Notices

Solar panels on an enclosed trailer. Who has done it ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 11:36 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
Thanks, looks sim to what I am thinking. Currently thinking 800 watts of panels and 400 ah of gel batteries. Mission creep I guess. I will be adding something like a Dometic RV refrigerator and need enough ah to run it all night. Ice and freezer packs take up a lot of cooler space so am not sure yet how big of a unit to get.
Also making this a winter/early spring project as the season is coming to an end and a few vacations out of the country are coming up. Luck that I have heated space at work to store trailer while I work on it.
Big list.
Wheel bearings and brakes.
Repair perimeter seal around roof, involves removing a 3" wide silicon caulk band that has a hairline crack in it all around.
Make new aluminum ramps that are lighter. (mad fabrication skilz)
Swap fluorescent lights for LED lights, already have 12 volt LED ceiling lights.
Convert swing open cabinet doors to flip up with gas springs.
Add drawers to top of tire racks to keep all tools organized.
Hunt down Nitrogen leaks between tank and hose reel.
Make easier to use Nitrogen tank holder with easy to reach valve too.
And all the solar stuff and etc.
And sort out the gooseneck attic. Stuff gets tossed up there and just needs to be tossed out. Like the pair of aluminum crutches.
For your fridge, bear in mind that if you load up the freezer with ice packs and then move some to the fridge portion at the end of the day and don't open the fridge you can turn it off overnight and everything will be cold in the morning. It's an RV boondocking trick to extend battery life; the fridge will be almost all your overnight consumption and if you do this you'll still have battery life to make coffee, etc in the morning before the sun comes up. You might also be able to get by with smaller battery array.

This assumes budget exists. If not, go hog wild.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:36 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 301 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
Thanks, looks sim to what I am thinking. Currently thinking 800 watts of panels and 400 ah of gel batteries. Mission creep I guess. I will be adding something like a Dometic RV refrigerator and need enough ah to run it all night. Ice and freezer packs take up a lot of cooler space so am not sure yet how big of a unit to get.
Also making this a winter/early spring project as the season is coming to an end and a few vacations out of the country are coming up. Luck that I have heated space at work to store trailer while I work on it.
Big list.
Wheel bearings and brakes.
Repair perimeter seal around roof, involves removing a 3" wide silicon caulk band that has a hairline crack in it all around.
Make new aluminum ramps that are lighter. (mad fabrication skilz)
Swap fluorescent lights for LED lights, already have 12 volt LED ceiling lights.
Convert swing open cabinet doors to flip up with gas springs.
Add drawers to top of tire racks to keep all tools organized.
Hunt down Nitrogen leaks between tank and hose reel.
Make easier to use Nitrogen tank holder with easy to reach valve too.
And all the solar stuff and etc.
And sort out the gooseneck attic. Stuff gets tossed up there and just needs to be tossed out. Like the pair of aluminum crutches.
good list! a few thoughts:
-look into dicor for your perimeter seal. make sure you use the right product with your roof material
-skip the fridge. it's nice, but it's annoying. i had a RV fridge that ran off propane/DC power. wasn't worth it. I used a good cooler more often than not.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:28 PM
Ak47si
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ngng
good list! a few thoughts:
-look into dicor for your perimeter seal. make sure you use the right product with your roof material
-skip the fridge. it's nice, but it's annoying. i had a RV fridge that ran off propane/DC power. wasn't worth it. I used a good cooler more often than not.
here is what I did to my Trailex. It works out perfect. Able to tilt up when I need to charge. Tilt down when I am towing but not necessary. No drilling to my trailer. I was able to wire the solar panel to the bottom of my Trailex to my optima yellow battery.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:22 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ak47si
here is what I did to my Trailex. It works out perfect. Able to tilt up when I need to charge. Tilt down when I am towing but not necessary. No drilling to my trailer. I was able to wire the solar panel to the bottom of my Trailex to my optima yellow battery.
I like that setup. Where did you get that Aluminum angle?
Old 11-08-2017, 01:33 AM
ngng
Drifting

nice and clean! did you just pick up the renology panel kit with charge controller?
Old 11-08-2017, 10:09 AM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Here's my setup. Bought everything from Alt-E store online. Small charge controller and 2 20W panels. I still need to add a proper adjustable mount. Although, the zip ties mount and vertical orientation have worked ok for a season.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:08 PM
Ak47si
Instructor

Originally Posted by dbbarron
amazon sell them specifically for solar panel.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:10 PM
Ak47si
Instructor

Originally Posted by dbbarron
Originally Posted by ngng
nice and clean! did you just pick up the renology panel kit with charge controller?
yes, renology solar panel kit with controller. Pretty straight forward installation. Longest time was mounting the aluminum angle bracket on the trailer.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:50 PM
ngng
Drifting

yes, renology solar panel kit with controller. Pretty straight forward installation. Longest time was mounting the aluminum angle bracket on the trailer.
now that your battery will always be topped off...electri winch!

Quick Reply: Solar panels on an enclosed trailer. Who has done it ?