Notices

ATC 250 & Escape Door Clearence

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2020 | 01:27 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 352 Posts
Default ATC 250 & Escape Door Clearence

There will be the case with some very low cars where the driver door cannot be fully opened over the trailer wheels when the Escape Door is opened. Race Ramps (See URL below) makes a set of ramps the when place under the wheels will raise the car an additional 3". You might just need them for the front wheels of your car, giving you that extra needed clearance. Yes, your cart will be tilted upward with that 3" of extra lift, by at least you can get the driver door opened for easy egress. Cost about $150.

https://www.raceramps.com/garage-ser...trailer-mates/
Old 05-24-2020 | 09:35 PM
Finlander
Rennlist Member

Received 395 Likes on 150 Posts

What is the height of the trailer wheels from the floor?
Old 06-27-2020 | 09:04 AM
Raider89
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

If you have torsion axles, it varies when trailer is loaded/unloaded. I dont have exact measurements, but likely 7.5" up to 8.5". My car door will not open with low tire pressures on the car itself. So, I have similar setup (not race ramps) with 1" blocks which my front tires sit on upon loading to clear my driver's door.
The following users liked this post:
Finlander (06-28-2020)
Old 07-01-2020 | 07:21 AM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 107 Posts

If you were ordering a brand new trailer - wouldn't you check your door for opening height before buying?
Old 07-01-2020 | 02:49 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 352 Posts
Default Only...

...if everything were only that simple. One could easily assume that an open driver door would clear...truly a mistake if it doesn't but in the emotional climate of spending $$$ on a trailer....also, very few trailers have a so called "Escape Door". Sometimes a fix can be as simple as loading the car onto the trailer with more air in the tires. Or, as mentioned above, a small mini-ramp can cure the problem.

The blessing of having an escape door when loading or unloading, or having the door open on a hot day between sessions....worth any inconvenience one may encounter. The driver door on \my 2015 Cayman GTS with Sport Suspension clears, but it's a close fit.

Now all I have now to do is ruminate about getting to the track in August...July is out due to vacation. plans....Laguna Seca...here are a few vanity shot for your viewing pleasure. Sorry I can't help myself when it comes to showing off the best all-around Porsche car I have ever owned, a 2015 Cayman GTS.

up to 5 days in August and September.
Old 07-01-2020 | 04:21 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 177mph
If you were ordering a brand new trailer - wouldn't you check your door for opening height before buying?
If your car's door is too low to clear the tires, the only "fix" you could do at manufacturing would be to raise the entire trailer higher above its axles which is a nasty compromise for fuel economy, loading angle, etc. A ramp inside or some way of elevating the car versus the top of the trailer tires is the only fix and would be the same regardless of manufacturer. So not really much point is checking this before ordering...
-Mark
Old 07-02-2020 | 09:02 AM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by lowside67
If your car's door is too low to clear the tires, the only "fix" you could do at manufacturing would be to raise the entire trailer higher above its axles which is a nasty compromise for fuel economy, loading angle, etc. A ramp inside or some way of elevating the car versus the top of the trailer tires is the only fix and would be the same regardless of manufacturer. So not really much point is checking this before ordering...
-Mark
Sorry - i cant disagree more. You know the height of your cars door above the ground. You measure that and speak to the trailer sales person about the height of the escape door opening. When you custom order a trailer - many changes and adjustments are possible. Its just bad planning.

Quick Reply: ATC 250 & Escape Door Clearence