Notices

Anyone towing a 24ft enclosed with a midsize SUV (Cayenne Diesel for example)?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 11:43 PM
tneocli
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 39 Posts

Just purchased a 20ft vnose ATC and plan to tow my stripped out cayman s with a 2016 Cayenne diesel. Using a weigh safe hitch to keep an eye on the tongue weight. I’m assuming I’ll be somewhere around 6500lbs loaded with all my gear? Usually towing 100-200 miles in distance so don’t suspect I’ll have any issues. If my track days get more serious might pick up a ram.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:45 AM
Klepper
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 138 Posts

I used my Cayenne Diesel and I towed my Cayman S in a 24ft ATC aluminum trailer CH205. Fully loaded it was right at 7,000 lbs. I used a tongue scale to get it loaded properly right up to the 770# max tongue weight.

My experience was that the Cayenne towed it great with no issues at all. I sold the Cayenne and now use an F-150.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:57 PM
tvr-4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great responses all around!

I spent a long weekend towing a UHaul with a SP3 951 to three tracks and covering around 1,000 miles...

I know I’ll get laughed at for saying this, but I loved the no hassle / easy load & unload with the U haul, no storage hassles, and getting 21MPG towing.

Net, I think I’ll stick with NO trailer for now and just spend a couple of hundred $ on U-Haul when I need to tow.

Once ready (if ever) to do 8-10 events per year, I’ll look back into enclosed so the info here is really helpful.

Thanks to all, TK
Old 10-08-2019, 12:13 PM
LandShark
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi TK,

Could you give me/us more detail of your towing of a Uhaul car transporter? I'm having a 3 days VIR weekend in early November, and been thinking to rent a Uhaul transporter and use my wife's 16' Cayenne E-hybird (which I retrofit the hitch and a 7 pins wiring) to tow the GT3 to VIR, about 4.5hr one way drive instead of drive the car down there. Any advise with Uhual transporter would be greatly appreciated. (PM is fine if you don't want to go too off topic in this thread)

Gary
Originally Posted by tvr-4
Great responses all around!

I spent a long weekend towing a UHaul with a SP3 951 to three tracks and covering around 1,000 miles...

I know I’ll get laughed at for saying this, but I loved the no hassle / easy load & unload with the U haul, no storage hassles, and getting 21MPG towing.

Net, I think I’ll stick with NO trailer for now and just spend a couple of hundred $ on U-Haul when I need to tow.

Once ready (if ever) to do 8-10 events per year, I’ll look back into enclosed so the info here is really helpful.

Thanks to all, TK
The following users liked this post:
Janton9736 (11-09-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 12:50 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LandShark
Hi TK,

Could you give me/us more detail of your towing of a Uhaul car transporter? I'm having a 3 days VIR weekend in early November, and been thinking to rent a Uhaul transporter and use my wife's 16' Cayenne E-hybird (which I retrofit the hitch and a 7 pins wiring) to tow the GT3 to VIR, about 4.5hr one way drive instead of drive the car down there. Any advise with Uhual transporter would be greatly appreciated. (PM is fine if you don't want to go too off topic in this thread)

Gary

Your GT3 will most likely be way too wide for any U-haul trailer.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:04 PM
gerryros
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by LandShark
Hi TK,

Gary
Potentially doable but I would not recommend it, especially for your GT3 even if the transporter is wide enough. I did it a couple of times for my 997.1 S, it was an ok solution at the time, I have since slid down the slippery slope and own a 24' enclosed aluminum trailer with AC etc for my GT3. One of the main issues with the Uhaul transporter is the very front of the trailer deck. They are designed such that when you load, you ideally pull your front tires all the way to the front of the trailer against the wheel stops; the nose of your loaded car actually hangs over the back of the trailer tongue, not the trailer deck. With the front tires resting against the transporter wheel stops, the tire straps (you drove over to load) would then loop around from behind the front tires going over the top of your car tires and into the strap ratchet on the trailer below the wheel stops. The chin of my lowered 997.1 (no splitter) would not clear the front edge / wheel stops of the transporter - so your GT3 splitter definitely will not. The options are driving the front tires on to boards so your nose / splitter clears that front trailer edge (I used 2 stacked 4x6s--but that involved setting up a ramp/staggered length boards ON the trailer deck) or not pulling all the way up to the front. In the case of the latter this renders the transporter wheel straps useless. You could use your own ratchet straps to secure the front of your car, but there's not a ton of room to work and the available D-rings to attach to left my straps at odd angles. I have seen people back their cars (not a GT3 though) on to U-Haul transporters. Even if your rear cleared the front edge of the transporter your rear tires would be too wide for the transporter straps to be effective. And you would still need a set of race ramps or boards to use with the transporter ramps to get on and off the transporter.
Old 10-14-2019, 01:23 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Assuming you have a place temporarily for a trailer -- buy a good used one, use it, then sell it.

