Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2024, 09:52 PM
PoscheNewb
Track Day

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Taycan charging question

Hello Rennlist community!

I have 2 questions about Taycan Charging:

1) Should I max daily use charging to 85% per Porsche general profile setting or 80% as recommended by many EV frontiers?

2) Is it bad/not recommended to top off your battery every night? I hear some wait until 25%~30% battery state before charging and some that start with 85% every morning.

Thank you in advance!
The following users liked this post:
abdulsamee (05-27-2024)
Old 05-12-2024, 10:24 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,720 Likes on 1,822 Posts

as long as you're not fast charging multiple time a week and not 100% - 80 v.s 85% and charging daily is inconsequential in the life of the battery…when people ask these questions I'm nor sure what they are optimizing for - LiON lose total capacity when "abused" - the total loss of capacity bewtween now and the end of the 8 year/100,000 mile warranty is impossible to attribute to any charging behavior (beyond frequent 100% and fast charging)

what will abuse your battery is leaving it mostly fully charged and leaving the battery out in a hot parking lot for weeks at a time…

80 vs. 85% - inconseqential
charge daily vs. weekly - in consequential

fast charging multiple times/week - consequential
leaving the battery nearly full or full and parking it for weeks at a time in hot weather - consequential…
The following 3 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
PierreTT (05-29-2024), PoscheNewb (05-13-2024), thebishman (05-13-2024)
Old 05-12-2024, 10:34 PM
gtm
Track Day

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

According to one expert the answer is none of the above.

50% is the best level with multiple small charges.
Long video but lots of detailed science as opposed to unsubstantiated internet "facts".
However the conclusion is that batteries are pretty robust and unless you are abusing them different charging practices don't make a huge difference.

Last edited by gtm; 05-12-2024 at 10:38 PM.
Old 05-13-2024, 11:18 AM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by gtm
According to one expert the answer is none of the above.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i31x5JW361k&t=7s

50% is the best level with multiple small charges.
Long video but lots of detailed science as opposed to unsubstantiated internet "facts".
However the conclusion is that batteries are pretty robust and unless you are abusing them different charging practices don't make a huge difference.
did not look at this but the comment about 50% is nonsense
Old 05-13-2024, 11:26 AM
gtm
Track Day

So you didn't look at empirical testing data provided by a PhD battery engineer but you know "50% is nonsense". Nice to draw conclusions without watching. He doesn't say 50% is vital to maintaining battery health but is the best level long term. Deviating from that has a pretty small effect but does have an effect. Not nonsense but rather a test data supported conclusion.
Old 05-17-2024, 11:10 AM
ShiftyWolf
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by gtm
So you didn't look at empirical testing data provided by a PhD battery engineer but you know "50% is nonsense". Nice to draw conclusions without watching. He doesn't say 50% is vital to maintaining battery health but is the best level long term. Deviating from that has a pretty small effect but does have an effect. Not nonsense but rather a test data supported conclusion.
I did watch the entire video - it is interesting to the nerd in me - but I don't remember hearing him suggest 50% SOC as optimal. He definitely said charging to 75% was a sweet spot for battery longevity if you don't need more for your daily commute. Do you remember whereabouts was the 50% recommendation discussed?

Thanks
Old 05-17-2024, 12:03 PM
PoscheNewb
Track Day

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ShiftyWolf
I did watch the entire video - it is interesting to the nerd in me - but I don't remember hearing him suggest 50% SOC as optimal. He definitely said charging to 75% was a sweet spot for battery longevity if you don't need more for your daily commute. Do you remember whereabouts was the 50% recommendation discussed?

Thanks
What an amazing video! I zoned out around 40 minute mark but it was very interesting and helpful. For the portion I did watch, my take away is that 40-60% charge/discharge is the healthy way to go about it if you have home charging and short daily commutes. I also think the expert said way to avoid "microcracking" is to charge when you can and avoid long charge. I think what I will do is top off at 75% for daily use as my daily commute is 50 miles round trip from work to home with occasional random errands. I probably could do 60% daily top off but being new to EV with "range anxiety" still looming in my head, I will do 75% and maybe go down to 60% later on.

Thank you everyone for all the great input!!!
Old 05-17-2024, 12:50 PM
gtm
Track Day

Thanks
I'd have to watch it again to find the 50%. From what I remember his real world recommendation was small charges with the center of the range used at 50%, not necessarily charging to 50% (i.e. 60% down to 40% if that fits your daily use pattern).

