Notices

2016/7 XC90 for Towing???

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 12:55 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for all the input.

I have ruled out the XC90. However, I really want to avoid a pickup and am willing to invest in a lightweight (e.g., Trailex 8045, 980lbs) open trailer. I'll defer the enclosed possibility to a few years from now.

Thus looking at all the numbers (max tow, tongue weight, payload, etc.) and considering keeping the raw size down, it seems like the Jeep GC Diesel may be the way to go. Next step up from that would be a Tahoe, but this is a bit big and fuel inefficient for double use as a DD.

db
Old 07-15-2016, 01:25 PM
Trailers of the East Coast
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’d also recommend you take a look at ATC’s Open Car Haulers, specifically the 18ft model with 3,500# axles. You’ll be slightly heavier empty (1,400#) but you’ll have much more substantial running gear, 15” wheels/tires instead of 14”, 3,500# Dexter Torsion axles with four wheel electric brakes, and a heavier welded tube frame to ensure durability. Your payload capacity will be substantially higher as well, should you choose to upgrade tow vehicles down the road.

Here’s one I have in stock. ATC offer a modular tire rack, gravel guard, and very trick removable winch setup that I can quote for you as well. I can deliver anywhere in the continental USA.

http://www.trailersoftheeastcoast.co...=xallinventory

Let me know if you’d like more details.

- Matt @ TOEC
Old 07-15-2016, 01:34 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 555 Posts

My Trailex 8045 has been rock solid, and it's nearly 10 years old. It looks and works like new. The company answers the phone on the first ring, and sends me free stuff when I ask - like bolts and wiring bits. The only wish list item I have is a lower deck - but this design allows you to move the axles around to optimize the tongue weight vs. when you are switching between cars that have radically different CGs - i.e. corvette vs. 911.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:44 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
My Trailex 8045 has been rock solid, and it's nearly 10 years old. It looks and works like new. The company answers the phone on the first ring, and sends me free stuff when I ask - like bolts and wiring bits. The only wish list item I have is a lower deck - but this design allows you to move the axles around to optimize the tongue weight vs. when you are switching between cars that have radically different CGs - i.e. corvette vs. 911.
That's good to hear, I'm glad they're out there taking care of their folks after the sale, it's the right way to do business.

I'll have to look up more details on the adjustable axles -- that's an interesting concept. Is that a feature you've utilized, and if so, what does the process look like? I'd be curious to know how much adjustment folks find is necessary between front/rear engined cars, etc. to get tongue weight correct.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:50 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by Trailers of the East Coast
That's good to hear, I'm glad they're out there taking care of their folks after the sale, it's the right way to do business.

I'll have to look up more details on the adjustable axles -- that's an interesting concept. Is that a feature you've utilized, and if so, what does the process look like? I'd be curious to know how much adjustment folks find is necessary between front/rear engined cars, etc. to get tongue weight correct.
There are a few bolts you loosen to slide the whole assembly f/r - some issues with brake lines I'd guess. Mine came setup for a 911. When I switched to a Cayman, I had to move the car about 4 inches to get the tongue weight right. If I had to move the car any more, I'd have to play with the axle location.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:03 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
There are a few bolts you loosen to slide the whole assembly f/r - some issues with brake lines I'd guess. Mine came setup for a 911. When I switched to a Cayman, I had to move the car about 4 inches to get the tongue weight right. If I had to move the car any more, I'd have to play with the axle location.
Sending you a PM, didn't want to load his thread up with back and forth posts.

- Matt @ TOEC
Old 07-22-2016, 11:22 AM
Speeddemon944
Advanced

I can attest to the build quality of the ATC. Simply amazing, though spendy. You will need to watch for stress fractures in the aluminum trailers vs. watching for rust on the steel.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:36 AM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 239 Posts

I just towed my GT4 with our 2016 XC90 from Atlanta to Barber in AL. The 4cyl twin charged Volvo did great. No lag, no hesitation, felt fine on local streets with hills, as well as the highway. I pulled an Aluma trailer with it.

I did have to buy a brake controller for the Volvo. I went with the Prodigy RF. This is a wireless brake controller that has two parts. A controller plugs into the cig lighter, and then a module that mounts on the trailer. It's plug and play, but these two modules have to be "paired" together and the Volvo has a LED bulb checking program and won't pair the brake controller. But if you pair the controller with another vehicle (I used a friend's MDX) then you can swap the controller back to the Volvo.

Name:  20170115_144046_zpshqhbpnbj.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  261.4 KB
Old 01-16-2017, 12:28 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

To OP
I tow a 996 GT3 with my 2011 Cayenne S (RF brake controller and 4 wheel electric brakes on trailer) which is rated to 7600lb and 600lb tongue weight. Many expert here to confirm, but more tongue weight is better than light as it helps with trailer stability. I have the trailer with car and 4 tires on the tire rack balanced at 500lb.
You can tow with the Volvo as long as you are in moderate terrain and drive at moderate speed.
However, as many events as you do, suggest finding a SUV with higher tongue and tow rating, maybe consider the new Q7 or Toyota/Lexus product or Porsche. Used Cayenne and Cayenne S are not that expensive.
I have a tire rack on the trailer, but the Caynne can fit 4 tires (315/245) across when the rear seats are folded down so easily take one set of rims and tires and a new set of tires to Discount for mounting.
Attached Images  

Last edited by tgavem; 01-16-2017 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Spelling and sentence structure update
Old 01-16-2017, 01:47 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by tgavem
I tow at 996 GT3 with my 2011 Cayenne S
How do you get it to stay on the road?
Old 01-16-2017, 02:54 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

RF controller connected to the emergency pads on rear wheels, set at constant drag, new pads every weekend..............

smart-*** answer for smart-*** comment.

Last edited by tgavem; 01-16-2017 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:57 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
How do you get it to stay on the road?
obviously he's Australian
Old 01-16-2017, 03:29 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
obviously he's Australian
That or from Texas.... there I go again being a "smart-***"!
Old 01-16-2017, 10:54 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Fixed spelling. All good. :-)

Quick Reply: 2016/7 XC90 for Towing???