Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Life and Replacement Cost?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2024, 09:19 PM
diver110
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

WA and OR are probably equivalent to CA in terms of charging, but go east, different story. Also, as I posted elsewhere, all EVs do more environmental damage off the assembly line that ICEs. Whether EVs make sense, i.e how long it will take to be environmentally ahead, is a function of the size of the EV (bigger takes longer to break even--up to forever for really big) and how clean the electricity is. The best state for electricity that I have found is my home state of WA, but CA and OR are also great. A state I would bet you will not guess: South Dakota (lots of wind farms). WV is all coal. It would not make sense to own an EV there (probably also get you shot ).

As to the Taycan, encouraged by this group, I took a look at one at a dealer while waiting for my Panamera. A salesman helped out. One reservation is that the Taycan is smaller than the Panamera and is not a (semi) hatchback like the Panamera. It seemed a bit less practical to me on first glance, the "trunk" set up seemed clunky. I also asked about the Panamera hybrid. I was told it would not perform as well as my turbo. All in all, a deflating visit.....
Old 08-12-2024, 09:24 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,927 Likes on 1,908 Posts

Originally Posted by diver110
WA and OR are probably equivalent to CA in terms of charging, but go east, different story. Also, as I posted elsewhere, all EVs do more environmental damage off the assembly line that ICEs. Whether EVs make sense, i.e how long it will take to be environmentally ahead, is a function of the size of the EV (bigger takes longer to break even--up to forever for really big) and how clean the electricity is. The best state for electricity that I have found is my home state of WA, but CA and OR are also great. A state I would bet you will not guess: South Dakota (lots of wind farms). WV is all coal. It would not make sense to own an EV there (probably also get you shot ).

As to the Taycan, encouraged by this group, I took a look at one at a dealer while waiting for my Panamera. A salesman helped out. One reservation is that the Taycan is smaller than the Panamera and is not a (semi) hatchback like the Panamera. It seemed a bit less practical to me on first glance, the "trunk" set up seemed clunky. I also asked about the Panamera hybrid. I was told it would not perform as well as my turbo. All in all, a deflating visit.....
you're claims are dubious and well worn and debunked - the Taycan is a sports sedan and lacks the room of the Panamera no doubt - the eHybrid is very satisfying to drive if you give it a try - but we'll have ICE vehicle's for longer than anyone thinks, wants, or can fantasize about - in all honestly we're not close to losing them

https://blog.greenenergyconsumers.or...s-vs.-gasoline

1/2 through he warranty period an EV is "ahead" of a ICE vehicle on total emissions - about 20k miles…after that it's all better for the remainder - the calc's below are against a 32 mpg vehicle - I'd venture your Panamera Turbo is not a 32 mpg vehicle - so the EV "benefit" would come sooner - possibility in the first year…

did you try the Taycan sedan or CT - the sedan is quite tight on space both cargo and passenger volume - it's a low tight sporty sedan.

so you'll be happy for a while - a lot of people like driving EV's and they can be quite fun.

enjoy your Turbo.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 08-12-2024 at 09:29 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
Der-Schwabe (08-13-2024), flygdchman (08-12-2024), FmrMacanOwner (08-13-2024)
Old 08-19-2024, 12:23 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,810 Likes on 1,104 Posts

I think the battery replacement on my taycan would be less than it cost to rebuild the engine on my 71 :-) That was eye watering.

My opinion: hybrids are the worst option. more complication, more to break, more to repair, for modestly better economy but over time likely little ROI

Get gas, or get electric. Choose what fits your use case and lifestyle.

I'll die on this hill: if you can live with the range / charging inconvenience for long trips, electric is a much better daily driver experience. It will be hard for me to go back.

The one thing I despise on the taycan is the crazy depreciation, which I should have expected given "large German sedan" but it just makes the point these are not financial decisions but experiences, and its a really really good car.

Was out driving one of my 911s yesterday and had to put gas in it. I don't think I'd been to a gas station in 3 months :-)

The following 2 users liked this post by Spyerx:
daveo4porsche (08-19-2024), flygdchman (Yesterday)
Old 08-19-2024, 04:00 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I think the battery replacement on my taycan would be less than it cost to rebuild the engine on my 71 :-) That was eye watering.

My opinion: hybrids are the worst option. more complication, more to break, more to repair, for modestly better economy but over time likely little ROI

I'll die on this hill: if you can live with the range / charging inconvenience for long trips, electric is a much better daily driver experience. It will be hard for me to go back.

