Notices

Looking for a trailer

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2022, 05:56 AM
L8 APXR
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Looking for a trailer

Let's go ahead and get it out of the way that I am fully addicted to DE. Been doing this for almost a decade and recently purchased my fourth 911 (2014 C2S) that I am starting to prep for the track. I have also recently moved from H-town to central FL so looking forward to driving new tracks and meeting fellow addicts....

I am ready for the next step in my journey - purchasing an open trailer to transport the C2S. Looks like aluminum is the way to go (it is what I have under my flats skiff so am sold on the weight and maintenance benefits) and I want to save a few fun coupons so looking to buy used. I have seen a few used Trailex and Featherlight trailers for sale at an attractive price - are those good trailers? Anything else I should consider (want to keep the cost well under 5 figures if possible so tilt trailers seem to be out of range). Trailer dimensions and/or model numbers? Tire carrier, front shield, tool boxes?

As mentioned previously, I have seen a few for sale in the RL Marketplace however are there any other websites I should peruse for a trailer? And I would prefer to not have to drive 1K miles to buy a trailer but if good units are rare then maybe that is what I need to do?

Anything else I should consider? I realize an enclosed trailer may be in my future but want to start with an open trailer for now.

TIA
Old 07-20-2022, 08:34 AM
toma nova
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 238 Posts

People say to buy the biggest trailer you can afford, but I went with the smallest that would fit my cars so I could store the trailer in my garage. Locally, Trailex were expensive and the longest wait and Featherlite were available but expensive. I bought an Aluma 7814 from Lone Star Trailers in Waco. It was on order so only took two weeks to come in, 14’ long fits my Miata, Boxster, and a new to me 928. Less than 1200 lbs, was about $9k with a tool box, spare, brakes on both axles, and aluminum wheels.

I had looked for used for several months but they don’t come up too often (or nearby) and used prices weren’t too far off new. I’m very happy with the Aluma.
Old 07-20-2022, 11:54 AM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

I have a world-class 2021 Featherlight #3110-0017-STD with Goodyear ST205/75R15 tires in perfect condition. It has a custom-built aluminum tire rack ($1,400), Aluminum tool box, 3-jug fuel holder, GPS tracking device, Bulldog power Jack, Mac's tie-down straps and ratchets, spare tire, tire pressure monitoring system, Race Ramps, and a Yakima bike rack. But I won't sell the trailer until my race car is gone. I'm also in central Florida, near Ocala.

Old 07-20-2022, 02:58 PM
Glyndellis
Pro

Received 178 Likes on 110 Posts

I'd fully recommend a Trailex 8045. Mine tows well, and is light enough to move on the driveway without too much effort.

There's one for sale on CorvetteForum (no affiliation - saw it whilst forum browsing) - https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nt-condit.html

And there's now one on Rennlist!

Last edited by Glyndellis; 07-20-2022 at 08:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Looking for a trailer