Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Life and Replacement Cost?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2024, 09:26 PM
diver110
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Battery Life and Replacement Cost?

Right now I drive a 2017 Porsche Panamera Turbo and am very happy with it. But I have always wondered about the Taycan. One thing that is held me back is the range. We often drive to the beach and back in a day, two hours and 100 miles each way. I know the Taycan range is more than that, but it is not easy to charge at the beach, and if anything unexpected happens, I worry I could get stuck. The other thing is how long the battery can be expected to last. 8 years or 100,000 miles warranty is not terrible, but it is not great either. It is not unusual for internal combustion Porsche engine to go 200,000 miles and up without major work. I have heard that the Taycan battery is so expensive to replace that it would not be worth it. What say you?
Old 08-02-2024, 10:20 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,927 Likes on 1,908 Posts

Originally Posted by diver110
Right now I drive a 2017 Porsche Panamera Turbo and am very happy with it. But I have always wondered about the Taycan. One thing that is held me back is the range. We often drive to the beach and back in a day, two hours and 100 miles each way. I know the Taycan range is more than that, but it is not easy to charge at the beach, and if anything unexpected happens, I worry I could get stuck. The other thing is how long the battery can be expected to last. 8 years or 100,000 miles warranty is not terrible, but it is not great either. It is not unusual for internal combustion Porsche engine to go 200,000 miles and up without major work. I have heard that the Taycan battery is so expensive to replace that it would not be worth it. What say you?
hard to say

the "big battery" in most EV's doesn't "fail" that much after warranty but if it does it's expensive - I'd put in the same category as any major drive train component on a Porsche - transmission, engine, cooling stuff, etc…and if you read the forums 200,000 miles is a dream and some postings in the Cayenne/Panamera forums would have to never buying anything…

nothing is bullet proof and if it fails out of warranty Porsche's service price parts and typical labor to resolve the issue is eye watering in terms of expense…personally seeing some of the service invoices for the V8, transfer case, and transmission on my 2021 Cayenne leads me to believe once the CPO is up in 2027 I'm not owning that car out of warranty - some of the actual repair invoices for sub 100,000 mile failures is more than the battery for a Taycan

so like any mechanical thing it's a crap shoot

the 2025 Taycan's better range make your Beach trip 100 miles each way no big deal - and if you do need to charge it should be no problem - everyone focus on the 80% charge time at 20-25 min - but being a long time EV owner - sometime all I need is a bit of buffer - if you give up on the notion of having to "fill up" - you can make an EV stop any duration you want - and should you need some "extra" range a 5-10 min stop can add 100 miles of range to get you home…I'd check plug-share on the beach route for fast chargers and if it's well covered - in the rare case you need some extra range a short "top up" will easily get you an extra 50 miles with out investing in a full let's go to 80/90% stop

having driving EV's since 2011 I can say once you go EV it's hard to go back - I loved my Taycan and I'm looking forward to my Macan Turbo - once there is a Cayenne classs vehicle that's full EV the Hybrid is being sold/traded - if the BMW iX SU:v's had been an option in 2021 we'd have one of those instead of a Hybrid Cayenne

while the battery is "the scary monster" in the room - you can take solice there are far fewer things to go wrong after 100,000 miles on an EV - no emissions stuff, no transfer cases, no valves, heads, turbos, etc…so yeah if the battery conks out you either walk away form the car for salvage value or fix it - statistics from the Tesla fleets of S's and X's from 2011 don't show a high degree of failure

you're not the first person to have this concern - but again at past 100,000 _ANYTHING_ going wrong with the drive train in a Porsche is expensive - I'll politely push back on your 200,000 mile internal combustion engine stat - there are plenty of hideous examples of massive repair bills for Porsche's out of warranty and well shy of 100,000 miles…at that point in time is all a lottery level of likely hood and I you put the "bad one" it's going to cost you - EV or ICE doesn't matter.
The following 5 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
AlexCeres (08-03-2024), flygdchman (08-02-2024), FmrMacanOwner (08-13-2024), Psu82Eric (08-09-2024), Wirebender (Yesterday)
Old 08-03-2024, 12:04 AM
diver110
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. All Porsche repair bills are hideous. While I have no doubt a Porsche engine can go 200,000 miles, all of the other repair costs one incurs while getting there could be a big number. I probably run close to 25 cents per mile to drive the car plus gas. Do you have a sense of your per mile cost on the Taycan?
Old 08-03-2024, 12:27 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the feedback. All Porsche repair bills are hideous. While I have no doubt a Porsche engine can go 200,000 miles, all of the other repair costs one incurs while getting there could be a big number. I probably run close to 25 cents per mile to drive the car plus gas. Do you have a sense of your per mile cost on the Taycan?

