Notices

Trailex Opinions Requested

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 05:12 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Kein_Ersatz
Tow enclosed 1999 Trailex from Ohio to Sebring (18hours) / Ohio to RA (10 hours) / Ohio to WGI (8 hours) and back. Tow with '03 BMW X5 V8, quick enough thru WVa "hills". Other tow with Cayennes with no issues. We talk in paddocks :-)

If buying new from Trailex both side doors are worth it. Get canopy option too.

Rear door is different lock, but all side/front doors can be keyed to same lock/key combo. Get tire rack, winch, and floor storage.

Width is okay for typical 7ft garage door, but length and height (varies with Trailex options) can be a issue, so measure twice. I have both extra height and extra length options.

Swap out tires every 3-5 years, carry 2-spare tires (odds are if you run over something, it will do in both tires), and get TPMS monitoring (on Amazon) for trailer. TPMS, dest $99s I spent on trailer so far.
For anyone looking...

https://rennlist.com/forums/trucks-a...d-forsale.html 99 Trailex with full 6' interior height, $12k.

Mike
Old 10-14-2016, 09:19 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been using a Trailex enclosed for 2+ years. 12" additional height plus a bunch of other options.

I tow with a Cayenne diesel. It tows fine. Adequate tongue weight, like any trailer, is essential.

Build quality is excellent.

Storage is limited but adequate. I bought the optional front storage cabinet and the under-floor cabinet. I strongly recommend getting both.

I love the tire rack but with a standard height trailer the tire rack ends up being very low and close to the hood of the car. And it makes it more difficult to walk/crawl under the rack to move from front to back inside the trailer.

The new ramp enclosure is fantastic. The ramps glide in and out easily. I have a Cayman with a splitter that is quite low and I need to use race ramps.

I use Rennline tie-downs and I found it difficult to crawl down the passenger side of my car and get down to the floor to reach in and attach the front passenger-side strap to the car. I recently had Trailex install another door on the passenger side of the car and this makes it very easy to attach the tie-down without killing my back.

One of the most compelling reasons to purchase a Trailex is their resale value. It's a relatively low-risk purchase.

Regarding the 14" wheels and tires they may not be ideal but I haven't had any problems with them yet. I typically tow between 70 - 75mph and I do a 750 mile tow twice/year with many lesser tows mixed in.
Old 10-15-2016, 04:25 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

I suspect i have as many miles on my 99 enclosed trailex as anyone. I probably have put 120,000 miles on it, most every trip entailing NYC potholes and lots of hills.

They're very robust. Like any trailer, preventative maintenance and regular inspections are the key to longevity and reliability.

Tows fantastically behind a 1/2 ton pickup...cant say about an SUV. The closest track to me is 5-6 hours away; Wgi is 8 hours each way and mid -o is 12 hours. You won't be sorry on a long trip.
Old 10-15-2016, 04:49 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

I have two friends with enclosed trailex. They both love them. The only thing I can reiterate is that the extra 6 inches of headroom is key and the new tire rack is a lot better than the old one.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:54 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

FYI regarding trailer height, I'm pretty sure Trailex offers 4 different height options: 5', 5'-6", 6' and 6'-6". These refer to interior headroom. Mine is 6'. I would strongly recommend at least 6' for many reasons. The added windage is not worth worrying about relative to the benefits.
Old 10-16-2016, 03:34 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Jimglo and Intech will both make one that fits in your garage. I have a buddy with the Jimglo unit and one with the intech, both nice. We have a larger jimglo and ATC......stick with jimglo or intech.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:32 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by OpieT
The Trailex tows like a dream, I'm thrilled with it. Build quality is beautiful. You need to be creative with storage. I recommend searching "trailex" on the forum to see some of the threads and maybe ping some of the members that have had theirs longer. You can get that scooter in, golf cart stays home obviously.

I share your concerns over the 14" wheels and carry a spare, a trailer aid for quick change. I only have few thousand miles on the trailer at the moment, tires look new, trailer looks new...you may notice that they don't depreciate much if you search used...in fact, used are very hard to find in my experience. If you're someone who washes their trailer, this thing is so much easier to clean than a standard car trailer.

The trailer comes with multiple keys for all the different locks. One for front doors, one for side doors, one for ramp lock, that's a little annoying.

I've discovered that it's unusual enough that people frequently ask questions about it at the gas pump on trips. Rarely happened with the 26' outfit.
This!

Originally Posted by Beantown Kman
I've been using a Trailex enclosed for 2+ years. 12" additional height plus a bunch of other options.

I tow with a Cayenne diesel. It tows fine. Adequate tongue weight, like any trailer, is essential.

Build quality is excellent.

Storage is limited but adequate. I bought the optional front storage cabinet and the under-floor cabinet. I strongly recommend getting both.

I love the tire rack but with a standard height trailer the tire rack ends up being very low and close to the hood of the car. And it makes it more difficult to walk/crawl under the rack to move from front to back inside the trailer.

The new ramp enclosure is fantastic. The ramps glide in and out easily. I have a Cayman with a splitter that is quite low and I need to use race ramps.

One of the most compelling reasons to purchase a Trailex is their resale value. It's a relatively low-risk purchase.

