Notices

Intech 24ft - adding backup camera

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2020, 04:18 PM
FastCarSlo
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Intech 24ft - adding backup camera

I have a 24ft Intech aluminum enclosed trailer, which we pull with a Ford F-250, I bought Ford's TPMS and Backup camera accessory pack about 2 years ago when I got the trailer, and now that it is 100 degrees out here in San Diego I've decided I'm a sucker for punishment and should finally try and install it. I am looking for ideas on how to run the wiring -- interior is fully finished and I'd rather not start pulling panels off the wall if there is a better way.

I have two options for camera mounting location -- 1) remove the middle light above the door and mount it there or 2) mount it on the roof. It has a good grommet on the cable so I'm comfortable I can seal the hole on a roof mount but on the back is probably simpler (and more "aero" . I'll have to play with this and see how both look. My challenge is wire routings -- there is a covered area inside the top of the back door where the door springs etc are so I can bring the cable into there and then route to either side of the trailer.

The real challenge is getting the wire to the front of the trailer and down to the bottom -- there is an angled channel running along the wall/roof corner from front to back (on both sides) but it isn't clear if this is hollow all the way and I wasn't able to get my cable fish into it -- I think I will have to remove the door spring cover to do that. I'm hoping someone else has worked through this or has otherwise taken one of these trailers apart.

Intech publishes trailer construction photos but I didn't buy mine from the factory so don't have the access code to see them -- I did reach out to ask, but I'm not sure they pics will be helpful even if I can get them -- seems like they show the framing, and then the finished product.

I'm wishing I'd done a factory order and then I could have spec'd this from the start -- it'll be my 4th mod to this trailer as I added a generator sliding shelf, and relocated the battery to be in floor and added an in-floor winch. Intech was super helpful with those mods and were happy to sell me the parts, I just had to get someone local to do the welding etc -- so it ended up way more expensive than if I'd been able to do it from the factory. Hoping to DIY this camera setup -- both for the satisfaction and to save some money, which I'd rather spend on race tires!

Old 09-11-2020, 03:19 PM
Hoyt
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I've a 26ft Intech trailer that very similar to yours and have been staring at things a little while wondering the best way to wire up a backup camera....so let me know what you come up with

FYI... I did contact Intech a little while ago asking for suggestions. All they would suggest is use something in the rear that can have power all the time. The guy joked saying this is a very common question he gets.
The following users liked this post:
FastCarSlo (09-12-2020)
Old 09-11-2020, 05:40 PM
asamhall
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Guys,
I went through this myself a few years ago myself. I also have an Intech 24'. I went with the rear view safety model, RVS-155W, to avoid having to run the wires down the channel at the top corners of the trailer. I mounted my camera just off center. I did have to remove the cover for the torsion bar for the rear door to get access. The aluminum is thick there. If I had to do it again. I would wire it through the roof. If I stop by my trailer soon I'll get some photos.

The following users liked this post:
FastCarSlo (09-12-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 01:21 AM
FastCarSlo
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

So I got as far as pulling off the torsion bar cover (easy) and removed the lights and fan shroud, also easy. Routing a wire fish through the hollow roof - which I now know is not insulated, explaining what I thought was an air conditioner deficiency - has been less easy, particularly alone. A second set of hands and eyeballs would be helpful. A little more fiddling tomorrow and I show be able to get a fish string from the back all the way into the electrical breaker cabinet. Thankfully there is an extra hole.

next challenge will be to remove the Delphi (I think) connectors from the Ford cable so I can route it through the hole to the back of the electrical panel, where I think I’ll then be able to get it down what I hope is an empty corner channel in the front left of the trailer.

I’ll post pics if I make progress.

I’ve learned three things for my next trailer this week, which some day will be one I’ll order custom (bought this one used).

1) insulation is important
2) get two air conditioners just in case #1 isn’t enough - Cali tracks may as well be in Death Valley
3) install the backup cam during construction

Last edited by FastCarSlo; 09-12-2020 at 01:23 AM.
Old 11-02-2021, 11:51 PM
naparsei
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey, checking in here.

I've got the reverse problem, ironically. I have a 24' Intech with the Ford Backup Camera and TPMS installed on the trailer from the factory.

But I have a DODGE RAM. Any thoughts? If there's something from Ford that I can buy, or the aftermarket, that lets me have a screen in my truck and provides information from the camera and the sensors, I'd love to know about it.

Thanks,
A

Quick Reply: Intech 24ft - adding backup camera