Notices

Futura Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 08:40 PM
VID997
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the tips/suggestions. RE: Race ramps, even with extra long two pice ramps, I still need a 2’ x 2”x6” approach board. Bottom of my splitter is 65mm off the deck, and from the nose to first contact point on the wheel is 38”. I also have a rear diffuser. If I cannot drive on without scraping, I DEFINITELY not drive off (forward) without scraping.

Will be trying some new tricks early next week and will report back.

Best,
VID

Old 03-28-2019, 11:45 PM
JR1946
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi there,

I just picked up a 2019 Futura Supercar trailer. Did a dry run/load yesterday evening. Driving the car on forward, I have essentially zero tongue weight. I should have close to 450lbs (GTW=1300lb for the trailer + 3057lb for my vehicle, yielding ~10% tongue weight = 440lb). Are you guys backing on or driving forward. Have you checked / verified your tongue, if so, what are you reporting?

Also, I still needed wooden ramps to get on without scraping my front splitter. WCC recommend loading with the trailer not attached to my tow vehicle and lowering the dolly wheel all the way down, claiming I should be able drive on without any ramps. Have any of you attempted loading with the trailer not attached to a vehicle?

Many thanks in advance for your input.
Best,
VID997
VIDD997, Sorry, I have not measured the tongue weight yet because of refinements I have been doing to the trailer that will affect the final tongue weight.

I am preparing for a road trip April 10 and plan check the actual tongue weight at that time (Will send PM to you then). I am not overly concerned about the "10% tongue weight recommendation" because I am towing the 4,600 lbs. trailer with a 32,000 lbs. GVWR coach. I have done test tows behind my coach already at a range of speeds and conditions, just before starting to fabricate my refinements to the trailer and it seam to tow very well without any issues.

I have read that some Futura customers load 911s backward for better handling when tow with lightweight tow vehicles.

I do think my the tongue weight is much higher than you noted because I have loaded my 911 GTS on the trailer in my garage and I recall needing a floor-jack to lift the trailer tongue.

My GTS rolls on and off the trailer without nose clearance issues when connected to my coach with a 15” hitch height.

My 991.2 GTS Couple has the PASM sport suspension option (which is 20mm lower than standard) but that would be much higher ground clearance than your 997. At 73 I love not having to mess with ramps … but with your low track car a couple custom short aluminum ramps my be the best solution.

I considered buying the the Supercar trailer for the extra width it provided with the trailer side rails mounted down lower … but I determined the actual car deck height and angle is the same for loading on both the Tandem Axle and the Supercar trailers.

As mentioned, I have loaded the car on and off the trailer in my garage in the course of working on it without having the trailer connected to a vehicle. Used the recover winch and it was all accomplished without damage … the trailer moved around more than I liked so I will likely not be doing that again with my $150,000 GTS! Key here is in my normal travel use scenarios ... I would always have the trailer attached to the coach during off-on loading. It is also worth noting that Futura manuals state as requirement the the trailer is connected to a vehicle for off-on loading. Dealers here seam to imply you can off-on loading without connecting the trailer?

Here are a few update photo of my Futura refinements (8.5 foot wide stone guard and side stone guard running-boards … plus a number or refinements to protect my GTS).
Hope you find the solution that works for you!
JR1946

Old 03-29-2019, 04:29 AM
VID997
Rennlist Member

I wouldn’t consider my car a “Supercar” but my doors clear the fenders by, literally 0.5”and without aid; I cannot drive on to the trailer w/o ramps...ramps are still required. I doubled checked my ride height to tonight, it’s actually 60mm.

Last edited by VID997; 03-29-2019 at 05:08 AM.
Old 03-29-2019, 04:34 AM
VID997
Rennlist Member

JR1946,

I have noticed that there is not a single image of your vehicle strapped down. Have you strapped it down yet, and if so, what system/configuration did you opt to for?
Old 03-29-2019, 04:40 AM
VID997
Rennlist Member

Supercar trailer allows me 3.0” on each side of the loading area vs 1.0” on the Feather Light and the 40’ enclosed I used last season. Literally, I had 1.0” on each side to work with. Not to mention, I could not exit the vehicle. It needed to be winched on.

