Notices
Taycan 2019-Current The Electric Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is it like to drive a Taycan Turbo S? Including during intense acceleration!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2024, 07:50 PM
TheTempGuy
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question What is it like to drive a Taycan Turbo S? Including during intense acceleration!

Those who have experience with driving a Taycan Turbo S (at least enough to have a somewhat solid "feel" for it), do you feel the performance of the brakes are sufficient given the excellent acceleration ability of the car? Does it ever feel 'wide' at all? Does it mask acceleration/speed well, or does it rather make acceleration/speed feel intense?

How about the thrill factor of it? I've frequently seen a lot of people disliking EV's because "they're boring, just quick (with many saying only to 60mph)", and that "the acceleration gets old". My thing is, can't the acceleration of ANY quick car get "old", ICE, EV, or whatever else? Also, it seems hard to want to even think that ANY car with the same OR somewhat near the same performance of the Taycan Turbo S can legitimately be "boring", whether due to a lack of sound, shifting, or whatever else. But, then again, I have yet to drive ANY sort of performance car (ICE or EV), so I only have stats to go off of, and I do realize numbers aren't everything.

Thanks for any helpful responses!
Old 08-23-2024, 07:54 AM
Mr_Marty
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 63 Posts

It's a VERY heavy car. The acceleration, however, is brutal and addictive. Depends on what you like. It's not a sports car IMO. It's a luxury GT car. I enjoy driving mine on longer, relaxed trips.

The advantage of an EV is the torque. The acceleration is therefore instantaneous. No turbo lag, no having to get the revs up. It's there instantly.

If the car were 1000 pounds lighter it would be perfect but the weight is noticeable and detracts from the overall experience. Perhaps some day we will get solid-state batteries. If and when that happens it'll be mostly the end for ICE cars. Yes, there is something about engine noise and shifting and all that but a lightweight EV with all that torque will be impossible to beat.
The following users liked this post:
PierreTT (08-29-2024)
Old 08-23-2024, 09:14 AM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts

I own a turbo, with all the performance options, which is the exact same as the turbo S outside of launch control. I have also driven a turbo S a decent amount. With any of these cars the acceleration becomes boring but that is literally any car. After about a month I was wishing it had more power. What is really nice and addicting is the instant torque. The speed is masked but the torque can be brutal if you just stab the throttle.

The weight can really only be felt if you come in to a turn way too hot or are going 9ths and above. It's masks the weight very well. The vehicle also feels quite small for its size as long as you are not pushing it that 9ths or more. The brakes I also never feel wanting or needing more and I do frequent mountain runs with it.

To me they are like almost any Porsche, with the exception of a few. In that they are pretty uneventful cars unless you are pushing them. They are just so capable they are pretty boring to just cruise around. Now I actually think this shines more with the Taycan than the other cars. As it's a sedan so that quiet and boring is very nice for just the daily activities. However if you want to have fun on some twisty roads it turns into an outright playful monster. They are amazing machines and I am glad to have one in my garage. With that said I would make sure you have a fun two seat gas car to go with it. I would also definitely not recommend this vehicle if it's your sole vehicle and you want to track it. It can be your only vehicle very easily I just crave some of that emotion of a gas car.

Last edited by CarAholic; 08-23-2024 at 09:18 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by CarAholic:
992_gt3 (08-27-2024), Der-Schwabe (08-23-2024), GTZee (09-06-2024), PierreTT (08-29-2024), superfast02911 (08-29-2024)
Old 08-23-2024, 10:39 AM
On_Your_Left
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

You can notice the weight of the car when pushed hard, else it’s not really noticeable. We had a Model S previously, and the Turbo S hides the weight 10x better.

Launch control never gets old.

The brakes work just fine. They have a bit of a non linear feel under light brakes, but if you stomp on them they perform very well.

Last edited by On_Your_Left; 08-23-2024 at 10:40 AM.
GTZee (09-06-2024)
Old 08-28-2024, 04:42 PM
RingoDingo
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 33 Posts

The quick response is always "go test drive one" on some twisty roads. I think, like most automotive enthusiasts, that you'll be pleasantly surprised.

