Notices

What truck to pull older gooseneck

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2023 | 09:59 AM
Slow RSA
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

For what it's worth, and no idea by how much, but my '13 F350 SRW 4WD definitely sits taller than our team's '12 F350 2WD, not sure how much you can tell from the photo. Maybe that will make up the difference you need??? Best of luck to you, sounds like you'll have a nice set-up once it's all said and done.

Old 02-04-2023 | 10:50 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82
They say a picture is worth 1000 words. I should have posted this at the start..

Here it is on a rented F350 when I picked it up... Its Waaaayyyyy out of level to make this work. So much so that, unloaded, I had to disconnect the trailer brakes as it locked up the front wheels every time I touched the brakes (It didn't help that is had 6 different type of tires on it)...

For what its worth, I'm gutting it and rebuilding from the ground up..... Should be nice when I'm done, but it was very rough when I bought it....

Thanks again for all the advice... That's why I love this place... Please keep it coming...

Jeff
Just my 2 cents (maybe 3)
Tow vehicles have a "trailer brake gain controller" for the brakes. Tweaking that will help with the lockup when empty, but most of your towing will be with the car loaded.
Check tongue weight with car loaded full in front and that may bring the truck bed down a bit.
If you are gutting it just block the axels and get longer ramps to make life easier. You also need to think about castors on the tail if you do stay with the raked setup. Not so nice to drag the tail pulling into a fuel stop. Another option is larger tires if you have the clearance.
Check the age of the tires and toss them if over 2 years old, 3 years max. DO NOT CHEAP OUT ON GETTING 1 MORE YEAR!! For sure you will find out how much it sucks to have a tire blow if you run mis matched old tires. Tread wear means nothing. Trailer tire age is everything.
Old 02-05-2023 | 03:27 PM
jscott82
Drifting

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

So here it is..... Drumroll please

2015 F350 Dual real wheels, but 2 wheel drive (very hard to find this combo).. not mention I did not want crewcab, but needed room for the dog.... So a 2WD, DRW, extended cab, long bed, that isnt white, really is getting into unicorn territory...

But i found one!!!! and it fits perfect.... Still unfinished (no walls or cabinets yet) it has 5in of clearance with the the trailer dead level. Once finished and loaded it should squat at least another inch..

Last edited by jscott82; 02-05-2023 at 03:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RossP (02-06-2023)
Old 02-08-2023 | 12:01 PM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 50 Posts

I also pull mine with a 2 wheel drive truck, you are right about them being unicorns but defiantly the way to go for towing.

The following users liked this post:
ned911 (02-15-2023)
Old 02-09-2023 | 10:10 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 526 Likes on 286 Posts

2015 F350 Dual real wheels, but 2 wheel drive (very hard to find this combo).. not mention I did not want crewcab, but needed room for the dog.... So a 2WD, DRW, extended cab, long bed, that isnt white, really is getting into unicorn territory...

But i found one!!!! and it fits perfect.... Still unfinished (no walls or cabinets yet) it has 5in of clearance with the the trailer dead level. Once finished and loaded it should squat at least another inch..

Ford SD/Super-Cab/DRW in non-white is really rare!! I hope that it is a diesel. Congratulations.

Last edited by Igooz; 02-09-2023 at 10:49 PM.
Old 02-10-2023 | 09:25 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 292 Posts

Best tow package possible for you. Shortening the gooseneck post would make your attic bottom and truck side rails get to crash into each other cresting small hills or even service station entrances. Find a parking lot to see how much you can turn without the trailer nose hitting your truck back pillar or window. The rear window of the cab will make a loud noise if turned to tight, usually when backing up. Loud BANG followed by a sound like ice trays being dumped. Ask me how I know.
Old 04-04-2023 | 12:46 AM
Capt Steve
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
The rear window of the cab will make a loud noise if turned too tight, usually when backing up. Loud BANG followed by a sound like ice trays being dumped. Ask me how I know.
I have heard that sound, unfortunately!
Steve

Quick Reply: What truck to pull older gooseneck