major costs are:
  • electricity per-mile - you can estimate 3 to 3.5 miles/kWh and check your home electrical bill for for "fuel" cost per mile
  • tires
  • depreciation
  • brake fluid flush ever two year
  • you can forgo porsche "service" for an EV - there is literailly nothing to maintain and if you look at the "list" of what they do it's all inspections and a cabin air filter change
costs you do not have
  • oil changes
  • fluid changes
  • brakes
  • emissions
  • spark plugs
  • etc…
depreciation is going to be your main costs with "fuel" costs generally being 1/3rd the cost of gasoline on a per-mile basis (estimating 28 mpg for gasoline per-mile cost which is generous as a comparison) if you charge at home with residential kWh rates…there is much much less to maintain on an EV and less to go wrong - so you don't have the every 10,000 miles swap a whole bunch of consumables costs…
The following 3 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
AlexCeres (08-03-2024), flygdchman (08-03-2024), Psu82Eric (08-03-2024)
Old 08-03-2024, 12:54 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

according to some quick google it appears you're in clark county, WA and residential power is $0.09-0.11 / kwh - let's call it $0.12

at 3 miles per/kwh - your cost per mile is $0.04/mile in "fuel" costs
at 3.5 miles per/kwh - your cost per mile is $0.034/mile in "fuel" costs

at 28 mph @ $4.00 galllon - "fuel" costs per-mile are $0.14/mile

your next major costs/mile will be depreciation and tires - tires on a big heavy EV like Taycan are 20,000-25,000 miles

other EV maintenance costs are "noise" and there is virtually nothing to "maintain" in terms of costs - there are no $500-$1000 fluid/parts swaps in the maintenance schedule - as noted Porsche "wants" you to pay the dealer $800-$1200 every 10k miles, but if you inspect the actual work that is suggested with these service visits it is _ALL_ inspections with no actual "work" performed - they simply don't know what to do with themselves on an EV and are desparate to find something to charge you for, but ti's all un-necessary work unless something is actually wrong.

Example: they wanted to charge me $750 to "check align" my matrix headlights every 10k miles -

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 08-03-2024 at 12:58 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
flygdchman (08-03-2024), Psu82Eric (08-03-2024)
Old 08-03-2024, 10:30 AM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

range anxiety is an affliction many newbies suffer from. as you learn the capabilities of your car, the infrastructure of where you drive, the available info about where you can charge range anxieties will be diminished.
as for battery replacement, an EV needing a battery replacement is a rare animal. the batteries have long warranties, similar to gas engines. most people will never have a need for a main battery replacement and the taycan is relatively new so there is no real data on the potential life of the battery. the older porsches were far simpler machines than newer editions, the complex electronics/computers in the car are prone to failing and are quite costly to service. I don't keep cars that fall out of warranty because of those new issues.

jumping into the EV world can be frightening, before making a big investment for a taycan you could consider leasing or buying a less expensive EV and see if the ins and outs of driving an EV is for you.
The following users liked this post:
daveo4porsche (08-03-2024)
Old 08-03-2024, 10:58 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kort677
range anxiety is an affliction many newbies suffer from. as you learn the capabilities of your car, the infrastructure of where you drive, the available info about where you can charge range anxieties will be diminished.
as for battery replacement, an EV needing a battery replacement is a rare animal. the batteries have long warranties, similar to gas engines. most people will never have a need for a main battery replacement and the taycan is relatively new so there is no real data on the potential life of the battery. the older porsches were far simpler machines than newer editions, the complex electronics/computers in the car are prone to failing and are quite costly to service. I don't keep cars that fall out of warranty because of those new issues.

jumping into the EV world can be frightening, before making a big investment for a taycan you could consider leasing or buying a less expensive EV and see if the ins and outs of driving an EV is for you.
panamera Hybrid or Cayenne Hybrid is also a great place to start - plug-in hybrid's are training-wheels for full EV's - and I know several people that started with a Hybrid, found out the whole "EV only" thing wasn't so bad and then made the leap into a full EV with total confidence - that will also allow the EV market to "mature" more and the eventual EV you "leap" into will be a better product - unlike gas cars which are quite mature - there is still a lot of growth in EV's from generation to generation (look at the range different between gen1 and gen2 Taycan's) - EV's are more like computer vs. gas cars - they will only get better in the future - the growth will manifest itself as greater ability - reliabilty is high for EV's even in their current forms - but a 2030 EV is going to be worlds "better" than a 2025 EV

