Notices

Advice on my WDH setup - Ground clearance issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2021, 05:46 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by nbressette
just a data point for you. My ATC raven is 22" to the bottom of the hitch on the trailer and I have no issues scrapping the bottom of the hitch on anything but the most severe inclines. Even then, the rear tends to scrape first.

its 15" to the bottom of the frame rail on the ATC, 8" wide frame rail and the hitch sits on top, thus 22".
Thanks I will grab measurements this weekend on my trailer. If I recall correctly on my Haulmark it was like 16-17" to the top inside of the hitch receiver on the trailer when level.

Last edited by Nickshu; 10-06-2021 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-06-2021, 09:03 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 268 Posts

Have you tried pulling that trailer with that F250 without the WDH?
I am going to bet that the WDH is unnecessary for this application and your big truck will pull the little trailer NP.
Old 10-06-2021, 10:33 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,328 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz
I am going to bet that the WDH is unnecessary for this application and your big truck will pull the little trailer NP.
I found that my knockoff WDH also controls sway when big RVs and/or 18 wheelers, like the ones your company runs, pass me on the hiway. For someone that doesn't do this for a living, daily basis, a WDH like this is very helpful and comforting.
Old 10-07-2021, 10:20 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Yeah as I said in my first post that is kind of where I am at. With my tongue weight when loaded the back end of the truck squats way more than I would want w/o a WDH. So a regular hitch and airbags may be the next thing to try and see how it handles on the highway and in the crosswinds we get around here pretty much all the time.

I am about 9K-10K fully loaded with the car, tools, extra wheels, etc etc. Should be nothing for an F-250 rated at 20K lbs if I can get the squat under control.
Old 10-07-2021, 10:56 AM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickshu
Yeah as I said in my first post that is kind of where I am at. With my tongue weight when loaded the back end of the truck squats way more than I would want w/o a WDH. So a regular hitch and airbags may be the next thing to try and see how it handles on the highway and in the crosswinds we get around here pretty much all the time.

I am about 9K-10K fully loaded with the car, tools, extra wheels, etc etc. Should be nothing for an F-250 rated at 20K lbs if I can get the squat under control.
Sounds like too much tongue weight. Have you tried moving your car position in the trailer. A 250 should not squat unless the trailer is not loaded properly.
Old 10-07-2021, 11:06 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by linzman
Sounds like too much tongue weight. Have you tried moving your car position in the trailer. A 250 should not squat unless the trailer is not loaded properly.
Yes I have moved things around and it does reduce tongue weight when I have wheels in the back of the trailer. That did not seem to reduce squat much but it drove much better on the highway. I have cabinetry w/ tools and stuff along with a generator cabinet and fuel in the front of the trailer which makes getting weight off the tongue more challenging. Takes quite a bit to offset it. Plus hauling mid-engined cars (SPB and GT4). I guess I could go back to a 911 that would help LOL.

My F-250 has the high capacity tow package option (which means it's an F-350 that says F-250 on it). I agree the amount it squats with what I calculate as about 1200-1400lbs tongue weight is surprising. Well below the max tongue weight rating.

Last edited by Nickshu; 10-07-2021 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-07-2021, 11:49 AM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Yes I have moved things around and it does reduce tongue weight when I have wheels in the back of the trailer. That did not seem to reduce squat much but it drove much better on the highway. I have cabinetry w/ tools and stuff along with a generator cabinet and fuel in the front of the trailer which makes getting weight off the tongue more challenging. Takes quite a bit to offset it. Plus hauling mid-engined cars (SPB and GT4). I guess I could go back to a 911 that would help LOL.

My F-250 has the high capacity tow package option (which means it's an F-350 that says F-250 on it). I agree the amount it squats with what I calculate as about 1200-1400lbs tongue weight is surprising. Well below the max tongue weight rating.
Might want to get an actual tongue weight instead of estimating. I bet it's a lot higher than you think if you have that much squat. I tow with a Titan XD, which is between a 150 and 250, have a 24' enclosed trailer and a front engine car, same wheels, generator and cabinets up front, and my truck does not squat.
The following users liked this post:
Nickshu (10-07-2021)
Old 10-08-2021, 08:58 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
I found that my knockoff WDH also controls sway when big RVs and/or 18 wheelers, like the ones your company runs, pass me on the hiway. For someone that doesn't do this for a living, daily basis, a WDH like this is very helpful and comforting.
Yes, no argument from me! WDH makes a difference in some vehicle/trailer combinations. It has a lot to do with the ratio of the weight of the truck to the total weight, wheel base of the truck to the overall length, and so forth. I have never seen a formula for this, even though we have formulas for everything else. But generally, the smaller the truck is to the trailer the more noticeable difference it makes. I have never owned a WDH in my life as I have always had the luxury of oversizing my personal truck(s) to my trailer. I have seen too many accidents...

