Sponsored by:

Panamera or Taycan conundrum

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2023, 04:42 PM
Brando123b
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Panamera or Taycan conundrum

Hey everyone - looking for a little insight here.

I'm having a very difficult time deciding if I want to go with a Panamera or Taycan as my next vehicle. I've driven SUVs the past 15 years and really looking for a sexy, performance vehicle. I was originally deadset on a Panamera - however after driving a Taycan, it has really grown on me.

Here are some thoughts...

Panamera GTS/Turbo:
  • Larger, more luxurious (I'm 6'3") and have a 3 month old baby (car seat fits better)
  • Exhaust note - after having boring cars for years, the exhaust note on a GTS is so visceral and exciting.
  • No charging/range issues. I can just drive the car without any planning or consideration for where I'm going to charge.

Taycan 4S or Turbo:
  • Better looking (subjective)
  • Faster, smoother, quieter
  • Potentially less maintenance
  • Less expensive (likely $15,000 less than an equivalent year GTS or Turbo Panamera)

From all of your Porsche folks - thoughts? Is the exhaust note something that gets old after a while? Is the Taycan range and charging infrastructure frustrating (I can charge at home, but will take 3-4 road trips in the 250 mile range evey year).

Any and all thoughts/feedback welcome - thank you.

The following users liked this post:
daveo4porsche (11-11-2023)
Old 11-10-2023, 07:29 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

It comes down to your preference, and you've neatly summarized the differences.
If I was in the market for an ICE equipped vehicle, I wouldn't choose Panamera because of it's awkward proportions, in my opinion.
I choose Taycan because it comes close to the Mission E concept, and no longer have to stop to refuel because I charge at home.
Make sure it has the GM3 Porsche Electric Sport Sound, so it sounds like a Repulsorcraft.
Old 11-10-2023, 07:55 PM
Brando123b
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the perspective.

Old 11-10-2023, 08:49 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,703 Likes on 1,041 Posts

The taycan is much much quieter and smoother. If you have ready access to charging at home or work, it’s much more convenient for around town / commute / heavy traffic.

The panamera does have more interior room and more range.
Old 11-11-2023, 01:37 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Love my Taycan, but it is hard to get in and out of and the back seat and ingress is tight. If you’re looking for a sporty two door EV that they forced four doors onto, get the Taycan. If you’re looking for a true four door sedan for the family, with a touch of sport thrown in, get the Panamera. Or the new 2024 Cayenne S.
The following 2 users liked this post by Archimedes:
Der-Schwabe (11-11-2023), justabout (11-11-2023)
Old 11-11-2023, 05:52 AM
TopPorscheFan
Advanced

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Brando123b

I'm having a very difficult time deciding if I want to go with a Panamera or Taycan as my next vehicle. I've driven SUVs the past 15 years and really looking for a sexy, performance vehicle. I was originally deadset on a Panamera - however after driving a Taycan, it has really grown on me.

Panamera GTS/Turbo:
  • Larger, more luxurious (I'm 6'3") and have a 3 month old baby (car seat fits better)
  • Exhaust note - after having boring cars for years, the exhaust note on a GTS is so visceral and exciting.
  • No charging/range issues. I can just drive the car without any planning or consideration for where I'm going to charge.

Taycan 4S or Turbo:
  • Less expensive (likely $15,000 less than an equivalent year GTS or Turbo Panamera)

From all of your Porsche folks - thoughts? Is the exhaust note something that gets old after a while? Is the Taycan range and charging infrastructure frustrating (I can charge at home, but will take 3-4 road trips in the 250 mile range evey year).

Quite likely you will be very frustrated with an EV in the current state of charging infrastructure.
The EV market has tanked in the past four to six months, and it is not looking promising for the near to medium future. So you’ll experience significant depreciation either Taycan vs. the Panamera.
If EVs work out in the marketplace and they sort out the infrastructure, this new normal won’t happen before the current EV market settles down. Meaning… if EVs aren’t the flash in the pan I believe they are, you will still experience significant depreciation because that is the long term market, whereas the Taycan is in medium to short term market for your likely length of ownership.

The Taycan is like a computer, in a way, it will be obsolete quickly, whereas the Panamera will have a more traditional obsolescence curve.

Just MHO…. Nothing against EVs, I believe they have their place and use in the marketplace but not at the scale some have been hoping for.

Old 11-11-2023, 09:14 AM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 165 Posts

there really shouldn't be any sort of conundrum, either you want an EV or you want to remain driver gassers.
both cars are great choices, I prefer EVs but the panemara's interiors are very nice.
AlexCeres (11-11-2023)
Old 11-11-2023, 11:29 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by TopPorscheFan
Meaning… if EVs aren’t the flash in the pan I believe they are…

Nothing against EVs...

(I snipped all the nonsense…)
The following 5 users liked this post by Archimedes:
AlexCeres (11-11-2023), Brando123b (11-11-2023), daveo4porsche (11-11-2023), flygdchman (11-13-2023), spdracerut (11-12-2023)
Old 11-11-2023, 01:14 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,968 Likes on 1,926 Posts

Originally Posted by TopPorscheFan
Quite likely you will be very frustrated with an EV in the current state of charging infrastructure.
The EV market has tanked in the past four to six months, and it is not looking promising for the near to medium future. So you’ll experience significant depreciation either Taycan vs. the Panamera.
If EVs work out in the marketplace and they sort out the infrastructure, this new normal won’t happen before the current EV market settles down. Meaning… if EVs aren’t the flash in the pan I believe they are, you will still experience significant depreciation because that is the long term market, whereas the Taycan is in medium to short term market for your likely length of ownership.

