need to migrate from your garage to the trailer for every trip. I've hypothesise that any trailer with 3.5K axles is likely to behave in a similar way w/r to inside tire wear for the same load.
Correct, we load the heck out of it. An open trailex is 850lbs roughly from memory, and the enclosed are only 1300, so not a lot of weight difference, but once you go enclosed, you feel like you can toss everything but the kitchen sink in the trailer and close the door, and then you end up with the axle flex.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:15 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
.... and the enclosed are only 1300, ....
From Trailex:
CTE-84180
Weight: 2000
Carrying Capacity: 4100

Quick Reply: I need some trailer input please.