Sponsored by:

Thoughts on the new electric Macan?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2024 | 10:40 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zhao
I stand corrected.
I wouldn't say it's going to be much nicer inside though as it's a very similar interior for layout and style and newer doesn't mean better. For example the 992 interior was a downgrade IMO on quality vs a 991.2.
And 991 a downgrade from the 997. Drove my 997.1 RS a bunch. This is a 53k mile car, lots of track use, race car (ie no rubber at all in it) suspension, race shocks (onlins ttx), roll bar, race shell seats, slammed 2" off the pavement.

Guess how many rattles is has.

Zero.

My old 991 rattled like a diesel truck.

Originally Posted by Zhao
good resource for comparison but their range stats don't make sense. They're claiming my EV gets over 600km range in ideal conditions but that'll never happen; that'd require sub 100wh/km to achieve which is just not possible. Their cold weather losses don't make sense either. City my average was about 130wh/km in moderate temps in the city. Cold range for me in the city at -10 is about 200wh/km and that is if I leave a warm garage. Looks like they're claiming <140wh/km in -10.
Clearly the solution is to not live in the frozen tundra of Alberta. Your use case doesn't work for EV. Stick to Gas.

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
At around 92k MSRP for a Macan EV base, I can't see the case for it over an Ioniq 5 (or EV6), which is nearly 40% cheaper and about 30% more EV.
Just can't.
I could also get a BRZ or whatever that toybaru thing is called or was called, instead of a GT3. Hm.
Old 01-29-2024 | 11:29 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Originally Posted by bluelines1974
I have an Ioniq 5 as my daily. I've had it for almost two years now and it's been almost completely reliable (minor issue with the heated / cooled seats early on). The interior space is great, and the range has mostly been better than the official numbers. I might consider the Macan EV, but in the cold light of day, I'd be picking a less practical car for a huge premium, simply for the added interior sophistication and obviously much sharper driving dynamics. Given that we have the Taycan ST as my wife's daily driver, and she is not a fan of the Macan's styling, we'll almost certainly pass. It's nice to have a reliable car you really don't care about, and the Ioniq fits that bill pretty well.

If I got a new premium EV, it would likely be the Q6 e-tron avant, or maybe the Range Rover EV. Most likely I will just keep the Ioniq, and continue my search for the right 997 GTS manual to relieve the tedium of daily driving the Ioniq!
Totally get that. The Kia has been the same, sister has the Ionic 5 and feels the same. I just want the Porsche for all the things the Kia isn't. It's a luxury purchase and makes no economic sense. Very few of my car purchases ever have!
The following 3 users liked this post by tstafford:
bluelines1974 (01-29-2024), ShiftyWolf (01-29-2024), usctrojanGT3 (01-29-2024)
Old 01-29-2024 | 11:47 AM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

One modern EV that is being forgotten re: ability to drive a true 300 mile range is the BMW iX. My M60, loaded cost $120K, will easily go 300 miles at an average highway speed of 70 mph in optimal ambient conditions, and many owners of the iX50 can get close to 400 miles of range at 70 mph average in those same optimum ambient temps. This without ‘hypermiling’ btw.

Yes, the looks are polarising; I get that but the more I drive the car the more impressive it becomes. Oh, and the current lease deals are excellent. So, just another option to consider.
The following users liked this post:
daveo4porsche (01-29-2024)
Old 01-29-2024 | 12:45 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thebishman
One modern EV that is being forgotten re: ability to drive a true 300 mile range is the BMW iX. My M60, loaded cost $120K, will easily go 300 miles at an average highway speed of 70 mph in optimal ambient conditions, and many owners of the iX50 can get close to 400 miles of range at 70 mph average in those same optimum ambient temps. This without ‘hypermiling’ btw.

Yes, the looks are polarising; I get that but the more I drive the car the more impressive it becomes. Oh, and the current lease deals are excellent. So, just another option to consider.
I would love to lease an EV as my business vehicle but alas I rack up 20k-30k a year so I can't do it without getting wacked on the mileage limitation. So I have to outright purchase the cars (no longer finance due to the higher interest rates) and I churn through the cars every 18 months or so because I don't want to be out of warranty.
Old 01-29-2024 | 12:48 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

As a former M4 owner, I gave serious consideration to the line of BMW EV’s…had a hard time getting past the grill. For me, it’s always been form over function.

300 miles I believe, but close to 400 miles, I don’t (not without some serious hypermileing).

