My Journey to Date

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2023, 01:30 AM
Psu82Eric
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
Default My Journey to Date

History
Funny how things happen. I had a list of cars I was considering as a retirement gift for myself and the Taycan wasn't one of them. The list included a 911, Corvette, Shelby, Lexus LC. My current ride is an Infiniti G37S coupe that I have had lots of fun and enjoyment driving. I cut the list down to the 911 and LC as my top picks.
  • The LC sounds magnificent and drives great, but the interior interfaces were not great, also for a pretty big vehicle it would have been tough to fit my golf clubs into. And insurance on it was ridiculous (almost $500/yr more than the 911). I'm 66 with 2 tickets and no accidents during my life living in a small southern town for the past 35 yrs.
  • The first time I remember really noticing a 911 was during the International Race of Champions in the early 1970's on ABCs Wide World of Sports. Brightly colored 911s with decals with the names of drivers from all different types of racing. I dreamed of one day owning one. So I go to the Porsche dealer in Jacksonville, Fl and they had no base 992 911s (either new or used) to drive. There was a $300K turbo I was scared to walk near, much less ask to drive. On-line searches revealed all 992s were move than original sticker and above what I wanted to pay.
The sales consultant was a smooth operator and asked if I had ever driven an electric car. A base sedan with some good options was eye opening, steering was great, acceleration instantaneous and handling smooth. The technology worked and I was impressed. However on my way home I started thinking about range anxiety and were there any chargers near anywhere I drive.

Once home the internet was my friend and I found Rennlist and TaycanForum with hours spent investigating my concerns. Lots of great information and one thing I noted on the posts was that things are much better in 2023 than in 2020. Certainly not perfect, but with a little planning, not a disaster. Dave's road-warrior EV charging kit has gotten much smaller and ABRP and other software have made trip planning much easier and reliable.

I ordered a CT4 with a planned build date in Oct and delivery date at the end of Nov. My current build is PR4WYW28 with a lockout date in early Sept. In preparation for it I have started a hardware list of components based on the experiences on these forums:
  • Downloaded ABRP, PlugShare and the other charging apps to my phone
  • Pickup checklist from TaycanForum
  • Wallbox Level 2 EVSE - already have
  • Tesla tap Mini 80 amp
  • NEMA 6-50 to 14-50 adapter
  • Zunsport grill guards - already have
  • Suncoast wheel mounting guide bolts
  • Dash cam
Still thinking about the following:
  • Wheelbands rim protectors
  • ppf on front of car - plenty of discussion and opinions on the forums
Opinions as always are welcome, what else am I missing?

The following users liked this post:
flygdchman (08-05-2023)
Old 07-25-2023, 10:42 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,968 Likes on 1,926 Posts

Originally Posted by Psu82Eric
History
Funny how things happen. I had a list of cars I was considering as a retirement gift for myself and the Taycan wasn't one of them. The list included a 911, Corvette, Shelby, Lexus LC. My current ride is an Infiniti G37S coupe that I have had lots of fun and enjoyment driving. I cut the list down to the 911 and LC as my top picks.
  • The LC sounds magnificent and drives great, but the interior interfaces were not great, also for a pretty big vehicle it would have been tough to fit my golf clubs into. And insurance on it was ridiculous (almost $500/yr more than the 911). I'm 66 with 2 tickets and no accidents during my life living in a small southern town for the past 35 yrs.
  • The first time I remember really noticing a 911 was during the International Race of Champions in the early 1970's on ABCs Wide World of Sports. Brightly colored 911s with decals with the names of drivers from all different types of racing. I dreamed of one day owning one. So I go to the Porsche dealer in Jacksonville, Fl and they had no base 992 911s (either new or used) to drive. There was a $300K turbo I was scared to walk near, much less ask to drive. On-line searches revealed all 992s were move than original sticker and above what I wanted to pay.
The sales consultant was a smooth operator and asked if I had ever driven an electric car. A base sedan with some good options was eye opening, steering was great, acceleration instantaneous and handling smooth. The technology worked and I was impressed. However on my way home I started thinking about range anxiety and were there any chargers near anywhere I drive.

Once home the internet was my friend and I found Rennlist and TaycanForum with hours spent investigating my concerns. Lots of great information and one thing I noted on the posts was that things are much better in 2023 than in 2020. Certainly not perfect, but with a little planning, not a disaster. Dave's road-warrior EV charging kit has gotten much smaller and ABRP and other software have made trip planning much easier and reliable.

