Notices

Two car trailer question

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2021, 12:10 PM
mbean
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Two car trailer question

We’re thinking of getting a two car gooseneck trailer for our 993 and 951 track cars. A few questions:
1) How long on the deck?
2) We have a 2500 HD Duramax extended cab
8’ bed to tow with. Is this doable? Would
prefer aluminum due to weight issues. Sally
would prefer enclosed so who am I to argue?
3) Two axle or three?

Any suggestions, comments or wise remarks appreciated!

Old 12-25-2021, 03:46 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,423 Likes on 1,791 Posts

Open or enclosed.

If open u have plenty of truck to pull it. only issue with an enclosed would be the wind resistance.

open deck, i would go with a low boy steel, alum doesnt really save any weight. 14k, 2-7k axles will be more then enough at 28-30'.

For enclosed i would up the weight to 18-20k and use a triple 6k or double 10k axle. I would also go to 34' so u can get storage cabinets in front.

Buddys dully with our 34' triple 6k axles. Bumper pull but a goose has similar weight and space.

My open deck it hauls the 4200-5klbs jeeps well but its a deck over. a low boy would load easier. Its 28' deck and 2-7k. Hooked to my toter but i have pulled it x-country twice with my ''03 dodge 2500

Old 12-25-2021, 06:47 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

De Jeeper -

I wish you were right because I'd love to go the steel and 34' route (the money savings would be huge). But, I disagree that steel versus aluminum doesn't save weight. On open, it saves hundreds of pounds. On closed, it saves thousands of pounds. Which makes a big difference on towing and the required tow truck.

Regarding length, I dont think you can get two cars in a 34' trailer can you? We have a 28' ATC. Love it, but adding 6 more feet would not allow for another car. Have to have enough room for strapping down in the front and rear of each car.

OP - I dont have an personal experience with a two car hauler yet. I want one, but havent found the perfect solution yet. But I have researched the crap out of them. Based on that research, here is all the help I can be:

1) How long on the deck? Think you need at least 48' gooseneck to have room to tie down two car. Problem I run into is I cannot find one with an escape door that allows you to get out of the car when loaded. So, you essentially have to winch the cars in.

2) We have a 2500 HD Duramax extended cab.
8’ bed to tow with. Is this doable? Would
prefer aluminum due to weight issues. Sally
would prefer enclosed so who am I to argue? Truck seems to be plenty big, strong and heavy enough to tow a 48' gooseneck. But, stay away from a stacker trailer with a 2500 series. Gotta go with aluminum. Steel at 48' would be thousands of pounds heavier. Enclosed trailers are so much more convenient when it comes to hauling tools, tires, compressor, etc. Plus we use it for shelter from the rain, wind, heat and cold. Nice to keep your cars out of the elements too.

3) Two axle or three? A 48' gooseneck would most likely require triple axle, and that would add some safety and stability to your tow rig as well.

Good luck in your search!

Last edited by 911therapy; 12-25-2021 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-26-2021, 12:33 PM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 168 Posts

We’re thinking of getting a two car gooseneck trailer for our 993 and 951 track cars. A few questions:
1) How long on the deck? Assume you will lose about 6-8 ft of trailer floor space due to the gooseneck. With that in mind you really need to be in the 40+ ft range for a two car hauler.
2) We have a 2500 HD Duramax extended cab
8’ bed to tow with. Assuming the weights are all within the specified limits this could work. Personally though I would prefer a dual rear wheel with a heavy gooseneck sitting on the rear axle. Much more stability, safety, peace of mind.
3) Two axle or three? I think most common would be a 3 x 6k lb axles (18k capacity).
Old 12-26-2021, 05:19 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

My 996 fits on the deck of my totor and the bed is 14'-6" so i should be able to fit 2 in a 34' box. May need e-track tie downs but it should work.

Yes a full alum enclosed will save some weight but u have to look at the economics, where u r towing and the durability when buying. Aluminum trailers come with a very high price tag and see the structures fail much more often then steel decks. The failures r probably less common on a $60k atc but u can get a steel frame, alum box featherlight for $25-30k. That savings buys a lot of fuel at the expense of a weight.

Also if he is towing in the flatlands then the weight wont be much of an issue.

There r always 40' goose and 5th wheels in racingjunk.com
Old 12-27-2021, 08:21 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
My 996 fits on the deck of my totor and the bed is 14'-6" so i should be able to fit 2 in a 34' box. May need e-track tie downs but it should work.

Yes a full alum enclosed will save some weight but u have to look at the economics, where u r towing and the durability when buying. Aluminum trailers come with a very high price tag and see the structures fail much more often then steel decks. The failures r probably less common on a $60k atc but u can get a steel frame, alum box featherlight for $25-30k. That savings buys a lot of fuel at the expense of a weight.

Also if he is towing in the flatlands then the weight wont be much of an issue.

There r always 40' goose and 5th wheels in racingjunk.com
Goosenecks have an 8' "attic". My 28 goose has 20 on the floor. 6' will have the tail of your truck crunching the trailer front.
Old 01-04-2022, 05:47 PM
Dan Jacobs
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

I have had a 40' and 48' Featherlite gooseneck enclosed. I towed both with my 16 Chevy 2500 Duramax short bed
Towed fantastic you didn't even know they were back there at 80
The 40' had 2 axles the 48' has 3 the difference is braking
You're truck will be fine
Old 01-12-2022, 12:35 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

^ What Dan said.

I just sold my Featherlite 44' goose. Two cars plus some wiggle room for gear. 40' is really the minimum length in a goose and two cars will be tight but doable. Depends how much gear you travel with.

A dually is IMHO preferable for lateral stability (wind) but your truck will be fine. Consider running some upgraded rear tires rated specifically for towing heavier loads.

Old 01-12-2022, 03:36 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,028 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Is that one of the trucks from the last Mad Max movie?
Old 01-13-2022, 10:56 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Is that one of the trucks from the last Mad Max movie?

no its much nicer . Since u r in the N.E. u may see it at the track, if u do introduce yourself and ill give u a tour.
Old 01-14-2022, 10:09 AM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 45 Posts

Dejeeper. Nice. Been looking for an LJ for a while to do some Rausch Creek adventures. Something still streetable as a back up vehicle. Any leads?
Old 01-14-2022, 01:02 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,028 Likes on 1,815 Posts

no its much nicer . Since u r in the N.E. u may see it at the track, if u do introduce yourself and ill give u a tour.
Don't get me wrong - it looks cool. It just looks like you could mount an M60 in the bed and it wouldn't look out of place!

Makes my F350 look like a Prius.

Hope to get a tour some day.
Old 01-15-2022, 01:44 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Don't get me wrong - it looks cool. It just looks like you could mount an M60 in the bed and it wouldn't look out of place!

Makes my F350 look like a Prius.

Hope to get a tour some day.
There is a reason that a m60 wouldnt look out of place on it.

The bed is based off the old 5 ton fixed military bed we used to have on it. I have the troop carier sides, bows and canvas carriage cover. One day ill get it all together.

Originally Posted by linzman
Dejeeper. Nice. Been looking for an LJ for a while to do some Rausch Creek adventures. Something still streetable as a back up vehicle. Any leads?
the holey grail of jeeps. Im sure if u want to spend $30k u can buy a piece of crap with rusted out frame rails. Maybe ill see u at rc some day.

Quick Reply: Two car trailer question