Mike
Old 10-14-2019, 01:25 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by tvr-4
Heard of folks towing 20ft trailers, and while somewhat choppy, its doable.

How much more of an issue would be to run a 24 footer, provided that the tow capacity and tongue weight aren't an issue?

Not sure i'd do this, but was curious to ask a question given search didnt turn up anything useful.

Thanks, TK
I tow a 24' Montrose all aluminum behind my 2008 Cayenne Twin Turbo. Other than gas mileage -- and panic stops (which the CTT does ok with) I don't know its back there.
The Montrose has a 6' interior, but does have a sloping front.

Mike
Old 10-18-2019, 12:25 AM
tvr-4
Instructor

Originally Posted by gerryros
Potentially doable but I would not recommend it, especially for your GT3 even if the transporter is wide enough. I did it a couple of times for my 997.1 S, it was an ok solution at the time, I have since slid down the slippery slope and own a 24' enclosed aluminum trailer with AC etc for my GT3. One of the main issues with the Uhaul transporter is the very front of the trailer deck. They are designed such that when you load, you ideally pull your front tires all the way to the front of the trailer against the wheel stops; the nose of your loaded car actually hangs over the back of the trailer tongue, not the trailer deck. With the front tires resting against the transporter wheel stops, the tire straps (you drove over to load) would then loop around from behind the front tires going over the top of your car tires and into the strap ratchet on the trailer below the wheel stops. The chin of my lowered 997.1 (no splitter) would not clear the front edge / wheel stops of the transporter - so your GT3 splitter definitely will not. The options are driving the front tires on to boards so your nose / splitter clears that front trailer edge (I used 2 stacked 4x6s--but that involved setting up a ramp/staggered length boards ON the trailer deck) or not pulling all the way up to the front. In the case of the latter this renders the transporter wheel straps useless. You could use your own ratchet straps to secure the front of your car, but there's not a ton of room to work and the available D-rings to attach to left my straps at odd angles. I have seen people back their cars (not a GT3 though) on to U-Haul transporters. Even if your rear cleared the front edge of the transporter your rear tires would be too wide for the transporter straps to be effective. And you would still need a set of race ramps or boards to use with the transporter ramps to get on and off the transporter.
Sorry for the delay - I can’t speak to whether the car fits but that’s an easy determinations. In terms of the experience, my car is very low to the ground so to handle the two points mentioned above, 1) I used two staggered length 2x6s to pull the front tires all the way up to the wheel stops. If tongue weight is an issue, which it should not be for your car, you can get 4” of rear movement by reversing the wheel stop plates on the trailer to face backwards vs forwards. In terms of load/unload, I used a couple of low-cost “oil change ramps” to back the rear wheels of the SUV onto, which provided an angle for the trailer that made the process super easy. My load/unloads were 15-20mins all in.

i ended up using the standard Uhaul wheel straps and had zero problems with them. No multiple ratchet straps and climbing under the car. Pulled over after 20-30mins of driving to retighten than continued on a 3-5hr trip with no other adjustments.

Send me a PM with your phone number if you want to chat, or I can send you mine.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:26 AM
tvr-4
Instructor

Originally Posted by txhokie4life
I tow a 24' Montrose all aluminum behind my 2008 Cayenne Twin Turbo. Other than gas mileage -- and panic stops (which the CTT does ok with) I don't know its back there.
The Montrose has a 6' interior, but does have a sloping front.

Mike
Thx Mike - good to see that while not the most popular way to go, there are a number of examples of folks doing this safely and with no major issues.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:16 PM
booch
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

I've been towing a 24ft ATC enclosed behind a Cayenne diesel (steel suspension) for 4 years. It's not a problem, but it is sensitive to tongue weight. Once that is dialed in, it tows fine. I don't have a weight distributing hitch but I plan to add one to reduce the droop. If I don't drive too fast, I will average 11-12mpg on most trips. Speeds above 70 drop economy closer to 10mpg.

I use a Prodigy RF brake controller, and with the 4 electric brakes on the trailer, stopping is good.

Front brake pads went to 92k, rears went to 152k, and I would estimate that I've towed 10k miles.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:20 PM
Janton9736
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Is there a sticky somewhere I may have missed with an introduction to using trailers and tor vehicles?

Jeff
Old 12-12-2019, 02:51 AM
atafro888
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I tow a 20 ft open with a '13 Cayenne diesel, it tows like nothing is even behind you. My dad tows a 22ft enclosed with a '16 Cayenne Turbo. He used to tow with a long wheelbase Escalade. He swears the Cayenne Turbo tows better and like a dream. The air suspension is key, makes your tow vehicle level and then you just have to adjust you hitch so your trailer is level..... If towing a enclosed I recommend a Turbo for towing. Porsche kept the 8 speed ZF trans in the Turbo and Turbo S for better towing, unlike the GTS which has a dual clutch. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Anyone towing a 24ft enclosed with a midsize SUV (Cayenne Diesel for example)?