EV's an range are manageable and once you find the "apps" that let you see where there are EV chargers - you can pretty much go anywhere with confidence knowing that if you need to you can charge.
Old 08-03-2024, 09:06 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 322 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
...EV's an range are manageable and once you find the "apps" that let you see where there are EV chargers - you can pretty much go anywhere with confidence knowing that if you need to you can charge.
I would not want argue with a poster who has 5,506 posts and received 3,844 Likes on 1,873 Posts

With all due respect, Santa Cruz, CA is another EV world compared to middle America or for that matter other than planet CA with a relatively mature EV infrastructure.
The following 3 users liked this post by Dr. G7:
daveo4porsche (08-03-2024), flygdchman (08-04-2024), Psu82Eric (08-03-2024)
Old 08-03-2024, 10:08 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr. G7
I would not want argue with a poster who has 5,506 posts and received 3,844 Likes on 1,873 Posts

With all due respect, Santa Cruz, CA is another EV world compared to middle America or for that matter other than planet CA with a relatively mature EV infrastructure.
I understand - I'll humbly argue it's better than you think but not as good as either of the coasts - but there is more than you expect if you actually go and look - and it will get better over time - that's the trend

but you're point is well taken - if you still major highways you're pretty good all over…but off major highways it might take more planning than one would want

when reviewing various apps for Ev charging and having driven EV's since 2011 - I've always "found a way" - but sometimes it requires being creative - not idea, but not getting stranded either

for the most part eV's are great daily driver's and you charge at home/garagte so public charging doesn't matter so much - when road tripping however you are correct, it's best to go in "eyes open" and plan your route - there are great apps that will help with that and give confidence that you're not going into a "no go zone".

the worst case I recently found is Carlsbad Canverns - there is simply NO EV charging around Carlsbad Arizona - fast or slow - there is very very little - that's one place I can't take an EV or have to be very careful with battery…

your post is not wrong, but I'd bet it's better than you think, but still has a long ways to go.

I also have complete respect for your post cause it's not yet 'a given' it's good all over

https://supercharge.info/map

once porsche EV's have access to supercharger network in 2025 - it will get much better…

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 08-03-2024 at 10:10 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
AlexCeres (08-03-2024), Dr. G7 (08-04-2024), flygdchman (08-04-2024), Psu82Eric (08-09-2024)
Old 08-04-2024, 02:45 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 590 Likes on 399 Posts

If you're really worried about range, get a Lucid Air and call it a day.
Old 08-04-2024, 07:11 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 322 Likes on 265 Posts

Again, not to get into an argument with one who has 5,506 posts and received 3,844 Likes on 1,873 Posts...

...I understand - I'll humbly argue it's better than you think
…but off major highways it might take more planning than one would want
I live in the boondocks of GA. A second car is necessary if making a trip more than 100 miles (one way.) Which is the minimum distance to "civilization." E.g., a run to Costco. These trips would be fun in the Taycan and I'm POed I leave $175k car in the garage. Prior to GA I was in WI, similar situation. Rural living has lots of advantages, and I prefer the rural living. I also know city-folk consider me a backward hick.

BTW, it does not have to be "Hicksville", if following the Dallas to Austin/Houston, Amarillo thread, on interstate travel, the newest post is " I also went north to go west."

"once porsche EV's have access to supercharger network in 2025 - it will get much better…"

Didn't emperor Elon fire the whole Supercharger team? Some were rehired, nevertheless, I'm sure they are polishing their resumes.

Last edited by Dr. G7; 08-04-2024 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-04-2024, 07:41 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr. G7
Again, not to get into an argument with one who has 5,506 posts and received 3,844 Likes on 1,873 Posts...

I live in the boondocks of GA. A second car is necessary if making a trip more than 100 miles (one way.) Which is the minimum distance to "civilization." E.g., a run to Costco. These trips would be fun in the Taycan and I'm POed I leave $175k car in the garage. Prior to GA I was in WI, similar situation. Rural living has lots of advantages, and I prefer the rural living. I also know city-folk consider me a backward hick.

BTW, it does not have to be "Hicksville", if following the Dallas to Austin/Houston, Amarillo thread, on interstate travel, the newest post is " I also went north to go west."