I forgot to tell you that I really like the diamond plating on the nose of your trailer, looks very well done. I also need to congratulate you for loading 10K in a 24' trailer given that (I think?) you are pulling a lightweight race car. That tells me that you have that trailer stuffed with other stuff! Most of these trailers only get loaded at most to about 80% which is probably 8K.

Is your truck an FX4? I am told that the FX4 suspension has a softer spring rate in the initial 2" of travel. That maybe the reason for the sag, or you just have too much at the nose?

I DD a '20 F350 SRW/Super Cab/8' and sometimes pull my 26' Aluminum Sundowner car trailer. I cannot even get the back end of my F350 to move down during my tows. (please verify), but the only rear suspension difference between a F350SRW and F250 are spacers and one leaf. This maybe the easiest OEM thing to do to help the back end of your F250.

And yes, I am familiar with your part of the world and the west-east high winds. I have had my guys parked around Cheyenne/I25 due to high winds many times...
Best of luck.

Last edited by Igooz; 10-08-2021 at 09:14 PM.
Old 10-10-2021, 01:49 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Is your truck an FX4? I am told that the FX4 suspension has a softer spring rate in the initial 2" of travel. That maybe the reason for the sag, or you just have too much at the nose?

I DD a '20 F350 SRW/Super Cab/8' and sometimes pull my 26' Aluminum Sundowner car trailer. I cannot even get the back end of my F350 to move down during my tows. (please verify), but the only rear suspension difference between a F350SRW and F250 are spacers and one leaf. This maybe the easiest OEM thing to do to help the back end of your F250.

And yes, I am familiar with your part of the world and the west-east high winds. I have had my guys parked around Cheyenne/I25 due to high winds many times...
Best of luck.
Good point my 2021 is an FX4 yes.

From everything I read the 2020-2022 F-250 with High Capacity Towing Package is identical to the F-350 suspension/frame wise. That was not the case on the 2017-2019 when the 250 was softer even with the high cap tow package. Maybe FX4 makes a difference as I do get about 2" of sag right off the bat, even with the trailer empty.
Old 10-11-2021, 02:21 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 495 Posts

I would highly recommend a tongue weight scale. It's not safe to calculate or estimate your tongue weight.

https://www.sherline.com/product/she...-weight-scale/
Old 10-11-2021, 09:30 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
I would highly recommend a tongue weight scale. It's not safe to calculate or estimate your tongue weight.

https://www.sherline.com/product/she...-weight-scale/
Thanks. I have a Weighsafe hitch but I don't think the scale is working correctly on it.

Is the one you posted only for Gooseneck and 5th wheel trailers?

Last edited by Nickshu; 10-11-2021 at 09:32 PM.
Old 10-11-2021, 11:16 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,328 Likes on 808 Posts

The is also a 2x4 + bathroom scale trick you can use.
Old 10-12-2021, 04:54 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ExMB
The is also a 2x4 + bathroom scale trick you can use.
Does a bathroom scale go that high? My tongue weight with the trailer fully loaded, properly balanced at 10-15%, would be 900-1300 lbs.

Last edited by Nickshu; 10-12-2021 at 06:14 PM.
Old 10-12-2021, 07:52 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Does a bathroom scale go that high? My tongue weight with the trailer fully loaded, properly balanced at 10-15%, would be 900-1300 lbs.
No need.
Name:  photo898.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  481.8 KB
Old 10-14-2021, 08:10 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 495 Posts

Thanks. I have a Weighsafe hitch but I don't think the scale is working correctly on it.

Is the one you posted only for Gooseneck and 5th wheel trailers?
You can use it for both as the top is removable. So much easier than the bathroom scale with the lever set-up.
The following users liked this post:
Nickshu (10-14-2021)

Quick Reply: Advice on my WDH setup - Ground clearance issues