Notices

New to me truck, should I upgrade...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 04:29 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default New to me truck, should I upgrade...

I'm about to acquire a 2016 F150-V8 for a very good price. My old Tundra with 4.7 was solid and towed my heavy open trailer okay, until it hit mountains, but I also know it would not handle towing an enclosed trailer. The F150 should serve me better as a daily driver and tow vehicle. I just wouldn't want to drive a 250 daily. Anyhow, the truck only has 13K on it, so tires and pads have plenty of life in them. However, they are passenger tires and the standard Ford pads. Would it be wise, to replace the tires with D-E rated tires and the pads with something like Hawk LTS? I know D rated took a lot of slop out of Tundra when I switched and the LTS added some confidence, but I waited until those needed to be replaced. Now I'm looking back from that side and wondering if I should replace these things.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:33 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

The tow rating for the truck (presumably) vastly exceeds what you are going to tow and that rating is with the brake pads and tires installed currently. I think it is a waste of money to throw out perfectly good consumables to replace them with marginally better ones when there is already such a margin of overkill in the truck itself.

-Mark
Old 07-18-2019, 09:40 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I have always added the hawk brake pads to my tow vehicles, well worth it. And there is no reason to throw out the stock pads, put them on the shelf and re-install them when you get rid of the truck.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:57 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I may do the brake pads, as they are not expensive. Half what my race pads cost and last much longer. Wasn't too keen on doing the tires though, since those are a good bit of coin, which could go toward racing. Proper tires do add to the stability of the truck though, both when towing and not. My trailer comes in around 5250-lbs when loaded and the bed and cab will be packed with spares & tools. Always, keeping my eye open for that special deal on an enclosed trailer.
Old 07-20-2019, 02:10 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 97 Posts

Check he date in those OEM tires. The tread may have plenty of life but they need to be replaced after a number of years ( 4 is max for me) if that's a 2016 the tires may be 2015. Check the date on the tires

Quick Reply: New to me truck, should I upgrade...