Sponsored by:

Should I? Or shouldn't I?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2023 | 11:34 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr. G7
I beg to disagree. 2020 introduction + first year + rush to market. Recipe for disaster, right?
That's your hypothesis, right?

Do you have evidence to back it up
The following users liked this post:
CodyBigdog (02-25-2024)
Old 12-15-2023 | 06:12 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

RE: The life of traction batteries on EV’s

Multiple, longterm studies on the SoC health of the traction battery, has shown a decrease of 1-2% per year drop in the max SoC. This is dependent on a number of variables, including the number of deep re-charges per year. The study that I saw, from Germany, assumed an average mileage of 15 km/year.

So, the “average” EV will drop between 10-20% in its SoC capacity, with a commensurate drop in range, over 10 years. But the fact remains, even with a 50% drop in the max SoC, the car still drives, is still functional. For many of us that only use our EV’s for trips around town, or short commutes to work, etc, this is not a deal breaker. But the press, and EV naysayers, love to harp on the negative.

The following 2 users liked this post by CodyBigdog:
24Neptune (01-16-2024), daveo4porsche (12-16-2023)
Old 12-17-2023 | 03:00 AM
NF4710
Pro

Originally Posted by Dr. G7
I beg to disagree. 2020 introduction + first year + rush to market. Recipe for disaster, right?
Im sure 2020s had a few more small issues but largely they have been fine. Happy to be proved wrong if you have any objective data ? Hell compared to the potential leaking batteries I’d fathom any 2020 issue would be quite insignificant.

NF
Old 12-17-2023 | 09:00 AM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NF4710
Im sure 2020s had a few more small issues but largely they have been fine. Happy to be proved wrong if you have any objective data ? Hell compared to the potential leaking batteries I’d fathom any 2020 issue would be quite insignificant.

NF
I believe the most significant difference is that the 2020's do not have plug and charge, many deficiencies have been fixed via software
Old 01-16-2024 | 06:41 PM
24Neptune
AutoX

I’m very new to Taycan…3 days to be exact lol. We did A LOT of research and test drove the etron GT and the base sedan Taycan. Most everything we’ve seen and heard indicated the base is plenty of power for a DD and some spirited driving thrown in and it sure is!

I don’t see the need for 4S and above unless a base anything just isn’t good enough from a ‘status’ perspective. And I’m not saying that from a judgmental place…I resemble that remark. If nothing else, I’m a big badge snob…German or walk basically. Luckily I can afford this attitude.

I traded a MY23 BMW 840i which is an AMAZING DD and honestly just did the test drives to humor hubby…he’s wanted an EV for awhile. I didn’t expect to like either EV better than the 8…but I did, so we leased the Taycan on Saturday.

My novice Taycan advice is try it, and at least test drive a base. I think you’ll be more than pleased with the power as a DD.
Old 01-17-2024 | 02:13 PM
thigos
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NF4710
. The 2023s seem to have the same small issues and may be worse when you consider the potential battery leakage issues.

NF
What are the potential battery leakage issues, and are they isolated to 23 cars?
Old 01-18-2024 | 05:10 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Originally Posted by CarAholic
Agreed my 30-60 remark was 5-8 years from now not since new. I truthfully don't see the 4S even in the 60's next year still think they will be 70's.

I'm seeing no issues 2020 4S's below $60k for mid 20K mileage and Turbo's in the mid-70's.
Old 01-29-2024 | 01:55 AM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

I had the opportunity to take a fairly heavily optioned 4S out for a rainy Saturday afternoon. Impressions:

1. The Taycan is an absolutely gorgeous car to these eyes. Even more so when you have some time to drink in the details.
2. Holy crap is getting in and out a pain! Not sure if it’s the seat location relative to the b-pillar, the LOW seating position, or the relatively small opening but I was quite surprised T this aspect after getting in and out of the car multiple times during my time with it. My 911 is far easier in this regard.
3. Very, very comfortable once seated and “adjusted” properly. Everything within reach, decent headroom (demo had the adjustable dimming pano roof and 18-ways).
4. Visibility generally very good except direct to the rear with the heavily raked rear screen.
5. It felt like a Porsche.
6. It felt “high end” to the touch and looked the part as well without being excessive or flashy. Demo had full leather, heated and cooled seats, and Bose.
7. The driving experience was beyond expectations. Sure it’s quick but that’s not what really got my attention. It was the car’s rock solid feel and very sports car like abilities that had me stunned. How, HOW does Porsche make a 5000lb plus car disguise its mass so well?