It is heavy, and under intense load you'll feel that - there's only so much one can do to defy physics - but it's a very nimble car despite that, and it handles and steers like a dream.

If you absolutely must have engine noise to be happy, you'll never be happy in an EV, especially as you hear loads of tire squeal as the car goes around on a track. But if you can put that aside, it's a superior mode of transportation in most every other way. Once they get SS batteries and the weight goes down, nobody will want anything but an EV other than for nostalgia.
The following 2 users liked this post by RingoDingo:
Der-Schwabe (08-29-2024), GTZee (09-06-2024)
Old 09-06-2024, 02:48 PM
GTZee
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I just picked up a Turbo S - I have had my fair share of super cars(not saying Taycan is a super car lol) so my standards going into it were pretty high. I love driving this thing. Yes its very heavy but I honestly don't feel it as much as I thought I would. The handling is superb and the carbon ceramics are awesome. I have tons of confidence in it and for an EV, its very engaging.

It will never be like my other ICE cars (the sound is such an integral part of the driving experience to me) but for what it is and the purpose I need it for, its a fantastic car. Go in with the right expectations

Last edited by GTZee; 09-06-2024 at 02:51 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by GTZee:
Der-Schwabe (09-07-2024), Scrappy1972 (09-06-2024), thebishman (09-07-2024)
Old 09-06-2024, 04:42 PM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 196 Posts

I picked up a standard Taycan on a 12 month lease while I wait for a 25 911 GTS build.I am very surprised how much I like this car, never thought I would. I can only imagine the Turbo being a step up.

Last edited by ENCT; 09-06-2024 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-06-2024, 09:02 PM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 718 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by GTZee
I just picked up a Turbo S - I have had my fair share of super cars(not saying Taycan is a super car lol) so my standards going into it were pretty high. I love driving this thing. Yes its very heavy but I honestly don't feel it as much as I thought I would. The handling is superb and the carbon ceramics are awesome. I have tons of confidence in it and for an EV, its very engaging.

It will never be like my other ICE cars (the sound is such an integral part of the driving experience to me) but for what it is and the purpose I need it for, its a fantastic car. Go in with the right expectations

I’ve also owned (and own) a multitude of supercars (and hypers) and absolutely love my Taycan Turbo GT. I’ve never driven a Taycan of any kind prior to taking delivery so I didn’t know what to expect. Exceeded my expectations in every way. The suspension control is other worldly.
wes49r (09-07-2024)
Old 09-07-2024, 08:50 AM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrappy1972
I’ve also owned (and own) a multitude of supercars (and hypers) and absolutely love my Taycan Turbo GT. I’ve never driven a Taycan of any kind prior to taking delivery so I didn’t know what to expect. Exceeded my expectations in every way. The suspension control is other worldly.
Turbo GT has to be a ton of fun
Old 09-07-2024, 05:47 PM
johnarpy
Instructor

Received 228 Likes on 93 Posts

I have a Taycan Turbo S Cross Truismo as my daily driver. I drive 95 miles roundtrip daily. It is unbelievable. It is my 4th Taycan and second Turbo S. The power is immediate. The comfort and sound is perfection, although I do turn on the sport sound each time. In case you think I don't appreciate a Porsche from the ICE variety, I have three others right now. I have a 2014 Carrera which is so fun. A 2019 Speedster that screams. And a 2024 S/T that I'm just getting to know. For a daily driver I would not be without a Taycan, and the Turbo S is the best.
The following 2 users liked this post by johnarpy:
Der-Schwabe (09-08-2024), flygdchman (09-08-2024)
Old 09-12-2024, 06:36 PM
le rafiot
AutoX

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrappy1972
I think exactly like you
Old 09-13-2024, 10:26 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,271 Likes on 619 Posts

Happy to see all these positive reviews while waiting for my CT Turbo S!

Quick Reply: What is it like to drive a Taycan Turbo S? Including during intense acceleration!