Notices

Trailer Storage?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 05:43 PM
mgent
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer Storage?

I'm looking at buying a 18' or 20' featherlite or ATC open trailer to use for my 981... I won't be able to store it at my house when not in use, at least if I want to continue living in my house, so had a few questions about off-site trailer storage:
- Where do you guys store trailers? I was looking at storage units, figuring I could store house stuff, trailer, and my car on the trailer in the winter, but most of the units I've seen have 8' wide doors? Are there units with larger and I need to do more looking?
- With the Chicago winters, I assume it should be inside not outside for trailer and tire life? Or would it be ok in an open spot?
- If outside, any special tips? I've seen guys store them on jack stands (tire life?), or does it need to be covered?

Thanks in advance for the help... I'm towing with a GLS450, so would be borderline with an enclosed, and for 6-10 days a year, open should be sufficient...
Old 09-01-2017, 11:36 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

I think outdoors is fine. Rest the trailer on stands or blocks, though without the car on it I'm not sure that's necessary unless you pull the wheels.
Protect the tires against sun damage with plywood, covers, or taking them with you (best as also avoids theft of wheels and reduces theft of trailer).
Old 09-02-2017, 12:45 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Outside storage will be fine. I leave my wheels and tires on and have not had any problem with theft. Trailer tires last about 3 to 4 years and then normally fall apart in my experience. They are not that expensive so replacing them is not too bad and is part of my maintenance schedule. Get a good trailer hitch lock, it will deter the lazy thieves. Do not store anything on your trailer. I have lost a couple of license plates off my trailer so I attach it with wing nuts and take it with me when I park it at the lot.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:58 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

Trailer tires turn to crap very quickly so mine get 3 seasons and then tossed. Maybe save one as a spare and toss current spare. Just not worth it considering what is in the trailer. My tires stay on year round as my trailer is tucked in next to my garage.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:10 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 494 Posts

Don't overthink it. Store it outside. Trailer locks will only deter the casual thief so make sure you have insurance for it. Throw your tires away every 3 - 4 years.

Quick Reply: Trailer Storage?