Notices

Cayenne towing a 20' enclosed featherlight?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2021 | 12:05 PM
dapopa9
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rastta
20ft. Featherlite. Audi Q7 TDI. Been towing it for 4 years or so. Not a problem. Inside of trailer has been modified to the usual cabinets, cooler, etc.

What size trailer is this?
Old 04-20-2021 | 12:10 PM
rastta
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dapopa9
What size trailer is this?
20 ft. Here's the inside. I did all the interior additions/modifications. What you can't see if the solar on the roof and the inverter/power convertor in the lower front cabinet. The rear wireless camera is the best mod though. The solar powers three usb/12v outlets I installed, the helmet coolers integrated into the shelf, the monitor and the espresso machine in the upper front cabinet and the winch in the front.

Last edited by rastta; 04-20-2021 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-20-2021 | 10:03 PM
ohenryinatlanta
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

what are the "things" you have the mini ratchets attached to on the walls? (the race ramps for example)

thx
Old 04-20-2021 | 10:13 PM
rastta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ohenryinatlanta
what are the "things" you have the mini ratchets attached to on the walls? (the race ramps for example)

thx
I think they are these or copies of these. Strap track
I used them on both side of the trailer to attach the larger items. Self tapping screws into the trailer.
I also used aluminum "L track" for the other tie downs. They have the little D rings that snap into them. You can see the end of one on the right side at the top of the canopy.
Everything I did in aluminum to save as much weight as possible.

Last edited by rastta; 04-20-2021 at 10:14 PM.
Old 04-21-2021 | 02:02 PM
cabbagerocket
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think they are these or copies of these. Strap track
I used them on both side of the trailer to attach the larger items. Self tapping screws into the trailer.
I also used aluminum "L track" for the other tie downs. They have the little D rings that snap into them. You can see the end of one on the right side at the top of the canopy.
Everything I did in aluminum to save as much weight as possible.
Do you know the total weight of that trailer as it sits now?
Old 04-21-2021 | 02:08 PM
rastta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cabbagerocket
Do you know the total weight of that trailer as it sits now?
Nope - never weighed it. I'd guess probably 3,600 or so.
Old 04-27-2021 | 04:03 AM
dcharnet
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Max permitted tongue weight is an important number. My BMW X7 with air suspension tows 7700 but has a max TW of 600. My trailer is a 20’ ATC. I have determined exactly where my 2900 lb car has to sit to not overload the tongue. I am generally fine as long as I ‘hit the mark.”

Old 04-27-2021 | 09:53 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

DCharnet - How heavy is your ATC?? What is the total weight you pull?
Old 04-27-2021 | 09:55 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

<RASTTA) I think your trailer is 2700 pounds empty? And you are putting it at 3600 with equipment added. (probably about right).
what do you think your tow weight is?
What car and how many tires are you hauling?

/Dan

Nope - never weighed it. I'd guess probably 3,600 or so.

Last edited by dan212; 04-28-2021 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-27-2021 | 11:31 PM
dcharnet
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

My trailer weight is 2400. My '14 Boxster S is 2900. This is a PCA DE car. I carry no rains or spare track tires but of course have a mounted trailer spare. I have a relatively small tool inventory. I travel light, on purpose. My EZ-Up, chairs, cooler and suitcases are in the tow vehicle. And wife!

My subjective experience is that trailer towing is about two things.

One is the ability of the tow vehicle to pull the weight of the trailer and contents, and the contents of the tow vehicle, in a straight line. The most relevant number there to me is the tow capacity of the tow vehicle--7700 lbs for me.

The other is the "tail wagging the dog" issue, which needs no explanation. The variables there are the relationship between tow vehicle weight and trailer/ contents weight, proper trailer load balance, and the footprint of the tow vehicle.

My trailer GVWR is 7700. My trailer and "towed contents" weigh about 5700 according to the expert trailer vendor with whom I have dealt and relied on for years through numerous road racing cars and tow vehicles. He weighed and balanced everything so that the tongue weight remained within spec and the carried weight was properly apportioned.

Then of course there is the weight inside the tow car---400-500.

In a prior life I road raced production cars for years around the Midwest. I had developed a working sense, for me, of the safe relationship between tow car rating and towed weight excluding weight inside the tow vehicle.

My sense has been that depending on the weight and footprint of the tow vehicle, the towed weight MAX should be no more than 3/4 of the tow vehicle rating. 2/3rds is better

BMW tow rating of 7700 x 0.75 =5775. Weight of my trailer and contents is around 5700. Within my spec.

