Sponsored by:

TAYCAN PECATL DELIVERY, 1,302 MILES HOME

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2023, 08:06 PM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 160 Posts
Default TAYCAN PECATL DELIVERY, 1,302 MILES HOME

Hey fellow Taycan fans! I think many of you will find this video of interest. You can click on the link at YouTube to be notified when it debuts this Friday morning. This is the first video in a series documenting and reviewing this heavily optioned 2023 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, taking delivery at Porsche Experience Center in Atlanta and driving home 1,302 miles. It was quite the experience, and we definitely formed some opinions on certain options.

I hope you enjoy this video, and the full review to follow. Thank you for your support!

Thomas
The following 3 users liked this post by ThomasCarreraGTS:
AlterZgo (11-11-2023), Dr. G7 (07-28-2023), landsteam (07-31-2023)
Old 07-28-2023, 12:18 PM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

Video is live now, thank you for your support!
Old 07-28-2023, 01:16 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,968 Likes on 1,926 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasCarreraGTS
Video is live now, thank you for your support!
wow - great car - sh*tty charging network…it will hopefully get better but it's going to take a while

welcome to Taycan - love the car - hate the charging network! Glad you got the TeslaTap makes some things easier.
The following users liked this post:
ThomasCarreraGTS (07-28-2023)
Old 07-28-2023, 01:21 PM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

Thank you for watching and for your support. This drive home was a worst case scenario. In normal usage, we charge in our garage, but yes, I'm sure the network will improve greatly now that manufacturers have invested so much and committed to getting returns on new EV sales. The car itself is simply incredible. We are getting up to 311 mile range around town, and the Taycan is simply a blast to drive!
daveo4porsche (07-28-2023)
Old 07-28-2023, 01:24 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 716 Likes on 498 Posts

Thanks for posting. I'm curious to know if the vario light panorama roof shows perfectly clear when in the transparent setting or it is "milky" at all. I'm on the fence with respect to that option. Thanks
Old 07-28-2023, 01:30 PM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

@kayjh Thanks for watching! It is clear in sections where "milky" is not selected. It is a cool party trick, and here in Dallas it certainly helps reduce glare from the bright sun, but for most I don't think it represents a good value. I would not order it in normal climates. The Thermal and Noise Reducing glass is a winner, as is InnoDrive and Rear Axle Steering.
Old 07-28-2023, 01:41 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 716 Likes on 498 Posts

@kayjh Thanks for watching! It is clear in sections where "milky" is not selected. It is a cool party trick, and here in Dallas it certainly helps reduce glare from the bright sun, but for most I don't think it represents a good value. I would not order it in normal climates. The Thermal and Noise Reducing glass is a winner, as is InnoDrive and Rear Axle Steering.
Thanks Thomas, I'll have to try to find one with the option and try it out. But, in my wife's office, they utilize similar technology in the law conference rooms but when it is turned off (see through) it isn't the same as looking through normal glass, the view out is still a bit milky. I wouldn't order the option for my Taycan if in the transparent mode, looking through the glass didn't look exactly the same as looking through the pano glass of a Taycan without the option. Someone had posted that the view through the noise cancelling glass is also affected by the laminated glass, but I have't looked through that glass either.
Old 07-28-2023, 02:43 PM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kayjh
Thanks Thomas, I'll have to try to find one with the option and try it out. But, in my wife's office, they utilize similar technology in the law conference rooms but when it is turned off (see through) it isn't the same as looking through normal glass, the view out is still a bit milky. I wouldn't order the option for my Taycan if in the transparent mode, looking through the glass didn't look exactly the same as looking through the pano glass of a Taycan without the option. Someone had posted that the view through the noise cancelling glass is also affected by the laminated glass, but I have't looked through that glass either.
Yes, definitely try to find one if you can. I just went out to my garage to confirm, but the glass appears clear to me (and my wife) from the inside, when not frosted. Keep in mind, it is designed to look clear from the inside, but you will notice an orange hue from the outside, as seen on the video in the segment where my wife is driving the car away from Porsche. Also, the glass comes standard with the dark tint, which is again very noticeable from the outside, but not so much from the inside.
Old 07-28-2023, 07:50 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 324 Likes on 265 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNXjpa43uaE

Hey fellow Taycan fans! I think many of you will find this video of interest...
You drove right by me, in Baton Rouge! The Bordeaux red interior is gorgeous ...among others.

Excellent video, commentary and real life experiences. Love the "four hours to charge on a five hour trip." And just decided to called it a day.

Been there, done that.

Last edited by Dr. G7; 07-28-2023 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-28-2023, 08:53 PM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr. G7
You drove right by me, in Baton Rouge! The Bordeaux red interior is gorgeous ...among others.