The Taycan is like a computer, in a way, it will be obsolete quickly, whereas the Panamera will have a more traditional obsolescence curve.

Just MHO…. Nothing against EVs, I believe they have their place and use in the marketplace but not at the scale some have been hoping for.
I'm waiting for this whole computers, internet and cell phones thing to blow over also - seems like the likely outcome.
The following 5 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
AlexCeres (11-13-2023), d00d (11-12-2023), flygdchman (11-13-2023), thebishman (11-11-2023), whiz944 (11-13-2023)
Old 11-11-2023, 01:19 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,968 Likes on 1,926 Posts

Panamera GTS/Turbo:

Taycan 4S or Turbo:

Panamera is a big lux 4 door sedan that is sporty
Taycan is a low tight sports sedan that values sporty over "lux"

Panamera is a fast cruiser
Taycan is a cruise missile

if you want space - get the Panamera
if you want sport get the Taycan

if you have kids you're better off with a honda Odyssey vs. either one of your choices…

if you want hte quckest EV sedan either the Plaid or the Lucid Saphire Air - the Saphire is getting very very very high marks as a big sports sedan with excellent handling and the fastest production EV money can buy.
The following 4 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
AlexCeres (11-13-2023), Der-Schwabe (11-12-2023), Fang911 (11-11-2023), flygdchman (11-13-2023)
Old 11-11-2023, 02:18 PM
Fang911
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 212 Posts

I was pretty anti-EV (Tesla, really) for a long time- didn't like how they drove + questionable build quality + meh interior design / materials + econocar seats, and so on. Test drove a CPO'ed Taycan 4S last year with the 21" Mission E wheels and felt the ride was a touch stiff and was also told by multiple sales advisors to avoid 2020-21 Taycans due to reliability concerns. Was very happy with my '23 Cayenne GTS but it was intermittently throwing a "suspension failure" CEL in the cold. Test drove the '23 RWD Taycan and found it to check all the boxes- the perfect solo DD which can be used to shuttle kids around in a pinch although back seat space is limited. I don't miss the grunt / roar of the ICE engine particularly coming home after a long day in traffic.

The answer to your question may also depend on what else is in your garage. If I had to choose a single car, would prolly stick with ICE (ie panny / cayenne GTS) but if you have other weekend options, the Taycan may make more sense as a DD-

Last edited by Fang911; 11-11-2023 at 02:46 PM.
daveo4porsche (11-11-2023)
Old 11-11-2023, 03:27 PM
sfy1505
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 37 Posts

I had a 2017 Panamera 4S when it was first out and drove it for 3 years, and was happy to see it go. Followed that with a 2020 BMW M850i Gran Coupe for 3 years. Practically the only thing I didn’t like better about it as compared to the Panamera was that it wasn’t a hatchback. I have now had my ‘23 Taycan GTS for nine months and it is the best of the three. Best looking, tightest handling and fastest. I do not miss the ICE (I also have a ‘22 Targa 4S). True, it has a little smaller interior than the Panamera and the trunk holds less, but the handling/speed/compactness more than makes up for it. It’s easy to charge at home and I, too, only make about four 250 mile road trips a year, so it’s really no big deal. Again, it comes down to personal preference, but the Taycan is my choice.
The following 3 users liked this post by sfy1505:
daveo4porsche (11-11-2023), Der-Schwabe (11-12-2023), Fang911 (11-11-2023)
Old 11-12-2023, 03:10 PM
75ZRO78
Track Day

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got 2 Taycans (4S and Taycan Cross Turismo) that my wife and I use as our daily drivers. A few thoughts:
  • love the styling, ride and performance of the Taycan. It's the perfect daily for me short the travel anxiety for long distance trips. Just an amazing car to drive.
  • I'm 6ft and I've had to adjust how I get into and out of the Taycan. Where most cars you can slide right in and out, the design of the cockpit is less ideal for larger people. The 4S is pretty tight in the back in particular the headspace. The Cross Turismo seems to offer a good bit more headroom.
  • if you're into performance cars like me then an EV just doesn't scratch the itch. I have a couple of weekend toys that do that for me.
  • Trip anxiety is real especially if you're in places like Texas. It only takes a few charging spots to be down to get stranded between the bigger cities (Austin, Houston, Dallas). This is getting better and is probably not totally warranted.

Last edited by 75ZRO78; 11-12-2023 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-13-2023, 07:10 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,011 Likes on 5,234 Posts

Panamera GTS/Turbo:

Taycan 4S or Turbo:

Given your use case highlighted above, the Taycan is a no brainer.

Buying a car for its exhaust note is a bit like marrying a girl because of her breast size. Interesting, but those DDD bras are expensive.

Last edited by ipse dixit; 11-13-2023 at 07:12 PM.
AlexCeres (11-13-2023)
Old 11-13-2023, 10:24 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,703 Likes on 1,041 Posts

The road trips usually aren’t a big deal because as others have noted before usually the driver needs a recharge too. A sit down meal instead of bad gas station junk food isn’t such a terrible burden.

Quick Reply: Panamera or Taycan conundrum