Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Trucks and Trailers (https://rennlist.com/forums/trucks-and-trailers-239/)
-   -   My Trailer Diary (https://rennlist.com/forums/trucks-and-trailers/737426-my-trailer-diary.html)

24Chromium 04-04-2013 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by KaiB (Post 10358443)
I've been pondering the tire storage thing also.

I currently have two 4 wheel racks mounted on the sides of my trailer - aft of the cabinets and over the hood of the car. While one must stoop to tie the car down, they are otherwise in a perfect position...until Sunday evening when 8 dirty wheels and tires must be hoisted into the trailer and up onto the racks.

The cart would remedy this, of course, but render the front area of the trailer useless until it's dragged out - which requires pulling the car out. I can think of many hours I've spent in the trailer with the car still in it and wouldn't want to loose that option.

Yeah... this issue is very tough. One suggestion, courtesy of my pal Mooty, is to buy a bigger trailer. :thumbsup: Have enough linear length past the front of the car in order to position the tire cart longways along the wall and strap it down.

I'm curious, you say you've spent hours in the trailer with the car in it. Does this mean that time was at the track? Or, do you keep the trailer (car in it) at home? In my case, I'm storing my trailer in an indoor RV warehouse. They have a valet service with a pickup and drop off lot. Customers are not allowed inside the warehouse. Hence, I won't be storing my car in the trailer. Likewise, I won't store my wheels in the trailer, unless... I don't need to mount new tires, get them balanced, clean them, etc. I'll be storing the car, tires and my crash cart (JP jackstands, floor jack, torque wrench, cordless impact gun, etc.) at home in the garage. So, in my usage scenario, I don't envision much need to get into the cabinets at the workbench when the car is loaded.

We'll see how this unfolds as I begin to use my trailer in earnest. I may want to go the Mooty route and Go B I G ! ! ! :bowdown:

KaiB 04-04-2013 12:21 PM

Everything stays in my trailer next to my shop so I'm often in there while at home, but that's not really a factor.

At the track, I'm often in the trailer while the car is in it for any number of reasons. Were I you, I'd just wait until you get a feel for your own style. All tire racks must be loaded and unloaded, often on Sunday when one just doesn't want to do anything at all...it's merely a matter of how and where.

drl 04-04-2013 12:33 PM

24 - what are those etrack singles mounted to? I am wondering how sturdy they are, esp those mounted to the workbench...

24Chromium 04-04-2013 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by drl (Post 10358805)
24 - what are those etrack singles mounted to? I am wondering how sturdy they are, esp those mounted to the workbench...

Yep, the 2 mounted to the workbench are not going to be as stout as the 2 opposite that are riveted to the trailer's steel framing for the door.

I'll have to confirm when I pick up the trailer, but I was told that they placed some sheet metal backing behind the 2 on the corner of the workbench.

24Chromium 04-04-2013 12:45 PM

TPD has been shockingly non-comital on my delivery date. This is making it impossible to make any firm plans for the 4+ hour round trip I'll have to make to pick it up. And that doesn't include all the time I expect to spend learning how everything works, going over all the items to insure they were built/installed/delivered/etc. correctly. From what I've learned so far from other recent deliveries, I'm expecting that to be 2 or 3 hours.

They tell me it should be ready tomorrow, Friday April 5th. Fingers crossed!

Nick Wong 04-04-2013 12:56 PM

Very nice trailer. Looks quite user friendly!

TrackDays247.com 04-04-2013 03:12 PM

Friend who trailers everything of every size says this: Dually / 4 wheel trailer - if you can

24Chromium 04-06-2013 02:36 AM

5 Attachment(s)
She's home! I got up at 4:30 am and drove up to Sacramento to take delivery. I spent about 3 hours at TPD going over everything and making some minor tweaks and adjustments. Huge thank you to Shawn for all his help (and patience) during the design phase. And special thanks to Justin for his help today getting everything dialed in just so.

Shawn (L) and Justin (R):
Attachment 717981

Checking the awning. Love my checkered flag!
Attachment 717982

Here she is parked at home:
Attachment 717983

Once I got her home, it was time to start adding all the bits and pieces I'd been collecting - fuel jugs, wall clock, iPod HiFi, fire extinguisher, tools, etc.
Attachment 717984

I assembled the air line chuck, hung my jack, strapped down some camp chairs and a folding table for good measure!
Attachment 717985

24Chromium 04-06-2013 02:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Reese Strait-Line sway control/weight distribution hitch:

Attachment 717987

24Chromium 04-06-2013 02:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Arrow door cabinet:

24Chromium 04-06-2013 02:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Straps (all hung with care...):

Attachment 717992

winders 04-06-2013 02:44 AM

Are you going to be at the 4/26 track day at Thunderhill so I can see it in person?

Scott

ex10psi 04-06-2013 02:47 AM

Congrats!!! Looks awesome!

24Chromium 04-06-2013 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by winders (Post 10363696)
Are you going to be at the 4/26 track day at Thunderhill so I can see it in person?

Scott

But, of course!

P.J.S. 04-06-2013 02:52 AM

Beautiful
Congrats