I ordered a CT4 with a planned build date in Oct and delivery date at the end of Nov. My current build is PR4WYW28 with a lockout date in early Sept. In preparation for it I have started a hardware list of components based on the experiences on these forums:
  • Tesla tap Mini 80 amp
  • Dash cam
random thoughts

TeslaTap yes - 100% yes - 80 amps only required if you optioned the 19.2 kW charger for North America - 60 amp TeslaTap is sufficient for normal/standard Taycan 11 kW onboard charger.
6-50 to 14-50 _IS_ part of my current recommended roadwarrior kit - but to be clear it's usage is very very very very very x 10000 low - it's really there as an "oh sh*t" I'm out of juice and the one 240V socket I can find is a arc welder plug in the local mechanic's shop - so it's an "emergency" adapter vs. something you'll use even once a month - just to be clear ;-) Same for the Shorepower adapter.

Wallbox is on a 40/50/60 amp breaker?

you're going to love it!
Old 07-25-2023, 10:49 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

History

• Tesla tap Mini 80 amp
  • Dash cam
ran your build code

I "see"
  • 400V/150 kW charge option - good!!
  • NEMA 6-50 powersuppy cable - question???? NEMA 14-50 is "standard" - you should only order the 6-50 power supply cable if you _KNOW_ for a fact you'll be using the 6-50 plug commonly - I'd stick with the standard/included NEMA 14-50 power supply cable (it's more common and useful) - and gain access to a 6-50 socket via $20-$30 Amazon adapter
my recommendation is NEMA 14-50 native power supply cable for your PMC+ (included with the car) - and if you must have the piece of mind of NEMA 6-50 access this this $29 adapter from Amazon will do the trick for your road warrior "kit" -
Amazon Amazon

I would consider the power chargeport - you plug/unplug EV's on a daily basis - and it's just very very nice to have the "car" close the charge port as you're hanging up the cable - but it's by no means "necessary" - but it does bring me personally daily happiness - I use to drive off with my charge port open about once a week on my 2012 Model S P85 - the power charge port cover on my 2014 Model S P85D was super nice and I haven't owned an EV since that doesn't have a power port cover

roof rails are generically useful and impossible to retrofit - when it's an option I always get them - just too useful when you need them.

I find puddle lights useful at night in unfamiliar places for gauging distance as I step out of the vehicle - they are not just "vanity" as I've gotten older they are "functional"

the leather interior options and racetex headliner will give the car a much more luxurious "feel" at much greater costs - depending on how long you keep your cars I'd recommend serious consideration (if you keep them longer the better interiors will "age" more gracefully from an owner satisfaction point of view - IMHO)

$130 pre-wired for dashcam is a "future proofing" option and cheap…

I "fixed" your build for you - you're welcome - - and it's easy to spend other people's money - so I'll understand if you don't agree - PRA12TV1 $133,670 vs. your build ($126,220)

added "leather" - and racetex head liner (I also like sunvisors and racetex mirror - but trying to save "some" money)

glossblack mirror base to complement your gloss black window trim
roof rails
power charge port door
puddle lights
swap the 6-50 for the 14-50 power supply cable
etc…
the main cost difference is the "leather" interior - which think you'll find to be "less" hard plastic than the standard interior and really upgrades the cabin "feel" - the rest of the changes are piddly crap but will add functionality and longevity.

remove the $500 sports sound - to save money on the build - it's the easiest option to "drop" if cost is a factor.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 07-25-2023 at 11:19 AM.
kort677 (07-25-2023)
Old 07-25-2023, 03:00 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
random thoughts

TeslaTap yes - 100% yes - 80 amps only required if you optioned the 19.2 kW charger for North America - 60 amp TeslaTap is sufficient for normal/standard Taycan 11 kW onboard charger.
6-50 to 14-50 _IS_ part of my current recommended roadwarrior kit - but to be clear it's usage is very very very very very x 10000 low - it's really there as an "oh sh*t" I'm out of juice and the one 240V socket I can find is a arc welder plug in the local mechanic's shop - so it's an "emergency" adapter vs. something you'll use even once a month - just to be clear ;-) Same for the Shorepower adapter...
Agree with Dave - the 14-50 is defacto standard. The huge reason is that large RVs use them - and there are thousands of RV parks and campgrounds offering "50 amp" service all over N America. Makes for a nice secondary/tertiary network of potential charging sites. I wouldn't bother with 6-50 or SS-50 unless you hang out at welding shops or marinas.

What is also useful in a road warrior kit is a 30 amp (24 amp continuous) capability. Common clothes dryer receptacles are either 14-30 (newer than 1996 homes) or 10-30 (older homes). So if you stay overnight at a friend or relatives house, or airbnb, there may be a handy clothes dryer receptacle nearby to use. Porsche offers a 14-30 adapter for their mobile connector, though it is expensive. It is a little surprising that Porsche doesn't offer a 10-30 adapter. (But maybe something like
Amazon Amazon
would work.) There are other 30 amp receptacles that are appropriate for certain use cases - TT-30 (travel trailer 120V "30 amp" at RV parks), 6-30 (welding shops again), L14-30 (generators), etc. Again, inexpensive adapters from Amazon can handle most of these cases as needed.

