Sponsored by:

Loud sound / whirring in 1st gear

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2024, 09:53 PM
speed77
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Loud sound / whirring in 1st gear

Anyone have this issue when at the higher end of 1st gear? Is it normal? Feel like when I’m hitting 40-55mph there’s a loud whirring sound from the battery. It’s silent in 2nd gear. Not sure if this is normal.

also, after 1300miles PSCB are starting to have brake squeak but that’s life I guess.
The following users liked this post:
RingoDingo (05-22-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 06:44 PM
RingoDingo
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

There have been a number of threads in other places addressing this noise. It's typically described as a low hum or drone that starts around 40MPH (in Sport or Sport+ only) in first gear and stops once the car kicks into second gear. Apparently heard only in the base and 4S models, which have the smaller drivetrains. Very, very common and Porsche claims it is "normal" though I find the noise annoying. There's a guy on another forum that was a noise and vibration designer for GM who think it has something to do with the mesh in the transmission amplifying the sound waves and creating this loud noise. You can get a new motor or whatever, but it's just as likely to happen again as it seems to relate to the design, rather than anything being wrong per se or malfunctioning. I'm planning to learn to live with it, though I have it on record with the dealer should anything actually go wrong in the future.
Old 05-22-2024, 07:51 PM
speed77
Racer

Originally Posted by RingoDingo
There have been a number of threads in other places addressing this noise. It's typically described as a low hum or drone that starts around 40MPH (in Sport or Sport+ only) in first gear and stops once the car kicks into second gear. Apparently heard only in the base and 4S models, which have the smaller drivetrains. Very, very common and Porsche claims it is "normal" though I find the noise annoying. There's a guy on another forum that was a noise and vibration designer for GM who think it has something to do with the mesh in the transmission amplifying the sound waves and creating this loud noise. You can get a new motor or whatever, but it's just as likely to happen again as it seems to relate to the design, rather than anything being wrong per se or malfunctioning. I'm planning to learn to live with it, though I have it on record with the dealer should anything actually go wrong in the future.
thanks for the info. Not annoying enough for a new engine. But it is annoying. I’ve got a turbo so suprised
RingoDingo (05-22-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 08:04 PM
RingoDingo
Advanced

Interesting - could be general design but maybe more common with the lower end models. Anyway, not worth a new drivetrain... there's a guy that had the whole rear drivetrain replaced by Porsche and then it was quiet for a while and the sound came back in the new drivetrain (again, implying a design flaw rather than an individual issue). I didn't notice this until a while into ownership, so either it was there all along and I never noticed it or it became more prominent a few thousand miles in. It's like a droning sound, right? The key is it comes on around 40MPH only in first gear and then goes as soon as the car kicks to second.
Old 05-22-2024, 08:15 PM
speed77
Racer

Interesting - could be general design but maybe more common with the lower end models. Anyway, not worth a new drivetrain... there's a guy that had the whole rear drivetrain replaced by Porsche and then it was quiet for a while and the sound came back in the new drivetrain (again, implying a design flaw rather than an individual issue). I didn't notice this until a while into ownership, so either it was there all along and I never noticed it or it became more prominent a few thousand miles in. It's like a droning sound, right? The key is it comes on around 40MPH only in first gear and then goes as soon as the car kicks to second.
Yup this exactly. Right around 40 mph
RingoDingo (05-22-2024)
Old 05-23-2024, 02:08 PM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 159 Posts

almost all of the very early tesla model Ss had to have their drive units replaced because of similar noises but at far lower speeds. maybe the drive units need to be checked
Old 05-23-2024, 05:27 PM
RingoDingo
Advanced

Maybe, but I think they would have done so by now or there would be some kind of service bulletin on it. The service people at Porsche Austin, which I suspect probably has sold more Taycans than any dealership outside of California, were 100% unfamiliar with the issue - I had to go on multiple ride-alongs before they could hear what I'm hearing -- it's very subtle, but very recognizable and consistent once heard. I suspect its some kind of resonance from the design, rather than anything being "broken" per se - just an unattractive sound.
Old 05-26-2024, 03:04 PM
Jeffery_
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kort677
almost all of the very early tesla model Ss had to have their drive units replaced because of similar noises but at far lower speeds. maybe the drive units need to be checked
I guess it is important they look into that
Old 05-26-2024, 03:10 PM
RingoDingo
Advanced

Unless these drivetrains are all ticking time bombs, I suspect this is all just aesthetics (i.e., an unattractive sound noticeable only to those keen to hear it) rather than a mechanical fault or failure in waiting per se -- given that there isn't any precedent for what a two speed transmission in a Porsche EV is supposed to sound like, I'm not sure we have much leverage if Porsche says it's "normal" because... I mean... normal compared to every other Porsche Taycan? Maybe they have a point?
Old 05-26-2024, 05:23 PM
speed77
Racer

Unless these drivetrains are all ticking time bombs, I suspect this is all just aesthetics (i.e., an unattractive sound noticeable only to those keen to hear it) rather than a mechanical fault or failure in waiting per se -- given that there isn't any precedent for what a two speed transmission in a Porsche EV is supposed to sound like, I'm not sure we have much leverage if Porsche says it's "normal" because... I mean... normal compared to every other Porsche Taycan? Maybe they have a point?
Im on a one year lease with a dealer I have a very good relationship with. Not super worried. If drivetrain goes, it goes. Seems like a lot to try and diagnose just to potentially have the same issue.
Old 05-29-2024, 01:07 PM
On_Your_Left
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the issue as well on my '21 Turbo S. It's currently at the dealer where both the rear diff and transmission are being replaced. I've read the other threads where the issue is known to return, but I figured I'd try this once and see what happens. Will report back if the sound returns.
Old 05-29-2024, 01:42 PM
RingoDingo
Advanced

Yes, please do report back - both whether the replacement solves the issue and then again if it comes back. I've heard of both things happening post-replacement, which would certainly incentivize me not to bother.

Quick Reply: Loud sound / whirring in 1st gear