Notices

How to prevent overnight theft of trailer with car on it.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 10:48 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

What me worry. I have towed over 100k miles in the last 12 years with an open trailer. Cars were GT3/GT2, M3's and various other cars. I have stayed in some shady areas/hotels over the years and never had anything stolen or vandalized. I do like to back the trailer up against something and keep it close to room but that's not always possible.

Peter
Old 03-26-2018, 12:53 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Info on Pucks?

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
+!, That's what I use. The puck lock that comes with it is garbage, but there are a couple pucks on the market with strong lock designs from Mul-t-lock and WAR-LOC.
You wrote, " puck lock that comes with it is garbage, but there are a couple pucks on the market with strong lock designs from Mul-t-lock and WAR-LOC." Any idea of the models/part numbers of these pucks? I want peace of mind. Wondering if the War Lok Puck will fit inside the Proven Industries Coupler.

I found this:
Old 03-26-2018, 02:48 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
You wrote, " puck lock that comes with it is garbage, but there are a couple pucks on the market with strong lock designs from Mul-t-lock and WAR-LOC." Any idea of the models/part numbers of these pucks? I want peace of mind. Wondering if the War Lok Puck will fit inside the Proven Industries Coupler.

I found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=44&v=Sjy9Pp-SFkU
I sent you a PM with links. The Mul-t-lock is the Porsche of locks. War Lok is good, but while I've not had trouble with mine yet, I've read reviews where user error has led to a bricked lock...while locked.
Typically if the video is from the manufacturer, then you should take it with a massive grain of salt. Lock picking is a hobby of a lot of youtube celebs, so search around and there is some good entertainment on the topic.

Masterlock (easy to pick):

Aluminum lock that came with my proven industries trailer lock (easy to melt off):
Old 03-26-2018, 06:37 PM
drive418
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
All of these locks can be disabled. Park in a well lit spot in a way that would make it hard for somebody to uncouple your trailer from the tow vehicle - and get insurance for theft.
I usually leave my tow vehicle hooked up to the trailer. I haven't had any issues...fingers crossed.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:08 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I kind of like having a lock I can cut with a bolt cutter, just in case I loose the key. I mean not that I’ve ever done that, but just in case...
Old 03-29-2018, 12:04 AM
crashtest22
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks Robbie and Martin,
I bought both of those after reading this.
We were using a cheap one with the bar over the top and after watching that video it was clear that it would do no good.

We were using master locks on the back door and are now upgrading to the War-Lok for all 3 positions
Old 03-29-2018, 12:08 AM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
I kind of like having a lock I can cut with a bolt cutter, just in case I loose the key. I mean not that I’ve ever done that, but just in case...

I had a lock that could be cut off with bolt cutters and that is exactly what someone did...thankfully my car wasn't on it when they took the trailer... Now I have GPS tracker and Proven lock, thanks to ShakeNBake for the research. ;-)
Old 03-29-2018, 12:16 AM
crashtest22
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I like the GPS tracker. from what I understand they are not crazy money to subscribe to and have their own power source so you can hide the sh it out of it
Old 04-13-2018, 04:24 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by crashtest22
I like the GPS tracker. from what I understand they are not crazy money to subscribe to and have their own power source so you can hide the sh it out of it
Yup, i have one from gpsandtrack IIRC, about $300 for a 5 year plan. Emails you daily updates. If a trailer were stolen, you can log onto the website and track it. Be aware though, it gives you an certain number of active tracks (i think mine is 150), so unless the rig is missing you don't want to be tracking it. Every morning i get an email telling me the address where it is parked which is part of the plan. i have found that it works inside a metal storage building as well. It is about the size of a small shoe and if you attach it to the roof or wherever it is pretty unnoticeable.

As far as keeping the trailer secure, buy good locks and use as many as you can. I use a trailer boot when stored for extended periods in addition to a tongue lock and tongue lever lock. Yes anything can be cut off (lord knows i have to cut off my share of locks for people who have lost their keys), but due to the design, it would take a little time. Most thieves want quick in and out so whatever you can do to slow them down and make them want to move down the road to something easier pickings. Unfortunately it someone wants it bad enough, you just aren't going to stop them. Carry good PTS insurance.
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/80140/10002/-1?CAWELAID=230006180037545008&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=39714413703&CATCI=pla-291420598510&CATARGETID=230006180039220963&cadevice=c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-Nz9y_y32gIVjoWzCh3C6AWUEAQYAyABEgKdCfD_BwE
Old 04-13-2018, 07:00 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by CharleyH
All great advice. One added recommendation is to use really good locks like the Atwood AMP locks. DO NOT USE ANYTHING MADE BY MASTERLOCK! They are junk that are easily picked or bumped. I found this out when a homeless person bumped the lock on my trailer and decided to smoke in there with my racecar and spare Racing fuel. Locks are only deterrents and any deterrents can be overcome, but the better your deterants are tends to move crooks to easier pickings.

Charley

FWIW Atwood AMP has been sold out to another company and their locks are now NLA unfortunately. I talked w/ Etrailer today and they said once their current stock is sold out they don't expect to get more, as far as they know the new owner is discontinuing the AMP line. Bummer, these are some of the nicest locks on the market.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:43 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts

Linxup (GPS tracker) is working well for me. It's not real-time, there is a 10 minute delay between updates. Their back-end software is very solid, and there is a native iphone app that sends notifications (along with SMS and email).
Old 04-18-2018, 02:28 AM
autosea
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

put in a motion sensor relay power up the electric brakes. follow the skid marks
Old 02-28-2022, 08:07 AM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalton07
Have you ever been worried about your trailer being stolen?
My strategy - always ensure the guy next to you has a much better trailer, which is easy for me to do
Old 02-28-2022, 12:07 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalton07
Have you ever been worried about your trailer being stolen? The best way to keep a trailer from being stolen is probably to keep it attached to your trailer. But I'll show you some simple steps to lock a trailer so it can't be stolen. The first is to secure your trailer with a link lock and latch lock. , making it impossible for thieves to run away with the trailer. You can install a GPS tracker in your trailer or paint your trailer with fluorescent pigments.
So your expert advice is: "The best way to keep a trailer from being stolen is probably to keep it attached to your trailer." Wow. Thats some good stuff right there. So I need to attach my trailer to my trailer. This is groundbreaking. Seriously - I'm running out right now to do this......
Old 03-05-2022, 06:00 PM
BFT3.2
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 67 Posts

This only applies to very recent tow vehicles but my 2021 F150 STX with tow package has a feature that if the trailer wiring harness is disconnected from the truck a signal is sent to the Ford Pass app on my phone and a notification pings me, just make sure you give the app permission to bypass Do Not Disturb etc. so you actually hear it. I was honestly surprised/impressed that the trim level of my truck had this option.

Quick Reply: How to prevent overnight theft of trailer with car on it.