Notices

Help identifying Trailex Trailer Parts

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2023, 02:59 PM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Help identifying Trailex Trailer Parts

Hi - I have a 2002 Trailex enclosed trailer. I'm trying to get any specifics on what axles it uses. It's either a CTE-1741 or a CTE-84180.

I purchased it as a CTE-84180 and it is indeed an 8'6" wide trailer with 84" between the fenders, but It looks like there is a sticker inside the trailer that mentions CTE-1741 and it looks like it could well be. It has the side-swinging doors on the side, versus the swing-up door.
Anyway, I lost a bearing that lead to the axle end being badly damaged, on the way back from the Mid-Ohio ClubRace. The problem is that we can't find any identifying marks on the axles to say what they are. That's making it hard to find replacements.

If anyone has any resources or knowledge here, it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-01-2023, 03:04 PM
Flashf16
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Give Carl a call at Trailex customer service. He is a wealth of info and will look it up if he doesn’t know it off the top of his head. Great asset.
The following users liked this post:
M_Weining (06-01-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 03:36 PM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Thanks, I think he’s at a car show ATM. Hopefully he gets back to us soon.
Old 06-02-2023, 11:54 AM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Carl is hard to get ahold of. We are getting one response question a day it looks like.

So far it looks like I have a 2002 CTE-1741
8'6" wide with 84" between the fenders (so could also be a CTE-84180 under the new naming scheme)
78" center-to-center on the leaf spring
10.5" drum brakes on the hubs.

We still don't have enough information (like a part number) to source a replacement. If anyone has any anectodes, like where did you get a replacement axle, etc. I'd love to hear.
Old 06-02-2023, 02:15 PM
Steve Dawson
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Trailex uses a range of off the shelf components from various manufacturers. The stack of documents that came with my 2016 trailer included an instruction sheet from Dexter, the axle company. Maybe they can ID the axle and help.

Carl is not the only knowledgeable contact at Trailex; maybe if you make a general request for info they can direct you to someone else.
Old 06-02-2023, 06:52 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,423 Likes on 1,791 Posts

Trailer parts like spindles, brake, bearings and seals r all standard parts for the weight capacity and lug pattern. Im sure all the parts r available at any trailer store or e-trailer.com.

Just pull one of the good hubs apart, measure the parts or look for numbers on the bearings, races and seals to match stuff up.
Old 06-04-2023, 05:36 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 924 Likes on 563 Posts

Did you try taking the axle to the local RV place or trailer dealer? They will be able to ID it.
Old 06-05-2023, 09:26 AM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Did you try taking the axle to the local RV place or trailer dealer? They will be able to ID it.
the trailer is at Fleetpride in Troy, NY. There are no markings on the axle. Hopefully we hear from Carl today. I’m also going to call into eTrailer to see if they know what would work. It *is* helpful to know they used parts off the shelf. If Dexter has the axle assemblies that match the current dimensions then I should be good.
Old 06-05-2023, 02:05 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,133 Posts

Just spoke to Trailex (Carl I think?) and ordered 2 more hydraulic arms for the rear door on my enclosed Trailex. Another on blew out from overuse...lol.

He is there now or was on Friday. Arms shipped today.

Old 06-06-2023, 09:07 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 924 Likes on 563 Posts

Originally Posted by Difool
the trailer is at Fleetpride in Troy, NY. There are no markings on the axle. Hopefully we hear from Carl today. I’m also going to call into eTrailer to see if they know what would work. It *is* helpful to know they used parts off the shelf. If Dexter has the axle assemblies that match the current dimensions then I should be good.
Fleet Pride is heavy truck and trailer. You're outside their normal realm. Talk to someone like this https://imperialtrailersales.com/ and see what they say.
The following users liked this post:
mhm993 (06-07-2023)
Old 06-06-2023, 10:11 AM
Driver8
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Difool

Give Dexter a call. They are in Round Lake, NY and have always been helpful. They used to be Redneck Trailer Supplies

https://www.dexter-distribution.com
Old 06-12-2023, 05:16 PM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Thanks again. Carl came through with all the Intel, including where to take some of the measurements (not intuitive). Trailex doesn’t carry the axles for the CTE-1741 any longer - non torsion. Dexter doesn’t carry them in stock for the needed size but is willing to make them, it’s just a bit of a lead time, about 3 weeks.

Old 06-12-2023, 05:19 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 45 Posts

If you're swapping axles, Have you considered changing over to torsion axles?
Old 06-15-2023, 06:35 AM
Difool
Rennlist Member

I hadn’t, actually. That would be cool, but I think I’d want that done by a shop with a bit more familiarity and expertise. It was hard enough just getting what’s on there replaced. I did quote getting the trailer towed back to my area but it was pretty expensive.
Old 06-24-2023, 12:44 AM
Difool
Rennlist Member

You can’t make this stuff up. On the way out to the WGI race with a borrowed trailer, Fleetpride called to say that Dexter Axles has ceased operations and they canceled all custom orders. Since Fleetpride mostly works on big rigs they were at a loss for next steps. We agreed to have my trailer towed to Bennett Trailers in Scotia NY (3rd tow in this ordeal). I then stopped by on my way back to Boston and they were great. They have two other sources for custom axles. We talked through all my options and the trailer will be awesome again …. In 6-8 weeks. Sheesh.