Excellent video, commentary and real life experiences. Love the "four hours to charge on a five hour trip." And just decided to called it a day.

Been there, done that.
I wish I'd known, we could have met up at Cane's! Thanks for watching, and for your support. The delivery experience was fantastic; Porsche and their team did a great job. The charging infrastructure is just in it's infancy, but I consider it a win that we were able to get home, 1,300 miles our first time ever in an EV. Things will only get better, quickly, as manufacturers pump money into the charging networks, to help them realize the return on their massive investments in new vehicles. It's all driven by money- they have spent a fortune gearing up for EV cars and you can bet they want to get their returns. The ongoing acceptance of and conversion to Tesla's NACS is a good example of their realization.

We love the interior and the whole car, frankly. It truly is the most exciting daily driver we've ever experienced, and with over 5,000 trouble-free miles now, it is still as appealing as it was on day one.

Thanks for watching, and I hope you enjoy the other videos on the way!

Thomas

daveo4porsche (07-28-2023)
Old 07-31-2023, 10:57 AM
718GTS
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

I believe one thing to remember is that the Porsche account connection to the EA network takes 24-48 hours to activate.
Meaning if you take your car right after delivery and go to an EA charger the car won't be recognized.
I had the same issue when I took delivery at the Porsche Delivery Center in Atlanta last year. The Porsche rep took me to their local EA charger right away and it didn't work.
It takes few days (at least for me it did).
Since then, after 1 year and 11,000 miles, zero issues with the EA network. I consider myself lucky when I read other people stories but I have to admit it worked great 99% of the time with good charging speed (up to 260 kW - that's the max I've seen so far).
Enjoy your Taycan!!
Old 07-31-2023, 11:06 AM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 718GTS
I believe one thing to remember is that the Porsche account connection to the EA network takes 24-48 hours to activate.
Meaning if you take your car right after delivery and go to an EA charger the car won't be recognized.
I had the same issue when I took delivery at the Porsche Delivery Center in Atlanta last year. The Porsche rep took me to their local EA charger right away and it didn't work.
It takes few days (at least for me it did).
Since then, after 1 year and 11,000 miles, zero issues with the EA network. I consider myself lucky when I read other people stories but I have to admit it worked great 99% of the time with good charging speed (up to 260 kW - that's the max I've seen so far).
Enjoy your Taycan!!

Agree, there is a delay in the two companies syncing up their records, as I mentioned in the video. After the initial 2 days, we have had no issue just plugging in and charging. And yes, the fastest charge we saw was also around 260 KW. It would really help if Porsche told customers to expect the delay. Instead, they blamed it on EA and EA blamed it on Porsche. We crossed over 6,100 miles last night, and since our drive from Atlanta to our home, we have not used a single charger on the road. My wife does all her charging at home, overnight. We considered our drive from Atlanta to be a win, as I said in the end of the video, because we were both EV rookies, with no special planning and we made it the entire trip without getting stranded and with no big problems. And of course the national charging network will only get better, faster. The Taycan is absolutely the most amazing car we have ever driven, and a terrific daily driver. Thank you for watching!

Last edited by ThomasCarreraGTS; 07-31-2023 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-31-2023, 07:40 PM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Received 853 Likes on 449 Posts

Thanks for the video. We're doing pecla picup this weekend & drive 400 mile home. How can we get better prepared for the EA charging?
ThomasCarreraGTS (07-31-2023)
Old 07-31-2023, 07:53 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 784 Likes on 569 Posts

Thanks for sharing……..
ThomasCarreraGTS (07-31-2023)
Old 07-31-2023, 07:54 PM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Yc911Kid
Thanks for the video. We're doing pecla picup this weekend & drive 400 mile home. How can we get better prepared for the EA charging?

@Yc911Kid Thank you for watching, and for your support! You are absolutely going to LOVE the experience!

As you saw in the video, for the first couple days, the EA system did not recognize our car. This meant that my wife had to call EA, while standing next to the charger, and spend about 30 minutes on the phone, getting things to work. Once she did this, the charger did turn on and all went well. Until the next stop. After a couple days of this, we were able to plug and charge, which was fantastic. Keep in my the CCS fast charge port is on the Passenger side, so some chargers will be more difficult to access than others. The cables really are too short, something I had originally discussed in the video, but decided to edit out at the last minute in the interest of time. Also, they want you to lock your car while it is being charged. I recommend you download and register the My Porsche app, Plug Share app, and the ABRP (A Better Route Planner) app.

Please be sure to let us know how your experience was, and congratulations on your new Taycan. I'm confident you will love it like we love ours!

Thomas

Quick Reply: TAYCAN PECATL DELIVERY, 1,302 MILES HOME