For comparative purposes:

https://ev-database.org/car/1473/BMW-iX-xDrive50 and https://ev-database.org/car/1590/BMW-iX-M60

C&D’s range test at 75mph (for both cars). I view C&D test of cars to be the “gold standard”

https://www.caranddriver.com/bmw/ix#

Entry-level xDrive50 models offer 516 horsepower but, in true BMW fashion, there's a performance oriented M60 trim with 610 ponies. Driven sedately, the iX can motor on for over 300 miles between charges; in our testing both models only delivered 290 miles of highway driving, which is still more than we could muster in the Audi e-tron and the Rivian R1S.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 01-29-2024 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-29-2024 | 12:49 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thebishman
Yes, the looks are polarising; Yes, it looks like a manga character was kicked in the face and then beat with the ugly stick, I get that, but the more I drive the car the more impressive it becomes, from the inside only. Oh, and the current lease deals are excellent, because of the said looks people don't want to be caught dead driving it. So, just another option to consider.

FIFY
Old 01-29-2024 | 02:17 PM
bluelines1974
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hitmonlee
So are we comparing the Macan EV with Ioniq 5/EV6/Polestar 4 just like how we compare the ICE Macan with GLC/X3/Q5? You always get "more" car with less money if you take the non-Porsche option but that didn't/doesn't stop people from buying the ICE Macan.

Or is this time different because it's an EV?
I do think it is somewhat different because it's an EV. While of course the Porsche will handle and steer better than the competition, EV powertrains feel relatively much more similar to one another than ICE equivalents. Electric motors have instant torque, they are silent and linear, and so on. The "Porsche magic" has more work to do to justify the price here. In the case of the Taycan, it got to be virtually in a class of its own, kind of like the 911 and to a lesser extent the Panamera. The Macan won't have that luxury just because of how much more clearly defined the compact SUV market is.
The following 2 users liked this post by bluelines1974:
CodyBigdog (01-29-2024), hitmonlee (01-29-2024)
Old 01-29-2024 | 04:08 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

I do think it is somewhat different because it's an EV. While of course the Porsche will handle and steer better than the competition, EV powertrains feel relatively much more similar to one another than ICE equivalents. Electric motors have instant torque, they are silent and linear, and so on. The "Porsche magic" has more work to do to justify the price here. In the case of the Taycan, it got to be virtually in a class of its own, kind of like the 911 and to a lesser extent the Panamera. The Macan won't have that luxury just because of how much more clearly defined the compact SUV market is.
I can’t speak to the demographics of who the Macan is aimed at, but can speak to the interests and passion of my own wife, who would be the primary user.

She is the one in the family who mostly drives our SUV (Lexus SUV 350). She is not interested (so much) in how fast it is, or how agile the handling is. She doesn’t want the typical ginormous SUV that half the neighborhood women drive. She does like her creature comforts, like heated and vented seats and heated steering wheel, and that it easily accommodates our 85 lbs Golden. Also, being the more practical one in the family, she is NOT interested in paying top dollar just because it has Porsche on the back. She put no guard-rails on what I paid for the 992 because well, she knew that was my car, and agreed because it was my “one vice” (besides boating).

I personally think the Macan EV is a good looking and interesting EV. Range and charging speed, while not the most important attributes for us, fall within the numbers that make it a candidate. It checks most of my wife’s boxes, with the exception of the premium price.

About an hour ago I visited my SA that sold me the 992. He said they should have the Macan available to test drive by late Spring/early Summer. As of now, there is no wait list, or premium over the MSRP.
AlexCeres (01-30-2024)
Old 01-29-2024 | 07:24 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
I can’t speak to the demographics of who the Macan is aimed at, but can speak to the interests and passion of my own wife, who would be the primary user.

She is the one in the family who mostly drives our SUV (Lexus SUV 350). She is not interested (so much) in how fast it is, or how agile the handling is. She doesn’t want the typical ginormous SUV that half the neighborhood women drive. She does like her creature comforts, like heated and vented seats and heated steering wheel, and that it easily accommodates our 85 lbs Golden. Also, being the more practical one in the family, she is NOT interested in paying top dollar just because it has Porsche on the back. She put no guard-rails on what I paid for the 992 because well, she knew that was my car, and agreed because it was my “one vice” (besides boating).

I personally think the Macan EV is a good looking and interesting EV. Range and charging speed, while not the most important attributes for us, fall within the numbers that make it a candidate. It checks most of my wife’s boxes, with the exception of the premium price.

About an hour ago I visited my SA that sold me the 992. He said they should have the Macan available to test drive by late Spring/early Summer. As of now, there is no wait list, or premium over the MSRP.
This exactly.

People who are shopping for a 911 versus another sportscar (say, a Corvette) do so as much based on performance as practicality -- probably more the former than the latter. Hence, the willingness to pay a premium. Because when it comes to performance and driving dynamics, the whole is really oftentimes greater than the sum of the parts. Which is why people will pay a premium for Porsche magical dust.