The BMW X7 has a relatively long WB, the factory tow package, big rubber on the ground, adjustable air suspension, built-in anti-sway and very large rotors and calipers. We already owned it. Before deciding on a tow vehicle for my foray into PCA DE after I was forced after a bad crash and surgery to stop road racing, I decided to do some tow testing. I would compare the BMW with my son's F150 rated to tow 10,000 lbs while actually towing the fully-loaded ATC with both vehicles under similar conditions.

Long story short, under load the X7 was no worse than the F-150 for pull-power and for the "tail-being-wagged-by-dog" factor. In fact, the BMW weighed more and might have been better in that respect. And, big bonus, I would be in a BMW and not stuck for long hours in the cab of an F-150.

My trusted trailer vendor approved all this, a big factor in my decision to tow with the BMW. We put the BMW in service as a tow vehicle.

I am starting year 3 of towing the 20 x 8 1/2 ATC and Porsche with the X7. I cruise at 65-70, sometimes more. In a bad cross wind I run around 60-65, worse case 55. I have towed thousands of miles over the years with many different tow vehicles and trailers. This rig feels safe.

This was perhaps too long, but perhaps you need to tell a detailed story--albeit replete with shade-tree mechanic analytics--to properly explore the nuances of this topic; or better, to elicit different opinions. I like Cayennes, but have no specific info about how they might compare with the BMW as a tow vehicle. My sense is that if done properly, the OP could tow with his Cayenne, depending, however, on tow vehicle equipment, total trailer load, and proper balancing and tongue weight.

I must add that BMW, especially the selling dealer, was of no help in analyzing any of this. In fact they gave me lots of bad info. Caveat emptor with Porsche.

Last edited by dcharnet; 04-28-2021 at 11:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
dan212 (04-28-2021)
Old 05-01-2021 | 02:09 AM
RSA964993
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 85 Posts

20 ft. Here's the inside. I did all the interior additions/modifications. What you can't see if the solar on the roof and the inverter/power convertor in the lower front cabinet. The rear wireless camera is the best mod though. The solar powers three usb/12v outlets I installed, the helmet coolers integrated into the shelf, the monitor and the espresso machine in the upper front cabinet and the winch in the front.

Do you have any more pictures of the interior? I have the same trailer and it’s nothing like this. I’ve been wondering how to add storage and this looks great. Thanks.
Old 05-01-2021 | 11:27 AM
rastta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dan212
<RASTTA) I think your trailer is 2700 pounds empty? And you are putting it at 3600 with equipment added. (probably about right).
what do you think your tow weight is?
What car and how many tires are you hauling?

/Dan
Car is a Boxster S. Weighs 2530lbs or so. So I'm figuring I'm under 6k weight. I have a full set of 4 spare wheels and tires.
Old 05-01-2021 | 11:28 AM
rastta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RSA964993
Do you have any more pictures of the interior? I have the same trailer and it’s nothing like this. I’ve been wondering how to add storage and this looks great. Thanks.
See your PM
Old 05-01-2021 | 01:24 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Rastta -

Really like the interior additions you made. Helmet dryer on right is solar powered USB? That is super cool with thought addition of netting.

I am fascinated by those cabinets on the right. That is very clever use of space!! Did you drill them to attach or weld?? HOW HEAVY ARE THEY?? Really, really like them!!

If from a catalog, can you point us at what you used??
Old 05-01-2021 | 02:03 PM
rastta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dan212
Rastta -

Really like the interior additions you made. Helmet dryer on right is solar powered USB? That is super cool with thought addition of netting.

I am fascinated by those cabinets on the right. That is very clever use of space!! Did you drill them to attach or weld?? HOW HEAVY ARE THEY?? Really, really like them!!

If from a catalog, can you point us at what you used??
Thanks! The Helmet Dryer and everything else in the trailer is powered by the battery and inverter which is both AC and DC. I drilled a hole in the holder, and installed 12V computer fans. Thing works like a charm. It's connected into the wiring I placed along the top, which also serves the plug/usb outlets I installed.

Everything in there was bought online from a variety of places. The cabinets front and rear were attached with self tapping screws to the frame, but additional L brackets were attached at the top and bottom. They are really light and I don't have heavy stuff in them. They are from Pit Posse. I added lightweight risers to hold them open. I made the winch mount based upon the Trailerex mount, as they sent me the specs. It's attached with an aluminum plate which is under the floor and secured between the two I-beams below the trailer. The whole solar system was installed because I needed to power it.

I also bought stuff from Pit Products. The tire rack is from them. I made some aluminum brackets that bolt through the frame to attach it.

The front cabinet is actually a rolling cart that I simply didn't attach the wheels to, but it was the right width. I bolted the tool chest to the top. The inverter and fuse panel are part of it. It also has an outside plug so everything can be run from shore power as well as charge the battery. The panel has separate fuses for AC and DC as it was made for an RV.

Quick Reply: Cayenne towing a 20' enclosed featherlight?