"once porsche EV's have access to supercharger network in 2025 - it will get much better…"

Didn't emperor Elon fire the whole Supercharger team? Some were rehired, nevertheless, I'm sure they are polishing their resumes.
If you'd like to problem solve I'm happy to help - if you want to argue I'm not going to run up my posting count - you and I both have a history with a clear bias as to our preferences - at least we're both being consistent. I just checked plug-share 100 mile round trip to costco in GA appears to be no problem based on available chargers - but I'm probably wrong

there are those that will work to make things work, and those that just want to give up and let things fail…

I've done over 500,000 miles in EV's since 2011 - it's sometimes taken some effort but i've never been stranded and regardless of Elon firing the team or not the existing supercharger network is vast and effective and still growing even in GA and WI - there are 7 new supercharger sites with 118 stalls in GA alone - under construction as we speak - so somone is still showing up for work…access to that network by all EV's in North America will greatly improve one ability to get most anywhere regardless of your opinion of Elon - again another awkward fact.

you'd probably be better served with a gas car based on your posting history and clear narrative you'd like to push…but you seem to realize that and have an ax to grind.

I'm out for more arguing, but if you'd like help planning some trips I'm sure we can get your Taycan anywhere you need it to go.

it is however a fact that the North American charging infrastructure is not a static thing - it's growing and will continue to grow and get better and more complete over time - as to if it works for any particular owner well it's not a secret and there are numerous resources one can reference to see what the state of affairs is for any region they might be driving…it has been and will continue to get to better not worse - that's the trend. It's already vastly better and offers greater coverage than when I took delivery of my 2020 Taycan Turbo just over 4 years a go - I trip I often take from Ca to Washington was doable, but required creativity in 2020, is now simple and offers multiple options as of 2023 - and by mid 2025 will require no planning or checking.

the new Taycan with it's improved range can easily handle at least 280 miles with out worring about charging and the new Macan is 320 mile vehicle based on early access in real world conditions - so the need for charging away from home now has greater distance and therefore greater access to remote areas lacking access to modern amenities. The Macan is interesting in that properly driven for max milage it can go further than I can drive my 2021 Cayenne eHybrid on a full tank of gas - meaning the number of fast charging stops is about the same as gas stops for a given road trip day…and as mentioned by other posters Porsche is not the benchmark for EV range efficiency - so if you really really need a maximum range EV there are alternative non-Porsche EV's that offer greater range performance than our ICE focused german friends…

again I'm sorry your Taycan has disappointed you - but I'm not entirely sure any EV would make you happy if you're out to find all the flaws.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 08-04-2024 at 08:38 PM.
flygdchman (08-05-2024), Psu82Eric (08-09-2024), ShiftyWolf (08-06-2024), thebishman (08-05-2024)
Old 08-04-2024, 08:18 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

I will be taking delivery of my 2024 Macan Turbo EV @ PECATL in late September/october (finger's crossed I don't control Porsche logistics) and then road tripping it home - I'll be posting my road trip experience and documenting how hard/easy it is to find charging on a trip home from Georgia to California - I'm not going in blind and have war-gamed the trip with multiple routes and it appears to be pretty straight forward

you can all laugh and point at my forum posting documenting the trip when I get the car and do it for myself - I'm sure we'll all learn a lot!
flygdchman (08-05-2024), MingusDew (08-12-2024), thebishman (08-05-2024), tomhartzell (08-05-2024)
Old 08-06-2024, 09:32 AM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spdracerut
If you're really worried about range, get a Lucid Air and call it a day.
the lucid airs do have good range but you must take a 20% haircut on that range if you plan on driving at "normal" highway speeds. take off even more for topographics and climate issues.
in town driving is also not very efficient in the air.
after all the caveats I can get 420 miles of range in my Air GT with 19 inch wheels, I don't know of any EV that can come close to that range.

one thing about being able to drive so far without stopping is that regardless of needing a charge after 3 hours or so I need a potty and stretch break, so having the ability to drive for 5 hours isn't really that great of a thing.
The following users liked this post:
flygdchman (08-07-2024)
Old 08-06-2024, 09:33 AM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I will be taking delivery of my 2024 Macan Turbo EV @ PECATL in late September/october (finger's crossed I don't control Porsche logistics) and then road tripping it home - I'll be posting my road trip experience and documenting how hard/easy it is to find charging on a trip home from Georgia to California - I'm not going in blind and have war-gamed the trip with multiple routes and it appears to be pretty straight forward

you can all laugh and point at my forum posting documenting the trip when I get the car and do it for myself - I'm sure we'll all learn a lot!
as long as you stick to the direct routings you shouldn't have issues on that trip. the one negative about road tripping in an EV is the inability to get off of the main routes and do some exploring along the way.
The following 2 users liked this post by kort677:
daveo4porsche (08-06-2024), flygdchman (08-07-2024)

Quick Reply: Battery Life and Replacement Cost?