Edit: So I watched it again. The 50% figure did not come from this video. The benefits of small charge/discharge cycles did. 70% to 45% is what he recommends in his summary (41:30 of the video) so he's centering the daily charge/discharge cycle around 57.5% for minimizing battery degradation. Next time I won't rely on my marginal memory before posting a figure.

Last edited by gtm; 05-17-2024 at 02:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ShiftyWolf (05-18-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 04:37 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 182 Posts

Watched the video, wondering if the Taycan battery uses single crystal or not, that would have some bearing on how to charge.
Thought is was Kyle Conner that mentioned what the J1.1 battery chemistry is compared to the J1.2, but can't find the reference.
Looks like the 2020 is NMC712 (it changed in 2021);
https://www.batterydesign.net/lg-e66a/
Old 05-27-2024, 02:47 AM
abdulsamee
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello , I recommend charging your Taycan based on your usage patterns: i.e. for daily use, charge your vehicle at home to 85% once the battery level reaches 25%. This helps maintain battery health and prolongs its lifespan. i wouldn't recommend charging the vehicle every day to 85% or 100%. it totally depends on your driving plan.
, for weekly use for long trips like once a week longer than 100 km, charging it to 95-100% will not harm the battery, & lastly when you are using high-power DC chargers, limit charging to 85%.
I hope this helps.
Old 05-27-2024, 04:02 PM
ShiftyWolf
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by abdulsamee
Hello , I recommend charging your Taycan based on your usage patterns: i.e. for daily use, charge your vehicle at home to 85% once the battery level reaches 25%. This helps maintain battery health and prolongs its lifespan.
Where did you get this advice from? It is specifically at odds with all the scientific studies I've seen that say to limit charging to 25% SOC deltas. Not trying to be rude, but your suggestion just doesn't match up to common wisdom for modern EV battery charging.
Old 05-27-2024, 05:03 PM
abdulsamee
3rd Gear

Where did you get this advice from? It is specifically at odds with all the scientific studies I've seen that say to limit charging to 25% SOC deltas. Not trying to be rude, but your suggestion just doesn't match up to common wisdom for modern EV battery charging.
Hello,
To me it is simple to understand. it is recommended not to always charge it to 100% or let it drain below 25%. Keeping the battery within moderate charge levels helps reduce stress and prolong its lifespan. as you may know in both conditions when you are charging the battery heats up. and temperature is very crucial for the EV Battery.
You can also see tips for charging the Taycan. Ideal charging - Porsche Newsroom (https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/prod...ps-tricks.html)
In the end it always depends on user. how he /she treats the battery and its charging.
Old 05-27-2024, 05:32 PM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by abdulsamee
Hello,
To me it is simple to understand. it is recommended not to always charge it to 100% or let it drain below 25%. Keeping the battery within moderate charge levels helps reduce stress and prolong its lifespan. as you may know in both conditions when you are charging the battery heats up. and temperature is very crucial for the EV Battery.
You can also see tips for charging the Taycan. Ideal charging - Porsche Newsroom (https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/prod...ps-tricks.html)
In the end it always depends on user. how he /she treats the battery and its charging.
that's not quite right.
you can charge your car every day to 100% and you could let it go below 25% SOC every day if that is what your driving needs are.

the problems arise when you allow the car to sit at such high or low SOCs for extended periods of time.

if you are someone who drives 200+ miles a day you would be over and under those SOCs, and you'd have no issues as long as you drive the car soon after getting to 100% and recharge it ASAP when below 20%
Old 05-28-2024, 01:33 AM
abdulsamee
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by kort677
that's not quite right.
you can charge your car every day to 100% and you could let it go below 25% SOC every day if that is what your driving needs are.

the problems arise when you allow the car to sit at such high or low SOCs for extended periods of time.

if you are someone who drives 200+ miles a day you would be over and under those SOCs, and you'd have no issues as long as you drive the car soon after getting to 100% and recharge it ASAP when below 20%
Hello, OfCourse you are correct. again, it is up to you how you prefer to maintain it. there is no right or wrong practice. i shared the information what manifacturer suggests and with my experience.
Ideal charging - Porsche Newsroom (https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/prod...ps-tricks.html)..
-Shorter Journeys Everday >> 85% is sufficient
-Longer Journey Everyday >> 100%
-Avoid charging the car to 100% with HPDC every day as it is harmful to battery health.
it is up to you what you classify as shorter journey and longer journey. Also, if you want to be very specific, you need to take the ambient temperature & pre-heat/cool in consideration as well.

again. it's just a suggestion. the battery health can degrade depends on usage and it depends on the user how he/she takes care of it.
i would always prefer to follow manifacturer's recommendation because they are the one who engineered the product.

Quick Reply: Taycan charging question