Notices

Truck tires on your trailer?

Old 08-01-2016, 11:13 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Per my other thread I discovered this today totally by accident when I went to get some brake pads out of my trailer. The bulge (delamination) was up tucked up inside the wheel well and I might have easily missed it except for the shadow it threw. Hopefully I would have caught it Thursday when I loaded up for Laguna this weekend as I always check pressures.

There's simply no excuse for this. These are Maxxis 10 ply E-rates tires always kept inside or with tire covers. 2 years, 3 months old about the same as the previous set of the same Maxxis tires that also delaminated. It's not the manufacturer, it could easily have been Goodyear or Carlisle. They all know their tires are not built to haul a reasonably heavy weight, they're really only good for open or light utility trailers. My Pace weighs maybe 8k fully loaded and has almost 1k. on the tongue so that leaves 7k spread out over 4 tires or 1,750 per tire. They're rated for 2,830 max load 80 lbs. so mine certainly aren't stressed by the weight. It was quite hot 2 Sunday's back when I hauled back from Laguna down the I5. My speeds were limited by a blown turbo (no boost) so I was cruising at a comfortable 50-55 max. Even so, the heat should not be the cause of a tire delamination. That's what they're built for....

Side bar: I went to a SCCA race weekend recently that was hosting a VARA group. As I walked the paddock I was astounded by the number of trailers using 16" LT tires. These are older racers who've been down the road a time or two. I asked several why and they all pretty much said the same thing. The 15" trailer tires just don't hold up....
Attached Images  
Old 08-02-2016, 11:13 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 800 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Per my other thread I discovered this today totally by accident when I went to get some brake pads out of my trailer. The bulge (delamination) was up tucked up inside the wheel well and I might have easily missed it except for the shadow it threw. Hopefully I would have caught it Thursday when I loaded up for Laguna this weekend as I always check pressures.

There's simply no excuse for this. These are Maxxis 10 ply E-rates tires always kept inside or with tire covers. 2 years, 3 months old about the same as the previous set of the same Maxxis tires that also delaminated. It's not the manufacturer, it could easily have been Goodyear or Carlisle. They all know their tires are not built to haul a reasonably heavy weight, they're really only good for open or light utility trailers. My Pace weighs maybe 8k fully loaded and has almost 1k. on the tongue so that leaves 7k spread out over 4 tires or 1,750 per tire. They're rated for 2,830 max load 80 lbs. so mine certainly aren't stressed by the weight. It was quite hot 2 Sunday's back when I hauled back from Laguna down the I5. My speeds were limited by a blown turbo (no boost) so I was cruising at a comfortable 50-55 max. Even so, the heat should not be the cause of a tire delamination. That's what they're built for....
Wow! Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:26 AM
Trailers of the East Coast
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you running them at 80#?
Old 08-02-2016, 01:03 PM
AerovaultTrailer
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior

Side bar: I went to a SCCA race weekend recently that was hosting a VARA group. As I walked the paddock I was astounded by the number of trailers using 16" LT tires. These are older racers who've been down the road a time or two. I asked several why and they all pretty much said the same thing. The 15" trailer tires just don't hold up....

I have to agree with Frank 993 C4S. A TPMS is the way to go if you just had a tire with delamination issues. The heat may not have been the primary cause of the delamination, but it probably was a partial cause of the pressure reducing to the point of causing the bulge. It's worth the $ vs. having it happen again.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:36 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AerovaultTrailer
I have to agree with Frank 993 C4S. A TPMS is the way to go if you just had a tire with delamination issues. The heat may not have been the primary cause of the delamination, but it probably was a partial cause of the pressure reducing to the point of causing the bulge. It's worth the $ vs. having it happen again.
They never lost pressure and are sitting at 81 in the garage as I type. Heat may have caused the delamination, but it wasn't heat build up due to low pressure. They're just poorly constructed tires...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Truck tires on your trailer?