Notices

Newbie towing advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 08:32 AM
RickyBobby
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been towing an open Trailex w an MB R class diesel: it did GREAT until things started conking out. And the Germans aren't cheap to maintain/repair.
Considering Japanese opts including the Taco or LandCrusier versus Nissan Titan or Frontier.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:29 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyBobby
I've been towing an open Trailex w an MB R class diesel: it did GREAT until things started conking out. And the Germans aren't cheap to maintain/repair.
Considering Japanese opts including the Taco or LandCrusier versus Nissan Titan or Frontier.
When I got my Taco I looked at the Frontier as well. One important point that swayed it for me was the available back up camera on the Taco which wasn't available on the Frontier.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:10 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

In the vane of this thread, I am looking at a older (2004) F-150 with the 4.6 and tow package for towing my Boxster and a uhaul trailer.

From what I can tell, trailer and car will be around 5200# and the truck I am looking at has a 6300# tow rating.

Its a great deal on the truck, will cost me just $1100. It does of course have 248k on the clock
Other than the mileage, its in great shape
Old 02-12-2017, 10:41 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

Food for thought. Most open car trailers are rated for 7000# loaded. Even though you only have 5000# loaded and a 6000# capacity some inspection places along the highway may not like that. They don't care that you have only 5000# on your trailer. To them it is 7000# because that is what the name plate says. May or may not be an issue.
My maiden voyage in my brand new featherlight had me loosing a wheel just before destination, (loose lug nuts with ruined wheel) I pumped up the remaining wheel to max and went the short distance to the event. I did the math and the numbers did not work out for the load on the single tire for the way home. Kinda hard to hide the axle sticking out without a wheel on it. If I got pulled over bad things were going to happen.
Then I remembered tongue weight and threw that into the equation and the math worked! I loaded my car as off center towards the 2 good tires and easily made the trip home. Torsion axles also helped.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:47 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
Food for thought. Most open car trailers are rated for 7000# loaded. Even though you only have 5000# loaded and a 6000# capacity some inspection places along the highway may not like that.
That has to be a MASS thingie. No where in my neck of the woods (7 different states) does a loaded private open car trailer have to go through inspection while traveling.
What other weird stuff happens there?
Old 02-12-2017, 12:08 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
That has to be a MASS thingie. No where in my neck of the woods (7 different states) does a loaded private open car trailer have to go through inspection while traveling.
What other weird stuff happens there?
I've been through 27 states in the past year towing and have never stopped at a weigh station.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:40 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

I'm not saying it is an issue but they will go by the name plate spec if they want to be a ***** about it. Like after stopping you for excessive speed, etc.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:39 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

... some inspection places along the highway may not like that.
I'm not saying it is an issue but they will go by the name plate spec if they want to be a ***** about it. Like after stopping you for excessive speed, etc.

First you are talking about inspection places (most likely semi weight stations) and now you are talking about cops inspecting you after pulling you over for speeding.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:33 PM
Sboxin
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JayG
In the vane of this thread, I am looking at a older (2004) F-150 with the 4.6 and tow package for towing my Boxster and a uhaul trailer.

From what I can tell, trailer and car will be around 5200# and the truck I am looking at has a 6300# tow rating.

Its a great deal on the truck, will cost me just $1100. It does of course have 248k on the clock
Other than the mileage, its in great shape
JayG ,

I have a 2000 Ford Expedition with that 4.6L engine - - IMHO it doesn't have
enough power to climb a hill - - I towed my son's 911 on a steel trailer
around town and could feel the low power . . . If it were me I would look for
an old Dodge Hemi 2500 truck . . . if you were looking at low cost . . .

We now have a GMC 2500 Diesel towing a 24' enclosed @ 8K lbs.

Regards,
Old 02-12-2017, 08:45 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ExMB

First you are talking about inspection places (most likely semi weight stations) and now you are talking about cops inspecting you after pulling you over for speeding.
Both my truck and trailer have commercial plates so I think a bit differently. If the **** hits the fan for any reason your 6000 rated tow vehicle is overloaded pulling a 7000 rated trailer.
And I was once pulled over in a completely empty 350 box truck for being over the limit on a local bridge. He was in my face about the tag rating. Then why did you ignore the F350 superduty in front of me? And there goes 2 more.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:08 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Both my truck and trailer have commercial plates so I think a bit differently. If the **** hits the fan for any reason your 6000 rated tow vehicle is overloaded pulling a 7000 rated trailer.
And I was once pulled over in a completely empty 350 box truck for being over the limit on a local bridge. He was in my face about the tag rating. Then why did you ignore the F350 superduty in front of me? And there goes 2 more.
In that case the best way to phrase your comment would've been 'not' assuming that the same will happen to those that 'don't' run with commercial plates, i.e. use regular plates. Not everybody has the ability to use a business asset for personal gain.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:36 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 337 Posts
Default Great Idea

Originally Posted by pmason
Now I have the big diesel but a totally different approach that a friend of mine does is when ever he needs to pull his trailer he rents a truck from national or enterprise can't remember which, he normally get a 3/4 or 1ton truck.
You can rent a lot of truck; I may try this next time.....beck to the point, towing a Trailex 900 Lb trailer and a 3,000 Lb. car, should be a breeze with a Tacoma....and it is small enough to be a everyday transportation if needed. Towing a Featherlite 1,200 Lb. trailer should be a breeze too.

I tow with a 2006 4.7 Tundra, tow about 6,100 lbs, under the truck's maximum...great experience. You can get a used 4.7 Tundra for $9,000 to $14,000 depending on condition and mileage. If you go 4X4, your mileage will suffer as will your towing capacity...that front axel & diff are heavy.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:56 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sboxin
JayG ,

I have a 2000 Ford Expedition with that 4.6L engine - - IMHO it doesn't have
enough power to climb a hill - - I towed my son's 911 on a steel trailer
around town and could feel the low power . . . If it were me I would look for
an old Dodge Hemi 2500 truck . . . if you were looking at low cost . . .

We now have a GMC 2500 Diesel towing a 24' enclosed @ 8K lbs.

Regards,
I guess that is all relative to the person driving

I got back yesterday from my first track weekend towing and my cheapo F-150 ran great. I was using a friends steel trailer that weight just under 1900#, my car is around 3100, so approx 5k on the trailer.
Had 3 sets of wheels in the bed plus the rest of our stuff and my son with me. I am pretty sure I was at max GCWV (probably over a few 100# ).

While I was expecting to crawl up the hills at hopefully 40, I was pleasantly surprised that I could easily do 65+ with no problem. Yes, starting at the bottom of a hill from a dead stop was a bit slow getting to speed, but it pulled fine.

I was going to Chuckwalla from San Diego and there a a few good hills on I15 and RT 60. I filled up in Palm Desert and was surprised that I got 15 MPG!!
The last leg was Palm Desert to the track and on I-10 its a long grade (10 miles+)to the higher desert. Again no problem pulling and speeds 65+.

Not bad for a 13 yo truck with 250k on the clock I bought for $1100. I did add helper springs as I was concerned with the old springs and heavy load. The ride quality was great both pulling the load and empty.

With the maintenance I did ( oil, trans service, rear diff service, plugs , brake pads and full flush) and the springs I think I am now into the truck for around $1700 total

Now I think I need to get my own trailer. Damn slippery slope!!

Quick Reply: Newbie towing advice