The one thing I despise on the taycan is the crazy depreciation, which I should have expected given "large German sedan" but it just makes the point these are not financial decisions but experiences, and its a really really good car.

Was out driving one of my 911s yesterday and had to put gas in it. I don't think I'd been to a gas station in 3 months :-)
love this post - it _IS_ hard to go back once you've gone electric - I know I've been living that since March of 2024 (no full EV) - waiting for my Macan EV…EV for daily driver and occasional road trips - Hybrid is ok - but I'm simply biding time for a Cayenne full EV - gas cars for the track and "fun"…

a good EV ruins you for gas cars - most of which are crap by comparison - even with 600+ HP Dino-horses - there is _NO_ substitute for _INSTANT_ magnetic torque…it's just addicting.

charge at home and never use "public/commerical" infrastructure is also very addicting…

more people would love EV's if they are given a proper chance.
The following 4 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
flygdchman (Yesterday), kort677 (Today), Psu82Eric (08-20-2024), thebishman (08-19-2024)
Old 08-19-2024, 06:31 PM
diver110
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx

Unfortunately, I don't want to go smaller than a Panamera. I also like its (semi) hatchback design, which the Taycan does not have. Kind of odd the way the designed the Taycan's trunk. Is that related to the battery placement? I too have often wondered about whether a hybrid is the worst of both worlds. How have your maintenance expenses been? No oil changes and no spark plugs might save the better part of $10,000 over the first 100,000 miles.
Old 08-19-2024, 06:36 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Unfortunately, I don't want to go smaller than a Panamera. I also like its (semi) hatchback design, which the Taycan does not have. Kind of odd the way the designed the Taycan's trunk. Is that related to the battery placement? I too have often wondered about whether a hybrid is the worst of both worlds. How have your maintenance expenses been? No oil changes and no spark plugs might save the better part of $10,000 over the first 100,000 miles.
given that my 2021 Cayenne ehybrid just pop'd oil change in 1000 miles this week (this will be the 4th oil change - 37k mile) - I'm also wondering about hybrid given ongoing ICE maintenance - the minute the EV Cayenne is out I'm swapping - Cayenne is CPO until 2027 - but after that I'm back to full eV - either the Cayenne or BMW if they fix some styling issues…

Cayenne Hybrid was the only thing even close to the performance a P100D Tesla Model X in 2020/2021 when we were swapping away from the Tesla - no good eV at the time (eTron is too slow and limited range) - if BMW had been out then I'd probably be rocking one of those. But the Cayenne will be the last daily-driver ICE if have my way…

gas for "fun" only - EV for everything else!

I'd be considering a Taycan GTS ST if the Macan EV Turbo was not an option - no loss of performance or handling "feel" (about the same CG) and much better back seat and cargo area vs. the pure-sedan.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 08-19-2024 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-19-2024, 06:41 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

the BMW iX sedan has the hatch design you and I both like -and having spent the day with the BMW Sedan EV I can say "they didn't screw it up" - it's a real contender - but I'm not ready to abandon Porsche for EV yet…and I like me some Porsche brakes - but the BMW stuff is worth a look and is well done IMHO.
The following users liked this post:
flygdchman (Yesterday)
Old 08-20-2024, 03:12 AM
wild
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This article gives you an idea of ICE vs EV over the long term.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...s-even-greener

"Electric models are far cleaner over time, but they don’t cross the carbon rubicon until they’ve been on the road awhile. In the US, it takes a little more than two years — about 25,000 miles (40,000 kilometers) of driving — to reach that threshold, according to recent BloombergNEF research. "

April 2024 Bloomberg

Last edited by wild; 08-20-2024 at 03:15 AM.
Old Yesterday, 08:18 PM
flygdchman
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

I've done the comparison for an S Class vs an EQS and come up with as similar break even point.
Old Yesterday, 08:51 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flygdchman
I've done the comparison for an S Class vs an EQS and come up with as similar break even point.
for the most part cars at at least 10 year items if not 20 years- battery warranty being 8 years/100,000 miles - the break even point is less than 1/4 of the battery warraty in terms of "impact"…vs. gas car and this will only get better over time (it's already gotten better since 2011)…you're not even 1/2 way through your normal warranty before it's better than a gas car and only 2/3rd through a normal 3 year lease…

but I still prefer them for daily drivers vs. gas cars…

but had a great time with my GT3 @ laguna seca yesterday!!

Quick Reply: Battery Life and Replacement Cost?