Trickle charge truck outside

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 02:18 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,476 Likes on 1,959 Posts
Default Trickle charge truck outside

I bought my F350 a couple of years ago and used to drive it around more than I do now. Wife, who is short, hates climbing in and out and the overall ride quality. I take it to the track, Home Depot, and when I want to enjoy a cigar while driving.

Because I don't use it as much the batteries, which are both one year old Interstate batteries, keep going dead. Accordingly, I want to keep it on a trickle charge.

I know I can keep a lead on each battery and hang the lead out of the front grill. However, the truck will be kept outside and I want to hardwire something into it so all I have to do is plug it into an extension cord.

Also, do I need one for each battery or will the fact that they are both on the same circuit keep them both charged?

Has anyone hardwired the charging unit into their truck? Looking for ideas.

Thanks!
Old 08-31-2018, 03:16 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

ive had all my trucks, trailers and cars on trickle/chargers. my very favorite is the marinco 4.3 amp charge pro unit. it has no reverse draw. we had some of the othe runits, the ones that porsche brands, and ctek, and if you disconncet from 110power, the lights on the charger stay on and draw back juice from the battery. i used to have the chargers on a timer and they'd come on weekly for a day. then go off. then we realized the batteries were dying as the lights would stay on even when the wall power was not flowing.
anyway, the marinco is very nice. i think west marine sells them. they used to be like 120, 130 bucks and they are blowing them out at like 60 bucks. i have several very nice. agm, flooded, 6v and 12v.
4.3a max and then trickles down.you can leave it connected and never disconnect it, and just plug in when you park.
one trailer i had had a nice solar setup. wasnt too bad. the nice thign there is, as long as you have reasonable sun light, you're set and good to go justabout all the time.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:50 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I bought my F350 a couple of years ago and used to drive it around more than I do now. Wife, who is short, hates climbing in and out and the overall ride quality. I take it to the track, Home Depot, and when I want to enjoy a cigar while driving.

Because I don't use it as much the batteries, which are both one year old Interstate batteries, keep going dead. Accordingly, I want to keep it on a trickle charge.

I know I can keep a lead on each battery and hang the lead out of the front grill. However, the truck will be kept outside and I want to hardwire something into it so all I have to do is plug it into an extension cord.

Also, do I need one for each battery or will the fact that they are both on the same circuit keep them both charged?

Has anyone hardwired the charging unit into their truck? Looking for ideas.

Thanks!
Solar powered smart battery charger
Amazon Amazon
Old 09-04-2018, 08:25 PM
techno99
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a $20 solar charger from Northern Tool sitting on the drivers seat into the cigarette lighter on my Dodge 2500.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:07 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,476 Likes on 1,959 Posts

I park my trailer in the shade most of the time in the summer otherwise solar would be good.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:02 PM
techno99
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I park my trailer in the shade most of the time in the summer otherwise solar would be good.
I have a car cover on mine and it still gets enough charge to keep the batteries from dying. I’ll go 2-3 months without starting it. This is on a 2008 so it probably doesn’t take much to keep the batteries from dying, not all the electronic crap sucking the batteries dry.

Quick Reply: Trickle charge truck outside