Old 03-29-2019, 11:39 AM
JR1946
Rennlist Member

JR1946,

I have noticed that there is not a single image of your vehicle strapped down. Have you strapped it down yet, and if so, what system/configuration did you opt to for?
VID997,
Wow 60mm that's low! Here is a photo from my tow testing in December with the Futura tie-down system. I like the system because it allows the car to move on the suspension as Porsche recommends. With my 12" wide x 20" rear wheels and 305/30 ZR 20 tires there is just enough room to slip the strap over the tires. The front are easier but it only takes about 10 minutes to tie down the car. With your low track ride height this system probably wouldn't work.

I do understand why you selected the Supercar trailer with extra width it provides.
JR1946

Old 04-15-2019, 09:25 PM
VID997
Rennlist Member

Hi All,

Just a quick follow-up/recap. I used the trailer for the first time with everything loaded. Had my vehicle as far forward as possible and strapped it down with a custom set-up from MAC Tie-downs. Tongue weight was still on the light side, just a tick over 200lb, not ideal, but I figured I give it a test drive. Drove it around the neighborhood, speeds from 20-40mph. All felt good and the trailer brake controller was doing its job.

As I left the neighborhood and got on a local expressway to again access to the freeway, things did not go well. Had to brake hard once due to traffic and then needed to accelerate back up to speed while going up and a over an overpass. The trailer started to tug the back of the Escalade around. I was going roughly 45mph, tried bringing the speed up to 55mph and then the trailer started to sway left and right. Unfortunately, things were getting out of control and I needed to bring the set-up to a stop in order to regain control. I decided this was not a good idea and headed back home at 35mph.

Since that was a massive fail, time for plan B, backing it on...ugh...

This ended up working quite nicely and I was seeing 450lbs-500lbs of tongue pressure, right where it should be. Once on the freeway, I couldn't feel the trailer at all. Downside, with it on backwards the rear wing would oscillate left and right at speeds higher than 59mph. I set the adaptive cruise control at 59mph and crawled my way to the track, 200 miles one way...

Image 1) Nose forward.

Image 2) Backed on

Image 3) Loaded Set-up

Image 4) Ground clearance pulling off...it was tight!!!!

Image 5) Front, over the wheel set-up

Image 6) Rear, over the wheel set-up

Old 04-15-2019, 09:49 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by VID997
Just a quick follow-up/recap. ...

Downside, with it on backwards the rear wing would oscillate left and right at speeds higher than 59mph. I set the adaptive cruise control at 59mph and crawled my way to the track, 200 miles one way...
Since the wing is designed to create downforce, I wonder if you can get some long bungee cords and somehow attach a decently thick tarp to to them (bungees behind the tarp). The bungees themselves would help keep the wing from moving and the tarp might direct air over it. OTOH could be a disaster at highway speeds, not sure...

Old 04-15-2019, 10:22 PM
VID997
Rennlist Member

^ or I could just take the blade off during transport, or perhaps just the end plates? Will be trying another set-up in two weeks. Another negative with backing on...my side mirrors (lenses) were covered with bug guts, along with the back bumper and window...so bug guts all the way around after a weekend of fun.

I will say, its much easier and quicker to load compared to an enclosed trailer. Not too mention, no storage fees!!!!
Old 04-16-2019, 02:35 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Here is what you can do

Towing the car backward? I have been told that's not recommended. Buy a tire storage rack, from Futura or have one made. I had one made for me in National City, CA. It must weight 100 Lbs, don't know. Then load the race up with a minimum of 4 tires/wheels, about 50 Lbs each, 200 more Lbs, put 2 more tires/wheels in there, another 100 lbs, add the Stone Guard for $695, it weighs at least 65 Lbs Now you have added 300 Lbs in tires and wheels up front, and 65 Lbs for the Stone grand. You are up 365. If you need more weight, and some 50 Lb bar bell weights to the trunk.

