Notices

What do you fill your trailer with for HPDE?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 07:30 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

My racing days are long gone and I've been doing DEs for 11 years. Started towing 6 years ago when I realized I was running events at tracks where no locals to me could tow me home if I had a problem which would make my car undrivable. Went with a Trailex open trailer with a toolbox which stores my track jack and tie downs. Everything else goes in my Jeep tow vehicle. I store my trailer under some Pine trees and move it to the drive with my lawn tractor. I equipped the trailer with a winch which simplifies loading.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:58 AM
YaNi
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

At the very least I would carry a couple liters of all fluids, especially some fresh brake fluid. A small tool box, torque wrench, pressure gauge, and an extra set of brake pads should do it as a minimum.
Then add rain tires and some fuel jugs. The rain tires will require a jack and jack stands, and you see you're already on the slippery slope. The fuel jugs are really nice addition.
I've slowly started accumulating spare parts in the trailer, but I force myself to only carry what is reasonable to change at the track. I don't want to waste a couple vacation days, entry fees, and travel costs/time because of some simple part, which I can't find locally in BFE. But at the same time I'm just going to pack up and go home if I were to blow an engine/trans or wad the car up. Calipers, wheel bearings, control arms, etc. are all parts I can change without any special tools in the paddock in an hour or so.

I do agree that if you thoroughly prep your car that you *shouldn't* need much to get through a weekend. You can to some extent, consider the needs of the many, when carrying spares. It's pretty common in the race groups for someone to break something random and usually someone in the paddock has a spare, which he can buy or barter for.

I've tried to offset the cost of buying an enclosed trailer by camping at the track. Also I'd consider an enclosed trailer simply for inclement weather. I was at Mid Ohio in May for the monsoon and all your gear was soaked unless you had either packed it up in a hurry or had an enclosed trailer. Every popup canopy that was left up was completely destroyed. We sat in the trailer watching the carnage, while everyone with an open trailer mooched off their neighbors or sat in their tow rig/car.

The enclosed trailer doesn't really take up much more space than an open and the only drawbacks are initial cost and fuel economy towing.
Old 08-28-2019, 09:03 AM
mjdcolo
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts

I started looking at ATC trailers, 24’. I was at Indy a few weeks go, and sitting in my instructor’s trailer made me realize that is what I need. At Indy they give you a garage, but at other places you have to pay for it. He had a large TV screen to view our track data on. Plus a coffee machine, and a pull down couch. The side escape door created an open trailer with a nice breeze - didn’t need AC. In addition, had a tent to park the car under.

The ability to relax after your session is what I’m looking for. That convinced me I’m getting an enclosed 24-footer in the Spring. I’ll suffer through Mid Ohio this last time (got a garage), but no more.

The option list is growing ��! But in the end I’ll have a trailer that will be with me for years to come.

Last edited by mjdcolo; 08-28-2019 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:59 AM
tc944
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mjdcolo
I started looking at ATC trailers, 24’. I was at Indy a few weeks go, and sitting in my instructor’s trailer made me realize that is what I need. At Indy they give you a garage, but at other places you have to pay for it. He had a large TV screen to view our track data on. Plus a coffee machine, and a pull down couch. The side escape door created an open trailer with a nice breeze - didn’t need AC. In addition, had a tent to park the car under.

The ability to relax after your session is what I’m looking for. That convinced me I’m getting an enclosed 24-footer in the Spring. I’ll suffer through Mid Ohio this last time (got a garage), but no more.

The option list is growing ��! But in the end I’ll have a trailer that will be with me for years to come.
I was at Indy also, what an amazing opportunity.

The one suggestion I would make would be an awning mounted to the side of your enclosed trailer. I use it way more than I thought I would (pretty much every event). Really helps beat the heat and the rain.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:28 PM
Mr. Turtles
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by mjdcolo

Sounds like a great plan. I have a pretty basic setup and love it, only 20ft which is a little small, a 24ft would be perfect, and still reasonable to tow. I carry an extra set of wheels in the trailer and have a winch just in case. My second set goes in the truck bed. A few tools, torque wrench and cleaning supplies go in a box that can put in the trailer or truck and keep at home (trailer offsite). You don't need much with a newer car. I'm putting in a small air compressor that should strap to the inside against a wall.

As you mentioned it saves miles on the car and I hated driving home on beat up track tires in the rain and now can use designated track wheels and tires. No worries about breaking down at the track, cording tires, etc. Travelling 4+ hours is a lot more comfortable in my pick up. Get the escape door, I really wish I had one.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:15 PM
R717
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

DE or race, I really love my enclosed when I get home late Sunday and can just park it and go shower. Everything stays dry and safe until I get time after work to unload and cleanup.
Old 12-26-2019, 04:19 PM
Slow RSA
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Another big deciding factor is family. My wife/kids are as supportive as it gets, but we finally had enough with the open trailer on long hauls. I jumped on a 24' ATC about a month after Labor Day weekend at Road America. The enclosed trailer will allow us to park in a hotel with everything locked up safely when the open trailer didn't.

+1 With the rain comment and delayed unloading. With an open trailer you are forced to unload right away when you get home. If it rains on your way home, you'll have twice the effort: once to dry everything out that got wet, then load it all back in the garage where it belongs.

Quick Reply: What do you fill your trailer with for HPDE?