towing 8,000-8,500 lb enclosed trailer with a 1/2 ton vs. 3/4 ton pickup

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2024, 02:14 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,424 Likes on 890 Posts

Originally Posted by LiveNupe
So I bit the bullet and bought a 3/4 ton GMC diesel. I towed my 8000 lb trailer 3 hours and was amazed at the difference vs. my previous experience towing with my long wheelbase SUV (Cadillac Escalade) that’s rated for 7800 pound (In you’re tracking the numbers, please know that I didn’t carry as much extra stuff when towing with my SUV to make sure I stayed below 7800 lbs.). A few observations:

1) I’m still being pushed around by the 18 wheelers and buses. Some how, I thought I wouldn’t need sway control bars, but I was clearly mistaken. The truck is a bit better, but it still needs some help
2) The ride is definitely “bouncier”. I noticed road imperfections, bumps, surface undulations, etc that I never noticed before
3) I miss my toys!!! I never realized how much I like super-cruise, lane keep assist, and a gps/entertainment system that’s not google-based. If anyone from GM is reading this, IMHO you guys took a big step backwards with these “improvements”
You made the right call with the HD truck.

I have extensive experience towing a trailer with my GMC Sierra Denali 1500, but I never towed a trailer over 6,000 lbs. My truck did fine with a 6,000 lb. trailer, but I don’t think I’d want to tow a trailer heavier than that even though my truck is technically rated to tow much more. As mentioned above, the limiting factor (especially in a 1/2 ton truck) is payload capacity, which is why tongue weight is so important. I used a Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch for sway control but also for weight distribution. It made a huge difference in ride quality and stability.

Enjoy the new truck!
The following users liked this post:
LiveNupe (06-30-2024)

Quick Reply: towing 8,000-8,500 lb enclosed trailer with a 1/2 ton vs. 3/4 ton pickup