This stuff was essential 10 or even 5 years ago. But nowadays the EV infrastructure is getting good enough that it isn't needed as much. Plan your roadtrip with ABRP, then use plugshare to find places to charge in gaps and opportunistically overnight.

Last edited by whiz944; 07-25-2023 at 03:03 PM.
daveo4porsche (07-25-2023)
Old 07-25-2023, 10:42 PM
Psu82Eric
Intermediate

Guys,
Both of your numerous posts have influenced my decision to get a Taycan. The configurator is addictive and very easy as many have said to go wildly over budget! Couple thousand here and there when spending 6 figures is nothing right?
  • Full Leather - Was seriously considering the full leather and think you have tipped me to getting it. The Sales Consultant also told full leather makes a big difference inside.
  • Gloss Black Mirror - Big improvement!
  • 14-50 cable - Absolutely correct, I’m a mechanical engineer by education and have always been told by the EE guys to stay away from electronics! The Amazon adapter will be added to my list.
  • Roof rails - They are a maybe, have a Highlander now and had a Sienna and Mercury Villager over the years and never needed to use it
  • Puddle lights - Are a go since I’m not 25 anymore.
  • Headliner - I got to think more about, not a lover of racetex.
The Wallbox is a 40 amp version and I’ll get the 60 amp Tesla tap. Thanks again for you help, November can’t get here soon enough!
​​​​​​​Eric
The following 2 users liked this post by Psu82Eric:
daveo4porsche (07-25-2023), whiz944 (07-26-2023)
Old 07-26-2023, 12:58 AM
Psu82Eric
Intermediate

One more thing I forgot, can the wiring used for pre-wiring for dash cams be used to wire non-Porsche dash cams?
Old 08-04-2023, 07:18 PM
Psu82Eric
Intermediate

Spoiler

daveo4porsche (08-04-2023)
Old 08-04-2023, 08:23 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,333 Likes on 701 Posts

One more thing I forgot, can the wiring used for pre-wiring for dash cams be used to wire non-Porsche dash cams?
I’d also be interested in knowing this
Old 08-04-2023, 09:56 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Drifting
I’d also be interested in knowing this
I'm pretty sure you could probably figure out how to 'tap' the power for the dash cam - the most interesting thing I find about the Porsche dash cam is apparently you can't use wireless carplay with porscheDash cams - so if you have the Porsche Dashcam you have to use usb/wired carplay…

this one data point makes me speculate that the "prewiring" is simply power and not data - and the dashCams consume the the "wireless" capabilities of the PCM head unit…but again pure speculation on my part.

I spec it on my newer porsche's just because it makes things an option and it's almost less than a tank of gas - so really no reason to skip it.
Psu82Eric (08-19-2023)
Old 10-19-2023, 12:19 PM
Psu82Eric
Intermediate

Update - The car has been manufactured. Got an e-mail from Porsche below

Take a first look at your personal Taycan 4 Cross Turismo.

Congratulations! Your dream has officially become reality.

Delivery date to the dealer is scheduled for Nov 22. I can't wait!

The following 4 users liked this post by Psu82Eric:
AlterZgo (11-08-2023), Der-Schwabe (10-19-2023), MingusDew (10-19-2023), T-Fury (10-19-2023)
Old 10-19-2023, 02:32 PM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,243 Likes on 626 Posts

Update - The car has been manufactured. Got an e-mail from Porsche below

….

Congratulations! Your dream has officially become reality.

Delivery date to the dealer is scheduled for Nov 22. I can't wait!
Hopefully goes quicker for you than ours did. It was 6 months between getting those pictures and picking up the car at the dealer, but now that it’s here it was worth the wait. I think the color is the same as yours, ice grey metallic:

Der-Schwabe (10-19-2023)
Old 10-19-2023, 09:42 PM
Psu82Eric
Intermediate

Close, but mine is Chalk. Hardest decision was the color…
The following 2 users liked this post by Psu82Eric:
flygdchman (10-21-2023), MingusDew (10-21-2023)
Old 10-21-2023, 12:42 PM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,243 Likes on 626 Posts

Close, but mine is Chalk. Hardest decision was the color…
Chalk looks great! I have a neighbor who had a Taycan in that color for a bit, and I definitely enjoyed looking at it! You’re going to love it!
Old 11-01-2023, 06:08 PM
Psu82Eric
Intermediate

Car arrived at port, was loaded on ship and departed for USA. Expected arrival date Nov 21!!!! Gotta find the link to be able to track the ship…
Old 11-08-2023, 10:21 AM
Silververtu
Pro

Received 235 Likes on 175 Posts

Car arrived at port, was loaded on ship and departed for USA. Expected arrival date Nov 21!!!! Gotta find the link to be able to track the ship…
Here you go and congrats on your new build!

MarineTraffic: Global Ship Tracking Intelligence | AIS Marine Traffic

Quick Reply: My Journey to Date