Notices

Trailex Tires Rubbing!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 04:46 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Trailex Tires Rubbing!?

I own a 2014 Trailex enclosed. I bought it new. It probably sees around 15K miles/year in towing service. I have not had any problems with it. However, I dropped the trailer at a large trailer dealer near my race shop in Connecticut a few days ago for their annual service and they called me to report a problem. Their service doesn't really amount to much on those trailers. What I like them to do, more than anything else, is remove, clean and repack all of the bearings. When they removed the wheels they found a large amount of rubber from the tires on the inner wheel wells. They also noticed that the tires themselves show signs of damage from the rubbing.

This is the first I have heard of this problem. I am using the factory supplied aluminum wheels with a fairly new set of the new Goodyear ST205/75R-14 Endurance tires, same as Trailex is now supplying that were installed in April of 2017.

The service manager at the trailer shop was alarmed at what they saw. I called Trailex right away and spoke with Carl. His response was: "oh yeah, they all do that". He went on to explain that the clearances are very tight on that trailer and the rubbing only occurs when the trailer is making tight turns. This makes sense to me. For those of you who have seen what your trailer tires do when you are turning your tow vehicle wheels hard to move the trailer around a tight corner, the front and rear trailer wheels bow in and out. It looks a little scary. This, Carl said, is by design and that's when the rubbing occurs, not when the trailer is cruising down the highway.

You don't hear about many Trailex trailer tire blowouts. But this leaves me wondering if this rubbing could be a cause. The service manager was concerned about the damage he saw on the inside of all four tires.

My car is in for service now and it won't be ready to be picked up for a couple of weeks. I'll have to wait until I get the trailer home to pull a wheel off and look at it myself.

Anybody else have any knowledge or experience with this problem??
Old 10-17-2018, 05:05 PM
rnh204
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the same issue on mine, an enclosed 2013. I do see the rubbing when I back into my driveway. I feel Carl at trailex is honest. I would suggest looking at tires yourself since they're only a year old at this point and make a decision from that.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:04 PM
Notenoughtoys
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

A friend of mine had the same problem but worse rubbing. He bumped a curb and the whole axle moved over. They ending up putting washers on the lug like wheel spacer to get some clearance even after recentering the axle. After your post, I need to look at my trailex.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:39 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 815 Likes on 467 Posts

Hmm I just scratched Trailex off my trailer list. Rubbing of any sort is unacceptable IMHO.

Peter
Old 10-19-2018, 10:56 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,378 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Hmm I just scratched Trailex off my trailer list. Rubbing of any sort is unacceptable IMHO.

Peter
Especially if one knows and continues to sell to the public and doesn't inform them
Old 10-23-2018, 12:43 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 892 Likes on 546 Posts

My rear tires rub on extremely tight turns in my driveway. No damage on the tires whatsoever and I don't think it's a big deal.

Quick Reply: Trailex Tires Rubbing!?