Sponsored by:

Strange Braking Issue at Slow Speed - Seek Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2024, 10:29 PM
Kansas911
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Strange Braking Issue at Slow Speed - Seek Feedback

I'm on my fourth Taycan (three Turbo Ss and one Turbo S Cross Turismo). On my newest (2024), I notice that when I am coming to a stop, at a normal gradual speed, and I hit about 8 MPH (on my way to a complete stop at a stop sign or stop light), the brake pedal starts having a strange vibrating feel and there is a noticeable noise in the cabin. It stops once I come to a complete stop. It does this EVERY TIME I come to a complete stop at a gradual pace.

The vibrating almost has a sort of ABS type feel, albeit much less. And the noise just doesn't feel like something you would hear in a $200K car.

I took it in to my Porsche dealer. I explained I never noticed this on the other three, so it definitely felt like something is wrong. And what I hate the most is it gives me an "out of control" feel at a low speed like I am going to hit something.

Dealer says this is perfectly normal, that it has something to do with the way Porsche implemented braking on the car. Gave me back the car. Said I should try to give it time and "bed in the ceramic brakes".

I am calling BS on this - I need to just probably test drive a new car on the lot and if it doesn't do it, then they can fix the darn thing.

The service guy said there is a service bulletin on this that it is normal. I should have asked him to show me the bulletin.

I am hoping one of two things from this forum

1. No one else has experienced this ever - which means my car is broken and needs to be fixed but then I won't have this issue any longer
2. Everyone else is experiencing this issue and I will just sell the darn thing and move on.

I'll try to go test drive one tomorrow and try to recreate.

It is not really noticeable if you slam the brakes and come to a complete stop. But if you are saying at even as low as 15 MPH and just press the brakes like you want to come to a nice smooth stop at a light - when the Speedometer hits about 8MPH the pedal vibrates and a noise is heard in the car and then it goes away once the car comes to a complete stop - every single time.

My gut says something is wrong with my car - I never noticed it on the other three and I feel like I notice everything :-)

Thank you for your feedback!
Old 01-31-2024, 12:24 AM
Kansas911
Rennlist Member

Ended up finding this guy's post on another forum and this is EXACTLY the issue I am having. So I am hopeful that my dealer will not give me the brush off and try bleeding the brakes or replacing the brake booster. Thankfully that fixed it for the other person!

Resolved - Braking Issue/PSM Failure, with Video

Hopefully my test drive tomorrow will confirm it doesn't do what my Taycan is doing and they will be willing to try to fix!
Old 01-31-2024, 02:03 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Nope. Ceramics here. No inappropriate stuttering or noise at slow speed or with gradual stops. If the brakes are very cold and wet, then it can be actual ABS.
Old 01-31-2024, 10:34 AM
Kansas911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
Nope. Ceramics here. No inappropriate stuttering or noise at slow speed or with gradual stops. If the brakes are very cold and wet, then it can be actual ABS.
I’m not sure I understand what you are saying. What does “nope” referring to? Thanks!
Old 01-31-2024, 02:03 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 421 Likes on 245 Posts

This definitely sounds as if there’s a malfunction during the Regeneration to Mechanical braking ‘handoff’ occurs. I would not accept ‘they all do that’ from your dealership, (Aristocrat?). Make them investigate and fix the damn car, especially as you are obviously a frequent purchaser.

Good luck!
Old 01-31-2024, 08:48 PM
Kansas911
Rennlist Member

Brake booster ordered! Once it comes in I'll take it in to have the booster replaced and (assume) the brakes bled. Hoping it will be good as new!
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (01-31-2024)
Old 02-04-2024, 10:52 PM
weberlukas74
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas911
Ended up finding this guy's post on another forum and this is EXACTLY the issue I am having. So I am hopeful that my dealer will not give me the brush off and try bleeding the brakes or replacing the brake booster. Thankfully that fixed it for the other person!

Resolved - Braking Issue/PSM Failure, with Video

Hopefully my test drive tomorrow will confirm it doesn't do what my Taycan is doing and they will be willing to try to fix!
Besides the test drive, give the brakes a go in various situations during your test drive – play around with different speeds, how hard you brake, and the type of surface you're on. It could help you figure out when the problem shows up the most. And if you can, jot down the conditions when the issue pops up.

Quick Reply: Strange Braking Issue at Slow Speed - Seek Feedback