Regarding the 14" wheels and tires they may not be ideal but I haven't had any problems with them yet. I typically tow between 70 - 75mph and I do a 750 mile tow twice/year with many lesser tows mixed in.
This!

Originally Posted by mhm993
I suspect i have as many miles on my 99 enclosed trailex as anyone. I probably have put 120,000 miles on it, most every trip entailing NYC potholes and lots of hills.

They're very robust. Like any trailer, preventative maintenance and regular inspections are the key to longevity and reliability.

Tows fantastically behind a 1/2 ton pickup...cant say about an SUV. The closest track to me is 5-6 hours away; Wgi is 8 hours each way and mid -o is 12 hours. You won't be sorry on a long trip.
This!

Originally Posted by linzman
I have two friends with enclosed trailex. They both love them. The only thing I can reiterate is that the extra 6 inches of headroom is key and the new tire rack is a lot better than the old one.
and this!

Have about 20k miles on mine and I am still impressed with the build quality. I used to tow with my Cayenne GTS and now with an Audi Q7 Diesel. I like the better torque of the Diesel and the fact that I can run over 300 miles with a tank of gas while towing so it clearly outlast my bladder.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:04 PM
Surfbum
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry for the delay, Family Weekend at my daughters College, I forgot what a sh_t show the frat houses are!!

Thanks for all the imput, I need to decide if I want to keep it in the garage or not, the summers out here are brutal and I have always stored my trailers indoors.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:11 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
It seems like a lot of members on here that have bought an enclosed, regardless of brand, seem to either like or wish they had the side exit door. The few times I've seen cars winch loaded on trailers without the side door it appeared to be a PITA to get the car in straight (one guy mentioned he wished he had his skinny grandson here to steer).
Winch loading since 2008, about 30 times a season. If you cannot get your car in where you wanted it then consider badminton or croquet as a sport.
But do be smart and get a wireless remote control for your winch. I walk along side with an occasional nudge of the steering wheel. Often don't even touch the wheel.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:09 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
Winch loading since 2008, about 30 times a season. If you cannot get your car in where you wanted it then consider badminton or croquet as a sport.
But do be smart and get a wireless remote control for your winch. I walk along side with an occasional nudge of the steering wheel. Often don't even touch the wheel.
Its good to read that you are not as "husky" as some of those others and have badminton and croquet as a side hobby.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:25 PM
cec3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a std height trailex encl and love the fact that it fits in my garage - makes prepping for a wknd much easier than off-site storage.

As others have said, drivers side door is invaluable (no fender to forget to remove) and serves as a built-in awning, new tire rack is really nice (can fit 8 tires), no trouble with long hauls (i do sebring and RdAm from Kentucky)

yes, you have to pull out the ramps (and use raceramps), but they are lightweight and it takes all of 2min and better yet, the door is yet another large awning covering the working end of the trailer which is like a giant workbench

aerovault looks really cool but 1) can't fit 8 tires 2)no driver escape door 3) no exposed studs for mounting storage accessories

ive used my setup for both DE and CR and main thing i miss from my big enclosed is the A/C

Here is my hotel setup at RdAtl (sleeping bag up front)

Old 10-21-2016, 01:53 AM
Surfbum
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

cec3, i concur with your analysis, the benefits of the extra storage capacity seem to outweigh the looks factor of the aerovault in my opinion.

Curious to ask those of you that have a Trailex if you regret not spending the extra money on the curb side door/awning. I am definitely planning on using the winch to pull the vehicle into the trailer so Im not looking at the side door as an escape hatch but rather to use the door as shade. It always seems to me that when I'm setting up at the track I am trying to place my trailer in a direction so my awnings are providing shade in the afternoon. It would appear to me that if you had awnings on both sides you would have shade on both sides.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:27 AM
rnh204
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Personally if I need shade, I would go in the trailer. Unless you happen to have RHD car you dont really need it.
Old 10-21-2016, 03:04 PM
AerovaultTrailer
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a std height trailex encl and love the fact that it fits in my garage - makes prepping for a wknd much easier than off-site storage.

As others have said, drivers side door is invaluable (no fender to forget to remove) and serves as a built-in awning, new tire rack is really nice (can fit 8 tires), no trouble with long hauls (i do sebring and RdAm from Kentucky)

yes, you have to pull out the ramps (and use raceramps), but they are lightweight and it takes all of 2min and better yet, the door is yet another large awning covering the working end of the trailer which is like a giant workbench

aerovault looks really cool but 1) can't fit 8 tiresThis is doable as we can customize the height of the shelf in the nose to fit 8 tires 2)no driver escape door We prefer winching the car in and out so we provide you with a winch.3) no exposed studs for mounting storage accessories We do not have any internal structure do to it being a semi-monocoque design. You can always use the access doors in the nose to mount accessories or use the four storage channels. The design along with the fins helps with crosswinds which kept us from having to have a 'flexible' structure. We feel the towing experience is more important and that more time is spent (for some) in the tow vehicle. Thank you for putting these out there so we could answer them!

ive used my setup for both DE and CR and main thing i miss from my big enclosed is the A/C

Quick Reply: Trailex Opinions Requested