Assuming your cars weighs 3,000 Lbs, and the weight of the trailer is 1322. Total weight of 4,322...10% = 432.....now add the weight of the Stone Guard, the tire rack and 6 tires....you'll have some weight on that hitch. If you don't have enough, bar bell weights...

I have towed at least 5 times with my Futura, and it has towed like a dream.I do have the Stone Guard, the tire rack and four (4) tires/wheels, lashed two to a side. This way I get a peek to the rear through the tires.

I will try to load my car and weigh it....it will make me feel better.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:04 AM
JR1946
Rennlist Member

Hi All,

Just a quick follow-up/recap. I used the trailer for the first time with everything loaded. Had my vehicle as far forward as possible and strapped it down with a custom set-up from MAC Tie-downs. Tongue weight was still on the light side, just a tick over 200lb, not ideal, but I figured I give it a test drive. Drove it around the neighborhood, speeds from 20-40mph. All felt good and the trailer brake controller was doing its job.

As I left the neighborhood and got on a local expressway to again access to the freeway, things did not go well. Had to brake hard once due to traffic and then needed to accelerate back up to speed while going up and a over an overpass. The trailer started to tug the back of the Escalade around. I was going roughly 45mph, tried bringing the speed up to 55mph and then the trailer started to sway left and right. Unfortunately, things were getting out of control and I needed to bring the set-up to a stop in order to regain control. I decided this was not a good idea and headed back home at 35mph.

Since that was a massive fail, time for plan B, backing it on...ugh...

This ended up working quite nicely and I was seeing 450lbs-500lbs of tongue pressure, right where it should be. Once on the freeway, I couldn't feel the trailer at all. Downside, with it on backwards the rear wing would oscillate left and right at speeds higher than 59mph. I set the adaptive cruise control at 59mph and crawled my way to the track, 200 miles one way...
VID997,
Update for you after private messaging you my final measured tongue weight at 456 Lb. (with fuel tank at half full) and my front loaded configuration. I just returned last night from that first road trip and the Futura trailer towed like a dream at 60-65 mph on a variety road conditions (the 32,000 GVWR coach is likely a big part of the difference).

ON and OFF loading was very easy … but I did learn it is best to find a flat spot. Loaded the last time at my campsite with the trailer sloping downward. That slope stopped the back the trailer resting on the ground … so I had to back the rear wheels of the coach up on to leveling blocks I carry and that effectively raised the trailer tongue height and allowed normal loading … other than the recovery winch was working a little harder.

Unlike your experience the low loader trailer has worked out well for my configuration. In your latest photos “Images 5 & 6” of the custom set-up from MAC Tie-downs looks like it could be a nice improvement over the Futura tie-downs I have. When you remove the over-the-tire straps how much of the deck hardware do you remove or can you just drive over it? Could you share a list of what you purchased for that custom set-up from MAC Tie-downs?

Thanks, JR1946

Sharing a photo of the first nights colorful sunset!
Old 04-16-2019, 02:22 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Futura

I will be checking out my tongue weight on 4/17/19 with a full rank of gas and incremental weight to the trailer's tare weight of 1,322 have added:
  • Futura Stone Guard @ maybe 75 lbs,
  • Tire rack of about 100 lbs,
  • Four (4) tires/wheels, about 200 Lbs,
  • 6GT3 weight of 3,050
Don't know if the "published: Futura tare weight includes the weight of the spare. I am going to contact my Futura rep today, Mike at West Coast Corvettes, mike@westcoastcorvette.com and get my tare weight questions answered. Will find out the weight of the wind guard as well.

For those wanting incremental tongue weight loads, perhaps a weight distribution hitch is worthy of consideration. I don't know why it wouldn't work.

MAC tie downs VS Futura, my biggest beef was the about of time it took to thread the over the tire portion of the tie downs between the fender lips an the tire....very tight fit on my car. I finally have up and bought tie down straps from Trailex and added RENNLINE tie down attachments, front and rear, My $250 tie downs went into the recycle bin...glad to be rid of them. They'd work great on an open wheel car as we see in the Futura video, but on my car they were not worth the effort.