But when it comes to an EV, for most people (maybe not those on Rennlist so much, but then we are from from a good random sampling of the general Porsche consuming public) it's a utilitarian vehicle. A glorified golf cart with windows, if you will. They just want their EVs to get them from Point A to B and back to A in the most effortless and painless way possible. For that kind of intended use, the Porsche magical dust that makes the 911 so sublime is lost on the EV buyer, and is largely an affectation at best, and at worst, irrelevant.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
bluelines1974 (01-30-2024), CodyBigdog (01-29-2024)
Old 01-29-2024 | 09:41 PM
tstafford
Race Car

I'd been off of RL for a year or so. It's truly like a soap opera - I've returned and it's as if I haven't missed a thing.
The following 2 users liked this post by tstafford:
justabout (01-30-2024), usctrojanGT3 (01-29-2024)
Old 01-29-2024 | 10:04 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
This exactly.

People who are shopping for a 911 versus another sportscar (say, a Corvette) do so as much based on performance as practicality -- probably more the former than the latter. Hence, the willingness to pay a premium. Because when it comes to performance and driving dynamics, the whole is really oftentimes greater than the sum of the parts. Which is why people will pay a premium for Porsche magical dust.

But when it comes to an EV, for most people (maybe not those on Rennlist so much, but then we are from from a good random sampling of the general Porsche consuming public) it's a utilitarian vehicle. A glorified golf cart with windows, if you will. They just want their EVs to get them from Point A to B and back to A in the most effortless and painless way possible. For that kind of intended use, the Porsche magical dust that makes the 911 so sublime is lost on the EV buyer, and is largely an affectation at best, and at worst, irrelevant.
Agreed. This is why I fought to get a 991.2 GT3 and do it via ED so I could track it on the Ring and drive amazing roads in Europe.
This is why I'm spending 255K, (after ADM and taxes), on a PTS Spyder RS, because it is the last car of its kind from Porsche and nothing like it is still being made by any other company.

In contrast, my daily driver for the past 4.5 years has been a Tesla model 3 Performance. It is fast, functional, cheap to own and charge, and very durable over 65k miles. It is just a beater though, a glorified golf cart. I don't care what mess my dog makes in it, what scratches it gets etc, and where it is parked. The M3P has its advantages for daily driving and racking up miles,, but it certainly doesn't have soul like my 991.2 GT3 and incoming Spyder RS.

I'm just not convinced I can pay the Porsche tax for a six figure EV, particularly an EV that will likely be worth half its value in 2 years. I may just continue to drive the wheels off my M3P during the week, so I can play on the weekends with my GT3 and Spyder RS.

Last edited by Drifting; 01-29-2024 at 10:07 PM.
daveo4porsche (01-29-2024)
Old 01-29-2024 | 10:36 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tstafford
I'd been off of RL for a year or so. It's truly like a soap opera - I've returned and it's as if I haven't missed a thing.
I come back for the LOLs and to bash stealers.
Old 01-29-2024 | 11:09 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Drifting
Agreed. This is why I fought to get a 991.2 GT3 and do it via ED so I could track it on the Ring and drive amazing roads in Europe.
This is why I'm spending 255K, (after ADM and taxes), on a PTS Spyder RS, because it is the last car of its kind from Porsche and nothing like it is still being made by any other company.

In contrast, my daily driver for the past 4.5 years has been a Tesla model 3 Performance. It is fast, functional, cheap to own and charge, and very durable over 65k miles. It is just a beater though, a glorified golf cart. I don't care what mess my dog makes in it, what scratches it gets etc, and where it is parked. The M3P has its advantages for daily driving and racking up miles,, but it certainly doesn't have soul like my 991.2 GT3 and incoming Spyder RS.

I'm just not convinced I can pay the Porsche tax for a six figure EV, particularly an EV that will likely be worth half its value in 2 years. I may just continue to drive the wheels off my M3P during the week, so I can play on the weekends with my GT3 and Spyder RS.
the Model 3 is a ground breaking car with pros/cons - but many many people fail to understand just how good it is because there are some glaring flaws - for it's price point and general market segment I"m hard to pressed to honestly consider an alternative - and apparently the new Model 3 has sorted the suspension such that it's much better ride and some build quality improvements - honestly it's better than most any mid-range ICE car and only bested by much much much expensive cars with soul, but as a daily driver for no muss and no fuss it's simply hard to beat if you give it a chance…

I agree with your assessment - 911's all day long and a beater "a->b" car for everything else.
Drifting (01-29-2024)
Old 01-29-2024 | 11:36 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

How do PFS leases work? I want to lease the Macan 4 for a few months to get the $7,500 tax credit. What are the early lease termination and/or lease buyout fees?
RList911 (04-22-2024)
Old 01-30-2024 | 02:48 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Clearly the solution is to not live in the frozen tundra of Alberta. Your use case doesn't work for EV. Stick to Gas.
-10 here is the same as -10 somewhere else and the same with their mild temp range. The range should be identical but apparently where they are pulling their numbers from for city driving is downhill both ways.

If anyone can find someone getting 90wh/km in a tesla as an average for city driving let me know.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new electric Macan?