Notices

Futura Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 12:38 PM
MrNoXiDe
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Old message but based on a recommendation I bought the 40" x 8 long Mac Tie Down Straps. I know you've discovered that 5ft or even 4ft would be ideal. After reading this, I got concerned... but relieved when I discovered why my buddy suggested the length that I bought.

Ideally, you should be crossing you straps to prevent the vehicle that is on the trailer from swaying/moving. That's why the 8 ft is perfect in this regard.

Old 05-09-2024, 01:29 PM
ramans
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

There's a lot of arguments around crossing or not and it seems each camp has their own opinions on this.

I'm not crossing at the moment but I have the Mac's straps and put them through the wheels. I'm tying down to a futura trailer which has airline track along the side. I tie the car down and after about 30 minutes of driving I pull over and all 4 straps are loose. just like one click more on each ratchet. I've checked that I've got enough wraps around the ratchet and not too many. All I can figure is the wheels must be slightly rotating, there's no way the car could slide such that all four can go from tight to loose. Anyone have other thoughts on this? It happens everytime I tow. And I can't just do a stop or too and pull of and fix them, I have to drive a bit.

On the Weigh-Safes I was a little curious how accurate they might be so I stuck my hitch on top of a digital scale used for corner balancing and stuck them both in a hydraulic press. Zero'd the scale and then started pressing down on the ball, The weight on the scale and the weight shown by the Weigh Safe were pretty well aligned (with as much accuracy as you can get out of that dial) so I'm reasonably confident they're a good weight. With my old Trailex and a 2" ball the weighsafe never showed anything at all, when I got the futura and switched to the weighsafe with the bigger ball it shows what I think is likely good weights, and if I stand on top of the tounge on top of the ball I see around a 200lb increase.

Currently I have a GT4 that I tow, I have the tyre rack and the shield on the trailer, I load it on forwards with the spoiler about an inch from four fuel jugs I have on the front (so 144 lbs loaded (6 gallons x 6 lbs/gal x 4) plus around 100 for the rack and 200 for the trailers on it. I'm seeing around 400-450 toungeweight dropping to around 350 on the way home and it tows just fine with a ford ranger, no swaying at all.

Last edited by ramans; 05-09-2024 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-09-2024, 02:28 PM
Glyndellis
Pro

Received 178 Likes on 110 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by ramans
it tows just fine with a ford ranger, no swaying at all.
This statement counts as blasphemy on Rennlist - you're supposed to say that nothing is safe unless you have an F-350..........
The following users liked this post:
dan212 (05-09-2024)
Old 05-26-2024, 02:52 PM
Wags911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a lot of arguments around crossing or not and it seems each camp has their own opinions on this.

I'm not crossing at the moment but I have the Mac's straps and put them through the wheels. I'm tying down to a futura trailer which has airline track along the side. I tie the car down and after about 30 minutes of driving I pull over and all 4 straps are loose. just like one click more on each ratchet. I've checked that I've got enough wraps around the ratchet and not too many. All I can figure is the wheels must be slightly rotating, there's no way the car could slide such that all four can go from tight to loose. Anyone have other thoughts on this? It happens everytime I tow. And I can't just do a stop or too and pull of and fix them, I have to drive a bit.

On the Weigh-Safes I was a little curious how accurate they might be so I stuck my hitch on top of a digital scale used for corner balancing and stuck them both in a hydraulic press. Zero'd the scale and then started pressing down on the ball, The weight on the scale and the weight shown by the Weigh Safe were pretty well aligned (with as much accuracy as you can get out of that dial) so I'm reasonably confident they're a good weight. With my old Trailex and a 2" ball the weighsafe never showed anything at all, when I got the futura and switched to the weighsafe with the bigger ball it shows what I think is likely good weights, and if I stand on top of the tounge on top of the ball I see around a 200lb increase.

Currently I have a GT4 that I tow, I have the tyre rack and the shield on the trailer, I load it on forwards with the spoiler about an inch from four fuel jugs I have on the front (so 144 lbs loaded (6 gallons x 6 lbs/gal x 4) plus around 100 for the rack and 200 for the trailers on it. I'm seeing around 400-450 toungeweight dropping to around 350 on the way home and it tows just fine with a ford ranger, no swaying at all.
I’ve noticed the same. My guess would be tire pressures. Depending on how quickly you load the car after it comes off the track, you could be losing 6+ lbs of pressure and that could explain the slack that appears 30 minutes later.
Old 05-27-2024, 02:27 PM
amurph182
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 60 Posts

I load it on forwards with the spoiler about an inch from four fuel jugs I have on the front (so 144 lbs loaded (6 gallons x 6 lbs/gal x 4) plus around 100 for the rack and 200 for the trailers on it. I'm seeing around 400-450 toungeweight dropping to around 350 on the way home and it tows just fine with a ford ranger, no swaying at all.
how are you securing your fuel jugs on the Futura? I’ve been trying to figure something out that isn’t in the way when securing the car
Old 05-29-2024, 07:21 PM
nineball
Pro

Received 346 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by amurph182
how are you securing your fuel jugs on the Futura? I’ve been trying to figure something out that isn’t in the way when securing the car
i just got done with that debate myself and found two solutions i found acceptable.

1. two dual jug holders bolted to the sides of the frame in the front triangle.

i did not go this route because i bought a 4 jug aluminum rack which ended up having some coating on it. the plan was to split in half and weld in ends but due to the coating i decided not to. this is what i bought:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ptm-431

2. bought a bunch of these and plan on using three of them to secure the rack to the trailer:

https://www.uscargocontrol.com/produ...34625da8fc%2F0

Last edited by nineball; 05-29-2024 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-05-2024, 08:22 PM
amurph182
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 60 Posts

Where will you put it? Front end of trailer?
Old 06-06-2024, 11:37 AM
nineball
Pro

Received 346 Likes on 237 Posts

yep, under the tire rack in the front left (driver) corner.
Old 06-11-2024, 08:15 AM
Kheires
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Does anyone know when (month/year) futura came out with the newer version (which I think is wider)?

Quick Reply: Futura Trailer