Still lots to consider on this journey to Taycan (I know myself well enough that I’m fairly confident I’ll eventually have one). Biggest concerns at this point: pricing and reliability.
flygdchman (01-30-2024)
Old 01-29-2024 | 10:02 AM
Rsess
Advanced

Default Keep my 4 year old 4s or take some equity and move on

Long time lurker. I had 4 911s before my current 2020 taycan 4s. In toronto canada. Love the car. No issues. At 45,000 km now. Lease is coming up in fall 2024. 68k buy back. Cdn. In december I had 20k in equity for a 2023 new 4s. But that’s another story. Should I just buy the car and the Porsche warranty for 2k a year. Or move on. To new macan ev. Taycan is going to be too expensive to lease these days. I am a bit afraid of a six or seven year old taycan receiving timely (albeit free with warranty) Feel free to comment.
timothymoffat (01-29-2024)
Old 01-29-2024 | 10:14 AM
ShiftyWolf
Advanced

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
I had the opportunity to take a fairly heavily optioned 4S out for a rainy Saturday afternoon. Impressions:

... getting in and out [is] a pain! Not sure if it’s the seat location relative to the b-pillar, the LOW seating position, or the relatively small opening but I was quite surprised T this aspect after getting in and out of the car multiple times during my time with it. My 911 is far easier in this regard.
I immediately noticed this when I first test drove the Taycan. I have comfort access enabled and had to adjust how I enter but have since found entry/exit pretty simple. Basically, I step in past the steering wheel, then use the wheel for support as I "slide" down the seatback. Once sitting, bring in my outer leg and I'm ready to go.

Well wishes on your decision.
timothymoffat (01-29-2024)
Old 02-24-2024 | 09:26 AM
EXOTIC4
Advanced

Mid 70’s seems the # for a good spec/ low mile 20 turbo.
Old 02-24-2024 | 11:11 PM
HoYeah
Rennlist Member

Default I did and got burned.

Canadian on the East Coast here.

Last September I bought a new Taycan Turbo S as an agreement with dealer for an allocation on a Dakar at MSRP.

Fast forward to today, the market for exorbitantly priced EV has collapsed (go figure…), dealer is stuck with a LOT of unsold 2023’s, the used market has tanked and the new Taycan will hit the floor soon.

Now my still brand new Taycan that never left the dealer showroom, with zero miles on it is now worth 50% of it’s MSRP and is not moving. That’s an expensive 4 months.

If I were on the market for a Taycan now, I’d pitch a stupid number at any dealer with one on the lot that i like and wouldn’t be surprised if they would accept it right there.

Just saying…
flygdchman (02-25-2024)
Old 02-25-2024 | 10:03 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Originally Posted by HoYeah
Canadian on the East Coast here.

Last September I bought a new Taycan Turbo S as an agreement with dealer for an allocation on a Dakar at MSRP.

Fast forward to today, the market for exorbitantly priced EV has collapsed (go figure…), dealer is stuck with a LOT of unsold 2023’s, the used market has tanked and the new Taycan will hit the floor soon.

Now my still brand new Taycan that never left the dealer showroom, with zero miles on it is now worth 50% of it’s MSRP and is not moving. That’s an expensive 4 months.

If I were on the market for a Taycan now, I’d pitch a stupid number at any dealer with one on the lot that i like and wouldn’t be surprised if they would accept it right there.

Just saying…
That is a sad story, especially given that there are two new Dakars sitting on dealer’s lots in Canada for sale (OK, at a premium, but still).

https://finder.porsche.com/ca/en-CA/...ory=911-dakkar

Last edited by kayjh; 02-25-2024 at 10:06 AM.
Old 02-25-2024 | 12:02 PM
HoYeah
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kayjh
That is a sad story, especially given that there are two new Dakars sitting on dealer’s lots in Canada for sale (OK, at a premium, but still).

https://finder.porsche.com/ca/en-CA/...ory=911-dakkar
yeah, but who could have tell way back then… I entered the deal willingly. I bit the bullet.

That was part of my meeting speech with them last week, THA-car 😜 will end up costing me same or even more than 2nd hand market right now.

To “soften” the fact, I ended up getting an allocation for a 718 SRS and a unconfirmed “discount” on the PTS Targa 4s I had currently in production… I’m still not sure if that’s a good “deal” or not.

Dakar is stuck at entry port for already over a month now because of a ban off a Chip made in banned country.

911 Targa 4s PTS is stuck in the PTS line problem

I hope to have a lead on the Taycan so I trade the hot potato asap to cut the losses… I guess the first car I will see is the SRS with a production month of May?!…

flygdchman (02-25-2024)
Old 02-25-2024 | 03:38 PM
JOSCAL
Racer

OP I think we were both active on the 991.2 T thread a while ago?

I’ve just picked up a new Cross Turismo 4 and am absolutely over the moon with it. I’ve had more than my fair share of great cars from Evo 6 to M5’s then Porsche and honestly the Taycan is a fantastic machine (even in base form!)

Mine is contract hired through my company at zero personal risk from the increasingly bad depreciation, just hand it back after 3 years😉

I’d only ever finance a Taycan now, fixed costs and no worries.

Quick Reply: Should I? Or shouldn't I?