Old 07-15-2016, 01:50 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Tire and other questions for towing setup

Hi guys. Glad to have this subforum.

Here's my setup:
  • 2015 Toyota Tundra, CrewMax, 4x4, TRD Supercharger (~500 hp, ~550 lb- ft)
  • Stock tires (Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza in P275/55R20 111H)
  • Leer Cap
  • Firestone airbags on rear axle
  • 20' Continental enclosed trailer with 3,012 dry weight
  • Tekonsha Prodigy RF brake controller (love it, easy to swap tow vehicles)

Here's what I normally do when I tow my GT4:
  1. Total trailer/vehicle/stuff weight is around 6,750, so I keep my tongue weight at around 800 - 900 lbs (12% - 13%)
  2. Inflate the rear tires on the Tundra to the max PSI indicated on the sidewall (44 psi cold). I find that this helps minimize the pogo effect when I tow.
  3. Inflate the rear airbags to bring the rear end back to the ride height it is without the trailer -- this is usually about 30 psi per bag

Does anyone have comments/suggestions for this setup? This is my first truck and trailer combo. Never had a pickup truck before.

Also, I have a tire question...

On the Tundra forums, people seem to recommend switching from the stock tires to D or even E rated tires. I rented a Dodge Ram 2500 a few weeks ago that had either D or E load tires with 80 psi ratings and I thought the ride was brutal -- even pulling the fully loaded trailer. So, I'm loathe to put D or E load tires on the Tundra, especially since I only tow may 2 - 4 days a month.

Do you think it's ok to stick with the stock tires, as long as the load rating isn't exceeded (which I'm not) and I use max PSI when trailering?

Thanks!

John
Old 07-15-2016, 04:49 PM
Trailers of the East Coast
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What issues are you having with towing? You are a bit heavy on the tongue for a trailer that size with your truck.

As far as load range on tires, best practice is to know the weight of your loaded tow rig + tongue weight of your trailer and size your tire accordingly. If you're approaching the upper bounds of your tires' load rating, look at going up a step. Here's the factory reference material for your truck:

Last edited by Trailers of the East Coast; 07-15-2016 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:59 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

Don't ever use the tire sidewall rating as a suggestion. Please search google for numerous reasons why.
Old 07-16-2016, 12:55 AM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds okay on paper but near the upper limit for towing with a 1/2 ton. Try it but I imagine you'll be fine as long as the towing feels normal and you aren't towing long distances frequently. If something feels strange or uncomfortable, post here and I'm sure folks will help you out. Also, you didn't mention it but I highly recommend a weight distribution hitch if you aren't already using one. You might even need it to stay within your hitch's weight rating.

I'm not sure what the poster directly above is warning as far as tire sidewall rating, but I agree with inflating the rear tires to the max sidewall rating when towing.

And I echo your experience with a 3/4+ ton truck. They're very stiff, and the ride you experienced wasn't just due to the LT E rated tires. The whole truck is a lot stiffer. I doubt that putting LT E rated tires on your Tundra will be nearly as hard as the 2500 you rented though.
Old 07-16-2016, 11:48 AM
Sboxin
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

John,

We have 2 friends that tow with this set up here in the desert - they have done fine on some long trips.

However, the weight distribution hitch is strongly advisable - and perhaps the anti-sway device too.

One other comment - - as always pay special attention to the trailer tires - this seems to be where most of the failures occur - - we have gone to Bridgestone Duravis truck tires (80 psi) on 16" rims - - but we also use a GMC 2500HD tow truck.

Regards,
Roy T
Crew Chief for son's 911 race car

Old 07-16-2016, 11:54 AM
Trailers of the East Coast
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As mentioned above, a weight distribution hitch is going to help greatly with both ride quality and sway. They make some, such as the Blue Ox SwayPro, with sway control measures integrated into the hitch.

You may want to consider looking into a second set of smaller wheels to open up your options on D/E rated tires for long distance towing. Just a thought.

- Matt @ TOEC

Quick Reply: Tire and other questions for towing setup