Loading Clearance: I'd love to say it's not a problem with the factory GT3 front splitter, but on my car (ride height), it is. Rather than rely on ramps*** that I have to store in my SUV, I have the splitter removed for loading/un;loading and install and later remove it at the track. Not all that difficult to do.

***I bought the Futura for 2 reasons, sacrificing the convenience of an enclosed trailer to get rid of ramps of any sort. I tripped over my ramps on the ATC 2X, and screwed up a knee in the process, not "terminal" but it aint what it used to be. The scoff reason, going from a ACT 20' retailer with a drivers side "escape door" over the trailer wheel wells, the 6GT3 doors are lower than my previous car (a 993), and the wheel wells interfered with the passenger door. To clear the bottom of the door facilitating opening and closing the "escape door", during loading and unloading, I needed to build the floor height up with ramps. More damn ramps....enough was enough, so I drove my car up to my Futura dealer and did a test load....it went on readily, no clearance problems....the Futura was not hitched up, and the nose wheel in the lowest position. Can't remember if the 6GT3 front splitter was attached.

I don't have the space of deal with loading on to the trailer, then later loading on to the trailer ball. So the splitter comes on and off easily, that's how I prevent scraping it off. I REFUSE TO USE RAMPS AS A MATTER OF PRINCIPLE.

Bottom line, the Futura's convenience of loading and unloading, and tying down the car using Trailex straps on the the RENNLINE attachment points is far simpler than the loading and tying down process on the 20'ATC.

I am out!
Old 04-17-2019, 12:14 AM
VID997
Rennlist Member

JR1946,

The MAC VersaTie Tracks mount to the trailer floor, they have smooth rounded edges, you can just drive right over them. The anchor points/attachments are spring loaded quick release units. You just loosen the ratchet and then release anchors from the track. It’s super quick and efficient. I have some new bits arriving this week. I can post all the details once V2 arrives and has been tested.

My friend has a Supercar trailer for his 991 GT3RS. He has a spare tire, winch, and the larger tire rack. When he pulls on (forward) he is seeing very low tongue weight as well; just a tick over 200lbs using my “new” Weight-safe” receiver/hitch. No tires on the rack and only 3 gallons of fuel in the tank. He ordered a Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight scale today. We hope to test both set-ups (997 & 991, nose first) this weekend if everything arrives in time. He is also going install my MAC set-up on his trailer as well.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:21 AM
VID997
Rennlist Member

To give you an idea of the VersaTrack cleats...

Old 04-17-2019, 11:13 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Disturbing...low tongue weight..

An anathema to trailer pullers as we are. I have a Sherline scale and I will check the wrong weight today. I do have the tire rack, 4 tires, the recovery winch and the spare tire, and the car will gave a full tank of gas. I will post up my results.

Tie downs? It would be nice to see a MAC video...I'll do a search.

Let's hope we all can make at least 10% of the loaded trailers weight. If not, then it's time for a weight distribution hitch, what's another $700 down the drain.

I have inadvertently added weight to the nose of my Futura by order of:
  • Futura Spare tire, about 40 Lbs.,
  • Stone Guard, about 100 Lbs.,
  • Winch, 40 Lbs.,
  • Tire Rack, about 100 Lbs.,
  • Four (4) tires/wheels, about 200 Lbs
Total added about 480 Lbs..and loaded toward the front of the trailer. I also have a full tank of gas in the race car (Gas goes up front), that adds another 100 Lbs, now at 580 incremental weight. So Net/Net I am towing about 1,333 + 580, or 1,913 Lbs, recommended 10% on the tongue, so I'd like to see 191 Lbs on the tongue/ball. I will weigh the trailer's tongue one of these days, my tongue scale is in Paso Robles.

As far as ant trailer sway, my Lincoln Navigator has electronic anti-yaw control on the rear axle. it applies some braking to the appropriate rear side to address any sway if it were to occur, or at least that's what the sales brochure says.

Last edited by Martin S.; 04-17-2019 at 10:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Futura Trailer