Notices

U-Haul Trailer Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2022, 12:07 PM
Niez66
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 70 Posts
Default These trailers work great

Only took about one hour to build my ramps and get the car properly secured. In the future, since the ramps are built, you’d be done in 20 minutes.

Old 06-12-2022, 10:08 PM
steveP911
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 230 Posts

I have a 2005 997.1 C2S and have now towed it twice with a UHaul auto transport trailer. No problems.
  • I have done what most others have and employed a set of 2X12's up front with mitered edges to lift the front over the trailer front stops. I used a double thickness up at the stop and a single thickness rear of that for a more gradual entry.
  • I load the car front first and I did buy a tongue weight scale to check the load there. Came in at about 500 lbs, which is safely under the 750 lb limit for my tow vehicle and hitch/ball.
  • The stated height of the UHaul hitch point is 18-1/2" so I got the appropriate drop in my Curt hitch mount to match that. I had read that a 1" "sag" when loaded is about right, and that is what I got.
  • I have had no sway issues while driving hills and valleys through PA.
  • I spent the $ and bought some RaceRamps (6X48) to have a little less weight to handle. If you do, make sure you set some 1" wood onto the ledge so the UHaul ramp points do not damage the RaceRamp.
  • I think the UHaul front straps work fine, but be sure to check them out as I have seen some ragged sets.
  • I bought some Mac's axle straps and covers, with a couple ratchet sets to secure the rear wheels. I only secure them with a light tension.
  • Agree with others that these trailers are heavy but built like a tank. If you can tow their weight, I see no problem with them. But I would also check out the tire condition and pressures. They should be inflated at 60-65 psi. I bring my gauge and verify myself and then ask their folks to top them off as needed.
So I am pretty happy with this arrangement, which suits me well since I don't have room to store a trailer. And now I don't have to jam all my stuff (which grows every event, I think) into my little 911. Much more at ease not worrying about getting home anymore. Love the mileage savings on my 17 year old car.

My two cents.
Steve
Old 10-30-2023, 11:41 AM
jm1stpcar
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steveP911
  • I bought some Mac's axle straps and covers, with a couple ratchet sets to secure the rear wheels. I only secure them with a light tension

I’m looking to tow a 997 on a Uhaul and want to secure the rear. How did you attach the ratchet straps to the trailer? Thanks!
Old 10-30-2023, 01:11 PM
thedude14
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jm1stpcar

I’m looking to tow a 997 on a Uhaul and want to secure the rear. How did you attach the ratchet straps to the trailer? Thanks!
There are D rings in the rear on the inside of both of the wheel tracks.

Quick Reply: U-Haul Trailer Question